“Large property, good for families.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Peterborough, Canada
“Large property, good for families.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the Westin the night before our Christmas Bahamas cruise. It is a very large hotel/resort. The pools were very nice and the beachfront was kept spotless. There is an abundance of lounge chairs (though saving by one person for a group is allowed). The rooms were very clean and well appointed. They had a grab and go coffee shop within the hotel where you could also get pastries etc. which was nice to have. The only downside is that the restaurants in the hotel were quite expensive and there are no others within walking distance, and it was tough to get concierge assistance due to the large volume of people. Overall it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear ONTfoodie,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed your pre-cruise stay. We are excited to learn that you enjoyed relaxing by the pool as well as the beach. We are also happy to hear that you found Ingredients to be a great feature of the resort. We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Warmest regards,

Karianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the Diplomat for one night using SPG points and cash -- an amazing price of only 4800 points + 90 dollars. I stayed during the peak Xmas week so a regular room was listed at over $250 night.

The front desk check in would have been insane but for the fact that I am SPG Gold. They have a dedicated line for SPG Gold/Platinum holders which made check in way faster. The check in staff were very friendly and explained all of the amenities of the hotel -- and provided me with a bracelet that needed to be worn in the pool and gym areas.

As others have noted, self parking is available across the street for $20 a day. Kind of expensive but there really is no free parking available in the area. Note that there are two garage buildings... the one you enter requires you to drive to the top floor and then drive over a connecting bridge to the other garage which will then let you drive down to the exit. So, if you want to get out of the garage easily, the best option is to drive right through the entire garage as if you were going to exit and park near the last level of the exit. This will allow you to exit the garage rather easily.

I took a look at the gym (I am a gym rat so my requirements are very discerning) and it actually was not a bad gym -- for a hotel. The free weights did not go to high enough weights (but they rarely do at a hotel gym) but they had all the machines you'd need, a smith machine, and plenty of cardio equipment. There is a Crunch gym (recently under new management) at 163rd and Collins for those who are more hard core gym goers.

The room itself -- I had an "issue" with my first room. The front desk staff was very helpful in moving me to a new/upgraded room with a full ocean view room with a balcony. My original room had a partial view without a balcony. I would highly recommend spending the extra $$ (if you can) to get the full ocean view with a balcony. The view is spectacular and having a balcony to read on is amazing.

The room is very comfortable ... free starbucks coffee and a bottle of water too. The bathroom had a great stand alone shower (my favorite because it avoids the need for that nasty shower curtain) and a separate jacuzzi tub. The bathroom had massive shutters that opened to overlook the bedroom and/or the ocean.

As my 'SPG Gold' amenity, I chose free Wifi which worked very well during my stay.

Over all, this definitely a great hotel. Well worth the SPG Points + Cash I paid. Also, as a frequent traveller, no hotel is perfect -- the secret to their success has to be how they handle things when something goes wrong. At the Diplomat, they are clearly focused on guest satisfaction -- exactly what I would expect from a Westin hotel. The "issue" I had with the hotel was handled immediately and professionally -- exactly how I would expect a 5* hotel to deal with a guest complaint.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, ocean facing room, with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Hotel_Sam,

It is fantastic to receive feedback from one of our loyal SPG Gold Members. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your continued loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We are pleased to learn that you had an amazing stay and that our ambassadors were able to assist in making your stay even more memorable. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Londrina, PR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Staying for 10 days - terrible New Years Eve dinner.

Check-in time around 9:00 pm, dec/29.
Reserved a Grand Deluxe, received a room for handicaped, wich I only realized 3 days later, by seeing the big difference to other rooms. The room needed to be refurbished.

I complaint about the bad room I was on the jan/1st , the same guy that made my check-in, told me the hotel was full and I should check for a new room on the next day. He did'nt even apologized. Just told me there was a football team at the hotel and could not help.

Got my new room on the january/2nd. Better but not great. Just average, a bit small.

Until now I made 3 room service orders:
1º) Hamburguer: good
2º) Cesar Salad: bad sauce, artificial. Penne pasta grotesque and reazonable. Good caprese salad.
3º) Ordered service for two, came for one. Ordered a medium strip steak, came very welldone, and baked potato came raw. Reazonable caprese salad.

Bathroom amenities are weak. Just a shampoo, conditioner and lotion.
Towels are very good.
The bed is great, as always on Westin.

Wi-fi: signal quality was bad on both rooms.

Room make up service is weak. There is lots of dust on the furniture, and amenities are not provided daily as they should.

New years eve dinner at at the Landings: fix price of 275 per person+beverages+tax+tips.
We were in a party of 5 for the 9:30pm. The buffet was very very weak. Waiter service was terrible.

