“Beautiful resort, wonderful service.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Fort Lauderdale
“Beautiful resort, wonderful service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I came here for a romantic wekend in May and fell in love with the hotel. Absolutely gorgeous inside, beautiful rooms, wonderful service. Came back in June with my children and they loved it. The hotel works wonderfully for a romantic couples get-a-way or a fun family weekend. The only drawback i felt was zoinks the food prices. Hey it's a luxury resort, expect to pay luxury prices ! I would recommend the Diplomat to everyone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Westin-Diplomat-Mgr, Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Hello Turtletam,

What an amazing review! Thank you for your kind words; it is wonderful to see our guests return to the resort and love it as much as the first time. What makes your comments even better is that you highlight that both couples looking for a romantic getaway as well as families can truly enjoy their stay at the Westin Diplomat resort & Spa.

We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Live Fully,

2,125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jupiter, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This past Saturday, June 11th my two gal pals and I stayed at the Westin Diplomat for a FABULOUS girls weekend. The hotel is amazing. Gorgeous. Stunning. Huge. Mod with lots of glass, marble and trees. Pool area is AWESOME... and the beach is steps away.

Our room (34th floor) was magnificent. Modern. Updated. Clean. Really nice. King bed was great and the pullout couch was great too (there were 3 of us!!). THe only complaint I have was the cost of things. I know a resort is notorious for expensive prices. But $48 for a round of three drinks at the pool? And $88 lunch for 3 (3 sandwiches, 2 drinks and one water) is a bit over the top. Breakfast the next morning was OUTRAGEOUS too. ($16 for a waffle???).

We stopped at the onsite coffee shop on the way up to the room to get a bottle of wine to drink as we were getting ready for the evening, after our pool time.. and they had little half-size bottles of Kendall Jackson for $24. $24 for a bottle that has maybe a glass/ glass-and-a-half in it!!

Instead, we went for drinks at Azia onsite... and that was awesome Drink specials until 7. Wine and beer for under $5 and martinis for $7. Great atmosphere. Great deal.

Next morning, after expensive but good breakfast.. we went to the beach. They have chairs/ cabanas/ umbrellas. The prices seem ok but then they tack on a service charge and tax. So the $15 umbrella rental turns into $20. Kind of a ripoff..!?!?

We went to dinner at Lola's on Harrison (about a 10 min drive/ $20 cab fare) in Hollywood which was GREAT! Super food and very very very reasonable. NOT like the hotel prices at all!

Oh... and upon check out, there was a $70 service charge and a $25 parking fee on our bill!

I love this hotel. Would love to come back with hubby............. but will bring my own beverages, probably.

Room Tip: Great hotel/ high prices for food and drink
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Westin-Diplomat-Mgr, Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Hello Clink65!

We are so happy to learn your girl’s weekend getaway was fantastic! Thank you for your kind words and compliments regarding the hotel and the amenities we offer to our guests.

I'm sorry to learn that our pricing seemed a little higher than expected in our restaurants and beach chair rentals. Please know that we conduct competitive pricing research on a regular basis and we have found to be fairly priced with other resorts in the area, however I will certainly share your concerns with our management team to review as well.

We can't wait to welcome you back with your hubby!
See you soon!!!!!

Carrollton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Upon entering the lobby of the Westin Diplomat, one cannot help but be taken aback by the world-class welcome you experience. From the valets to the front desk staff, the check-in process is smooth and friendly. Although an overbooking mishap occurred with our reservation, the resort staff quickly rebooked us at the Crowne Plaza across the street for the first night. Although it is almost impossible to be pleased when overbooking occurs, the Westin Diplomat did not make excuses for the occurrence. However, the honesty was refreshing from the resort. Service providers, such as hoteliers, make the most of such situations; therefore, my family, as guests of the resort, made the best of the situation.

The room was quite impressive with sweeping ocean views. The Westin Heavenly Bed was appropriately named, The resort was huge; however, the elevators and relative ease of moving about the resort was convenient.

The pool area and beach, while crowded like most South Florida resorts, were beautiful. Pool service attendants were common and very polite.

All in all, the Westin Diplomat is highly recommended as a South Florida resort.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hello RandyGeorgia,

Wow, I'm sorry to hear your visit had a rocky beginning, but I am thrilled our team took such great of you and your family making your stay with us a memorable one.

