“Great property, but nothing near by” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Orlando, Florida
“Great property, but nothing near by”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Was able to check in early around 10. Received a room on the 8th floor facing the ocean. Great view and slept with the door open. attended a conference here for three days and ate at all the restaurants. They are overpriced but with nothing within walking distance unless you want to drive or take a cab you are kind of stuck to eating on property. Great rooms but wish there were more eating options. I will come back on the weekend with the fiancée.

• Stayed November 2012
Karianne A, Front Office Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear rynpilot,

It is great to see that you enjoyed your conference with us at the Diplomat. We are happy to see that you found your accommodations comfortable and that you found the ocean view to be relaxing. On your weekend retreat with your fiancée feel free to visit with our concierge desk and they will be delighted to assist you with local attractions. We cannot wait to welcome you back soon.

Karianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Woodmere, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel is amazing. Great Lobby, Gym, Pools and club room. The staff was great. Worked with me on my upgrades to a suite. The beds are amazing and the veiws are spectacular.

I recommend this hotel for a romantic or family getaway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Front Office Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear egellman,

We are happy to see that we have become one of your favorite Starwood hotels. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed our facilities as well as your suite. We hope to see you again soon for another spectacular getaway.

Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Have stayed here a couple of times for work. it is a nice property, but had some real disappointments with service. I had to call three times to get my room cleaned (finally after the third call someone came at 4:30). For a 5 star property, they nickel and dime you - had to ask for a robe, Internet is pricey. I would not come here with my family

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Cynthia K,

It is great to see that you enjoyed our location, however, we would like to apologize that you felt the services provided had fallen below your expectations. Our ambassadors strive to provide our guests with a relaxing and renewing experience and we are sorry that this is not what you received. We will be sure to share your feedback with our management team.

We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

GardeniaPalm
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked an overnight at the Diplomat in mid-November. I had looked around and saw that although they were charging around $300 a night, I was able to obtain the room for $120 elsewhere. Seeing the amenities, and large scale of the resort, I thought it was a particularly good deal so I booked without hesitation.

I arrived around 9:30 on a Saturday night. The place was hopping! I checked in and was assigned a room on the 16th floor of the South Tower. I went upstairs and was greeted with a large tray of dirty room service dishes outside my door. I guess I should have taken that to be a sign.

The Bad and the Filthy:

I opened the door and was immediately surprised at how small the room was! Everything was crammed in there and there was barely any room to move around. Since it's obviously hard for the hotel to enlarge rooms now I let it go because really in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal, unless of course you're staying a while and would like to stretch out.

The shade on the lamp by the balcony door was severely crooked. I found it odd that housekeeping wouldn't have straightened it before leaving.

I went into the bathroom and there was a dirty Zip Lock bag on the counter, the soap wasn't in it's packaging, there was hair in the sink and then I went into the water closet and there was urine in the toilet. At this point it was obvious that the room hadn't been cleaned and although the beds were made I wasn't about the sleep in what were probably dirty sheets.

Back downstairs I went and was assigned a new room; also on the 16th floor. Although this one was clean there were several defects. First, the balcony was covered in water on one side. It hadn't rained in several days so to have about a 2 inch puddle of water that made half the balcony unusable was inconvenient.

The wallpaper behind one of the beds was patched yet still peeling. The knob to one of the lamps was replaced yet could only be turned on, not off. I ended up having to unplug the thing to get it off because the knob was too stiff to turn it off.

One of the doors that divide the bathroom and the bedroom was off it's track and could barely be moved.

At night (3 AM) in the hallway was a group of what sounded like middle aged men that made such a commotion between slamming doors, and yelling at each other in the hall that I was tempted to set the alarm for 7 AM, go out in the hall myself, slam my door and yell as well, but I resisted.

Although I had thought my room was missing the Heavenly Shower head (it had a cheap plastic unmatched white head) according to the front desk this Westin is not equipped with Heavenly shower heads yet. Strange considering this is a Westin signature.

One other downside to this Westin is the location. Although it's on the beach (which is very small, covered in seaweed and quite smelly) you really can't walk many places for breakfast, shopping, etc. There is a row of shopping/dining along Hallandale Beach Blvd. but I would imagine that's a little further than most people would walk.

Now for the good:

The pool. The pool is really lovely. They have both an upper pool and a lower pool and both are HUGE! There is only one hot tub which is rather surprising, though. The other big advantage is that the pool is open 24 hours a day (although unmanned after hours) I was able to have almost the entire pool to myself at night which was very relaxing.