Room Tip: Unless you get a corner room or a suite, most rooms are quite small.
Dear Fernando J

We appreciate you taking a moment to tell us about your recent experience at the Diplomat. We are sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your retreat. What you have described to us is not the experience we strive to provide our guests and for that we are truly sorry. We will use your comments to help us improve our services here throughout the resort. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I completed a 6 day stay at the Westin Diplomat on Dec 29, 2012. I have stayed here many times so I am used to the typical holiday madness that takes place here.
I had a standard room with a king sized bed. The hotel has been open for roughly 10 years and to the best of my knowledge the rooms have not been renovated and it shows. The decor is old and tired and needs an update. The general condition of the rooms are good although they show 10 years of wear and tear. The bathrooms continue to be a hi light, they are very nice with separate bath and shower.
The Westin Heavenly bed is still good but most hotels offer some type of great bed so this is no longer a huge deal for me. The technology in the room is ok but not great with a minimal amount of power outlets. A particular pet peeve of mine is the $12.95 charge for Internet, at most hotels I stay at now this is a thing of the past. You can get around this by going to the lobby where the Internet is free, this makes the charge for Internet in the room even harder to understand.
The pool area is still beautiful but be prepared to fight for a chair at busy periods of the year especially on the top deck which is the most sought after area.
The food choices are limited to two restaurants within the hotel, the Cafe and Hollywood Prime. I tried both and Hollywood prime is excellent but very expensive and the Cafe is average. There is a restaurant by the pool called Splash which again is average and very expensive.
The service although passable is not great, it is very impersonal as this is a very large hotel and there is a lot for the staff to deal with. At times it feels very impersonal. Unfortunately we experienced it first hand when we encountered a security problem on our floor during our stay, in addition the maid service was quite poor as our room was not cleaned 2 days in a row. Both of these issues were dealt with by management in a very terse and impersonal manner.
All in all it is a good place to stay but there are other new holes in the area that are newer and will give you more bang for your buck.

Dear RichieCMontreal,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It has been a pleasure welcoming you to the Diplomat over the years and we would like to thank you for your continued business. We apologize that this stay with us was not the high quality experience you have come to know over the years. Your feedback will be used to help us improve the experience for you and future guests of the hotel. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you and your family back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed at! I was in town for the orange bowl and knew the hotel would be busy but they still managed to make my stay as pleasant as they always have every other time I have stayed there. They upgraded my rooms and gave us an amazing view of the beach the staff was very friendly and helpful. They wait times were not as bad as I expected them to be given that the hotel was full. The best experience I had there though was meeting a man by the name of Santiago he was a lobby greeter at the hotel and made this stay over the top. He was so friendly and was willing to help with anything we needed. He was very personable and felt bad when my team lost in the orange bowl so he sent us strawberries to the room. He is one of a kind and needs to be recognized. If you run into him he will make your stay just as amazing. Truly the best person I have ever met. This hotel and staff are top notch and I can't wait to come back again

Dear Alicia H,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us during the Orange Bowl. We are sorry to see that the team you were rooting for lost; however, we are happy that your stay with us was absolutely fantastic. Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your experience with our lobby ambassador Santiago. We hope to welcome you back soon for another great stay.

Warmest regards,

Panama City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here for the Discover Orange Bowl. The property is first class all the way. Standard room was spacious with a very large bath including a soaking tub that can open to the rest of the room. Only negitive is the front desk was understaffed.

Room Tip: You may be able to bid with Priceline.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pclandman,

We appreciate you taking a moment to tell us about your stay during the Orange Bowl. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your time at our the resort. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding our front desk. We will certainly take this information and use it to help us insure guest satisfaction in the future. We hope to see you at the Diplomat again soon.

Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just returned from a two day stay at the Westin on January 1st and 2nd after a short cruise. We had planned to stay in a more basic hotel due to the high holiday rates, but checked out of our basic hotel and into the Westin one day into our trip. The Westin hotel is beautiful. The pools are heated and lovely. Our oceanfront deluxe room was top notch. The kids really enjoyed it and the beds were heavenly as promised.The only negative comments I have are that the self-parking was very expensive and that we had to wait until just after 4pm for our rooms. Also, the beach chairs are not included as is it a public beach. They were $10 each/day. I knew about this added expense going in, but if I had not know that, I would have been disappointed since other ocean front properties I have stayed in included the chairs. However, since it's not a private beach, it makes sense. I would certainly stay here again, but not expect to have my room a minute earlier than check-in time!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an oceanfront room. Worth the added cost!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Familyof4Cleveland,

It is great to learn that you and your family had an amazing retreat with us after your cruise. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed relaxing by the pools and that you found your ocean front room with our signature heavenly beds to be relaxing. We hope to welcome you back to the Westin Diplomat again soon.

Best wishes,

Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!