We so wanted to love this hotel having booked what we thought were luxury accommodations. However, upon arriving at the Diplomat, my husband, toddler and I experienced disappointment after disappointment. For the money, this hotel is simply not worth it. Having stayed at all kinds of establishments from Quality Inns to the Ritz Carlton, I can honestly say this was my second-worst hotel experience apart from the Baltimore Sheraton (hmm...also a Starwood). I've stayed at one- and two-star hotels that were much, much cleaner and offered far better service than the Westin Diplomat.
Our room was absolutely filthy and ill-equipped: There was dust everywhere, stained carpeting, a soiled couch, threadbare (literally, see-through) discolored towels, a robe (just one for two adults) with threads hanging and a huge hole, fingerprints from previous guests on most surfaces, no toiletries aside from shampoo, conditioner, all-purpose soap and body lotion (which were not replaced without asking), a fridge that didn't work until an engineer came up to fix it, a leaky toilet (again, the engineer had to come) and a bed that felt like sleeping in quick sand (no matter how many pillows I requested, my head was always inches below the rest of my body). When we walked around the room in our socks, our socks quickly turned brown, the shower door was caked in soap scum, mold festered on the grout lining the shower and we were too grossed out to even attempt to sleep under the duvet. We complained about some of it and received $100 to use on the premises during our stay, but we quickly tired of complaining because almost everything about the hotel was subpar (no free wifi, the amount it costs to park, stained, soiled beach towels, etc.) and not at all what were expecting when we booked at the Westin.
Our biggest mistake was that we paid in advance. Otherwise, we would have checked out and gone elsewhere. We are very fortunate that when we travel we can stay anywhere and we will no longer even consider staying at a Starwood hotel. We like clean accommodations and value for our money and the Westin simply does not offer that. When we want luxury, we will simply go higher end and enjoy all the perks that go along with that and when we want clean yet quality accommodations, we will look towards a Marriott, a Hilton or a Holiday Inn.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Diplomat Hotel Hollywood
- Westin Diplomat Resort
- Westin Hollywood
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa
- Westin Diplomat
- Hollywood Westin
- Hollywood Westin Diplomat Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida is located on the Atlantic Ocean close to two major airports, our 898 guest rooms and 100 suites feature stylish and soothing beach tones. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Starwood, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Venere, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.