The lobby is really lovely and is far nicer than a typical Westin property.

The bottom line is that if you're paying $150 or less per night then it's probably worth it. If you're paying the prices they want on their website you're better off looking some place else because there is absolutely nothing about this property that commands a rate over $150.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear GardeniaPalm,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed our pool areas and that you found our lobby to be an excellent place to relax and unwind.

We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. What you have described to us is not the experience we wish to provide our guests and for this we are truly sorry. We will certainly share your feedback with our management team.

We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is an impressive over 1000 room property on the beach and I was there a couple of nights for a meeting. I had an excellent room on 24th floor with wrap around balcony, views of the city and the sea.
The overall impression is bright and airy, the atrium towers over the reception with palm trees (probably fake but look good), and the public areas leading outside and to the convention areas have huge windows overlooking the sea. I liked the pool areas, didn't get to try them, but did sample the bar and cafeteria areas which met expectations. Check-in, bell-hop, waitress... all the service elements are well-trained, courteous and professional.
The only reason I give this a 4-star rating is that if I were to come here on holiday to enjoy a resort experience, I might find the conventions making it a bit more of a business hotel than a resort.
And finally... this Westin passed my mould-in-the-shower test, there wasn't any.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a big balcony room high up, the views are stunning.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear jeremyfd,

It is fantastic to see that you enjoyed your conference with us at the Westin. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your spacious wrap around balcony and that our ambassadors provided you with top quality service. We hope to see you back at the Diplomat soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Westin Diplomat is an excellent hotel and conference center with all the amenities you would expect. I was there as part of a conference and my only complaint as there was not enough free time from my conference to really enjoy all the Hotel has to offer. Not a lot of offsite restaurants in walking distance and they get you for parking at a rate of $25 per day are the only drawbacks. The Rivals bar and Grill accross the street (via covered bridge/walkway) is the one good choice for close casual food.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Joe M,

We are delighted to hear about your wonderful stay at the Diplomat. It is great to see that your conference went well and that you enjoyed our restaurant Rivals. We hope to welcome you back for a leisure vacation where you would have an opportunity to enjoy all the amenities the hotel has to offer.

Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

We so wanted to love this hotel having booked what we thought were luxury accommodations. However, upon arriving at the Diplomat, my husband, toddler and I experienced disappointment after disappointment. For the money, this hotel is simply not worth it. Having stayed at all kinds of establishments from Quality Inns to the Ritz Carlton, I can honestly say this was my second-worst hotel experience apart from the Baltimore Sheraton (hmm...also a Starwood). I've stayed at one- and two-star hotels that were much, much cleaner and offered far better service than the Westin Diplomat.

Our room was absolutely filthy and ill-equipped: There was dust everywhere, stained carpeting, a soiled couch, threadbare (literally, see-through) discolored towels, a robe (just one for two adults) with threads hanging and a huge hole, fingerprints from previous guests on most surfaces, no toiletries aside from shampoo, conditioner, all-purpose soap and body lotion (which were not replaced without asking), a fridge that didn't work until an engineer came up to fix it, a leaky toilet (again, the engineer had to come) and a bed that felt like sleeping in quick sand (no matter how many pillows I requested, my head was always inches below the rest of my body). When we walked around the room in our socks, our socks quickly turned brown, the shower door was caked in soap scum, mold festered on the grout lining the shower and we were too grossed out to even attempt to sleep under the duvet. We complained about some of it and received $100 to use on the premises during our stay, but we quickly tired of complaining because almost everything about the hotel was subpar (no free wifi, the amount it costs to park, stained, soiled beach towels, etc.) and not at all what were expecting when we booked at the Westin.

Our biggest mistake was that we paid in advance. Otherwise, we would have checked out and gone elsewhere. We are very fortunate that when we travel we can stay anywhere and we will no longer even consider staying at a Starwood hotel. We like clean accommodations and value for our money and the Westin simply does not offer that. When we want luxury, we will simply go higher end and enjoy all the perks that go along with that and when we want clean yet quality accommodations, we will look towards a Marriott, a Hilton or a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear DF920,

Thank you for taking a moment to share with us your recent experience at our resort. It saddens us to hear that we fell below your expectations in many areas throughout your stay. We normally pride ourselves in providing guests with a clean, relaxing, and rejuvenating experience and we are truly sorry that was not what you had encountered. Please note that we have shared your feedback with the departments you had mentioned so we can continue to provide our guests with top quality service. We do hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!