Thank you for your compliments about our resort and the amenities we have to offer.
We look forward to anew opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Be Well,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Avoid this hotel spa at all costs, room was filthy , linens were old, frayed and not white.
The bathroom was horrid mold in the shower, metal strip between shower and toilet area was missing, so water spilled into toilet, paper so rough it hurt, no bath ammenities, such as qtips cotton balls ,only replaced when bottles were empty, glass in shower/toilet area was never cleaned. I did not use the "spa" tub but did notice that any hair makeup or general dirt was never cleaned in 6 days. bedroom area couch was dirty and stank drawers smelled moldy, there was so much dust in the room on baseboards and behind bed on outlet and plugs that even after compaining to management I still had to dust myself. This is a so called non smoking hotel although every doorway has an ashtray within 10 feet. I was smoking in the room and Security was sent up to tell me I was being evicted due to a complaint. smoking on the balcony , I can't help which way the wind blows (balcony was dirty also, bird poop on rails and filthy glass, chairs needed a good rinse off). called the manager and agreed to a 200.00 room cleaning deposit, told Donald of the filthy room, was assured it would be cleaned it never was, 200.00 charge remained on my bill.Repeated calls to Hotel have gone unreturned. Food is expensive , limited menu and not good. drinks are expensive. beach area is unkempt. Horrible experience. Mary Mpls Mn

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Westin-Diplomat-Mgr, Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear reviewer,

It is saddening to learn that your experience at the Westin Diplomat was tainted by our stringent non smoking policy. As a Westin property we pride in providing our guests with a rejuvenating experience and it is the reason why we do not allow smoking anywhere inside the resort; selected areas outside of the resort have been designated to accommodate guests who do smoke in accordance with state laws. It is my understanding that Donald during his interaction with you explained that the $200.00 fee is administered in order to ensure we can return the room to its original non smoking state as there are several items in the room that need to be replaced after a guest has smoked in it.

Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

PROS: Great location, right on the beach, my room had a beautiful view of the Caribbean-blue water. Although I was jealous of the person next to me who had a balcony to sit on, my room had a window that partially opened, so I was able to let the fresh sea air in at night which I loved. Room was spacious, and I had 2 double beds which usually means smaller space. The bed was truly "heavenly" to sleep on and this is one of the few hotels that I didn't feel "icky" laying on top of the bedspread - it was pure white and smelled fresh so I could tell it was clean. All the service people I encountered were friendly and genuinely nice, especially the front desk staff.
CONS: Not enough options for food, especially lunch. The only lunch spot is the cafe which is super over-priced and doesn't have much of a selection, OR the grab & go coffee shop which has the same sandwich offerings of the cafe but slightly lower in price. Across the street (there is a pedestrian walkway) is a fun sports bar with one of the best fish & chips I've ever had (it's Mahi Mahi) but they are closed for lunch on weekdays, as are their Asian/sushi and steakhouse. There is NOTHING anywhere nearby as another option.
TIP: if you have a free night, take the $1 trolley to the Hollywood Broadwalk and walk down the sidewalk to see the locals and some lower-budget tourists. There are some kitschy restaurants and souvenir shops but if you want a nice meal the Marriott has a sidewalk cafe with great food and drinks and is reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Pros: Big, beautiful place with lots of windows and sunshine and indoor palm trees. Staff fairly friendly and helpful, in a professional sort of way. (Though a bit over the top at times, like when they insisted on delivering a fresh set of towels to my room when I brought just one to the pool.) Rooms are very nice, with extra deep bathtubs. Two pools, one of them open 24 hours or at least very late. Beach immediately outside hotel with kayak and catamaran rentals. Starbucks in lobby no more pricey than any other Starbucks.

Cons: Rather isolated if you don't have transportation of your own. Boardwalk area not really walking distance, nor are restaurants besides what is at hotel. My only dining option the first night were a loud and obnoxious sports bar or an extremely expensive steak house. (On other nights Aizia, an asian fusion place, was opened, so that helped.) Locks on room doors made in such a way that guests need to slam them shut as they leave - which can get annoying late at night.Free wifi in lobby.

Extra: Cab from FLL airport ~$30.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Westin-Diplomat-Mgr, Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Hello BillStickers_7,

Thank you for your feedback, it is great to learn from each of our guest experiences and your review highlights in a very effective way the areas you truly enjoyed in our resort such us the pools, room and bath amenities and our Aizia restaurant.
I'm sorry to hear you did not have the opportunity to visit the different area attractions with the Hollywood Trolley operated by the city of Hollywood, this is a great way in which many of our guests visit the Broadwalk area (only 1.5 miles away) or downtown Hollywood. Hopefully you will have a chance to experience this on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I stayed here for a three nights for a recent event, i had a high floor room, overlooking the beach, with a great Westin bed. Very comfortable modern room that even featured a large tub, with doors that open so you can see out the doors while in the tub.

A few caveats though: it's mostly a convention hotel, probably not a great place for a family vacation if you aren't there for meetings. The beach is narrow and a big sand bar breaks up the waves. There are limited dining options on site, and two of the restaurants are across the street on the waterway. The steakhouse inside is very very good, but pricey. Also, when I checked into my room I found it already occupied - a major security mistake by the hotel, fortunately the person who had the room wasn't there so I didn't startle anyone.

There are great pools and a nice fitness center that overlooks the beach and many kids activities. Overall, if you have to be here for a conference, consider bringing the family.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hello Ibeplato,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are happy to learn that you enjoyed your visit to the Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa. I'm truly sorry our team registered you in a room that was already occupied, this is very concerning to us and I will be sharing this experience with our Front Office Manager. Thanks for your compliments about our pool area, fitness center and our steak house Hollywood Prime

We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future1

Gabby M.

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!