“Beach Scene” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
New York City, New York
“Beach Scene”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a few days between Christmas and New Years which is probably the busiest week of the year for The Diplomat. We got a room on the club level with an ocean view. The view was spectacular - such a treat to wake up and look out the window or stand on the balcony and see nothing but ocean. The rooms are very nice and spacious and have really nice bathrooms and flat screen HDTVs. The executive club which we had access to its beautiful, however the offerings in the club leave you feeling like its kind of a waste of money. Breakfast in the club is good with an assortment of pastries, bagels and lox, yogurts, cereal, coffee and tea, etc. During the day they have nuts and trail mix out along with water and that's it. At night starting at 5:30p they put out soda and some appetizers but the apps are weak. They have crackers and cheese and some olives and a pasta that has a nasty seafood taste. They have alcohol available but it's for a charge - something The Ritz would never do. Aside from that the pool area is great but you have to claim your seats by 8:30a if you want a chair. The beach is really nice as well but the chairs and umbrellas cost you $10 each per day. The food at the cafe by the pool is really good so make sure you give it a try. All in all it's a great hotel just not sure the club level is worth it.

• Stayed December 2011
Westin-Diplomat-Mgr, Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Hello Beachtravelerrrr,

We are delighted to learn that your visit to the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa was a memorable one and that you enjoyed your room as well as the amenities our resort has to offer.

Be Well,

2,277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many times in nice rooms, suites, and club suites. Looks great on the outside but rotten on the inside. The customer service keeps getting worse and worse. They clearly don't have enough staff during busy season. Many rooms were not ready at normal check in times. Front desk staff were nasty and offensive. Probably the worst Westin check in that we have ever had (and we have stayed at many Westin's). The wait at the pool/beach restaurant for a simple meal could be anywhere from 1/2-1 hour or more after you were at a table. Service express picked up the phone once in a while. The tennis courts were always booked but the staff at the tennis pro shop were nice people. It was also hard to get a chair near the pool in the afternoon (they also ran out of towels). Lastly, they can't even get the basic stuff right on the club level, like having juice and skim milk out in the early morning. This hotel needs new management.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Robert C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm truly sorry to see that your experience in the resort did not meet your expectations. I have taken the liberty of sharing your review with our management team to review and continue to improve in the future.

The Holiday season is certainly a very busy time in our resort and we are always looking for ways to improve for our guests, you feedback is greatly appreciated as it will allow us the opportunity to prepare better in the future.

We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future to truly enjoy the beauty and superb service our resort is known for.

Be Well,

Gabby M
Setauket, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We checked in on December 25th. A very busy day for travel. Our suite was ready at 12:00pm.
We upgraded to the club floor, and what a great surprise. Lots of food, and friendly staff. I had an issue with a rollaway cot that was not delivered, I called down to the front desk and spoke with Michael the front desk manager. He was so wonderful and very understanding . He got us a rollaway the next day. He also gave us a 400$ credit on our bill. The next day he had some cookies and milk sent up to our room for my children. Michael and the front desk were a pleasure to talk to and very professional. The hotel is beautifully decorated and lots of happy people behind every desk. This was an amazing experience and we already booked our April vacation. Thanks you to all the Westin Diplomat employees. You really made our vacation very memorable.
Gavi

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hello Hilitg,

Thank you for your feedback, we are so happy you and your family had an amazing time in our resort. I will be sure to pass your compliments to Michael, we are very fortunate to have ambassadors like him that are always looking for ways to go above and beyond for our guests.

San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

In short, I'm staying in this hotel when I come back! Read on if you want the long version...

Alright, so this trip to the Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Miami area was very short (3 nights) AND my boyfriend and I stayed in 3 different hotels so we know what is the best area to stay in future visit (we do that often). First night, was at Sheration Suites Fort Lauderdale. It was nice because we don't have to pay for parking and room and staff is great. Next was Westin Coral Gables since it's closest to Miami beach (hotels in Miami beach was just too expensive for us since it was a half marathon event weekend). That hotel was amazing because of our Platinum status.

And now this hotel. This hotel is HUGE. You can tell a little bit from the outside that it's big but once you go inside, it's the size of an indoor mall! It definitely had that sense of grandeur and huge resort feeling....made me almost feel like I was in Hawaii.

The front desk staff was great and they told us they upgraded us. They also mentioned they had an Executive Lounge (I usually only see a Club Lounge at Sheraton chains so this was a lovely treat). It was definitely Executive Lounge. Very attentive staff but I always felt required to tip them all the time (I hate the feeling. I don't feel like I should tip if I got my own soda and cookie).

The room was actually a suite. It was night time when we arrived so the curtain covered the windows but when I wanted to see outside, I was just in shock of what was outside. Not only was there a very large patio area, but it was facing the ocean! The view was breathtaking. I was sold instantly by the gorgeous view of the ocean and many pools.

Overall, I'm staying here again if in the area. It basically has everything we need with an amazing room and the ocean/pool right there. It's definitely satisfying to know where we will stay in our future stays!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Ciaocat,

What a wonderful review. We are delighted to learn that you had the opportunity to not only visit our resort but also other Starwood properties in the area.

Thank you for your kind words about our resort and all the amenities we offer to our guests. We hope to see you back soon!

Live fully!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I attended a conference at this hotel and overall had a very positive experience. In addition to the rooms being comfortable, spacious and well-fitted, the lobby had plenty of comfortable space to set up small meetings, both inside and outside. I had a beautiful, unexpected view of the ocean from my room. The bathroom was spacious, with a double shower-head stand up shower and a separate tub. The tub was positioned such that I could see the view while in the tub - nice detail! Finally, I noticed a broken zipper on one of my suits in the morning of my first day at the conference. I asked if the hotel would be able to assist me with this on the same day. The staff was extremely helpful and took care of the broken zipper that day and had it to me by morning.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

This is our sixth year ina row coming to this hotel. The beds are comfortable, the resort amenities are phenomenal: from the club lounge, to the pool area and restaurant to the locaton on the beach. All great. Even over xmas break, when it is completely overrun, it still can somehow handle the hordes of invading tourists. I know from experience when its not the week between xmas and new years that the hotel is a haven of amazing. Great work! Will return.

• Stayed December 2011
Hi Jeff3380,

Thank you for your compliments about our resort. We are delighted to learn that our team continues to deliver superb service for you and your loved ones year over year.

Be well,

Trier, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Very posh hotel with great service and great view from higher floors. On the beach but they make you pay $10 for a chaise beach lounger pretty cheap and stingy considering what they charge for a room. Pools and hot tubs are large and plentiful, although very noisy when the kids are out of school on vacation. I also think $28 for a beer, a mojito and an order of sweet potato fries is a bit steep even for a 4 star. They also hit you with a daily parking fee -- valet@$25 and $20 to self park.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Westin-Diplomat-Mgr, Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Hello Rostan1,

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa. Thank you for your compliments about the service by our ambassadors, we are fortunate to have ladies and gentleman that go above and beyond for all of our guests.

If you are looking for a tranquil experience, I can suggest during your next visit to explore our Golf Location where you can also enjoy a tranquil pool area and a wonderful restaurant.

Gabby M.

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!