“We can't wait to come back!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Sheldon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 North Surf Road, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
Sherrodsville, Ohio
“We can't wait to come back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

The location is superb and the service from all staff was fantastic! Yes, they are under construction, but never did it get noisy or interrupt our vacation. Yes, it is an older, smaller hotel, so we didnt' expect a 5 star facility, we really can't stomach paying 5 star prices just for a bed, so we wanted value and good location. It was moderately clean with comfortable beds and the location on the Hollywood boardwalk can't be beat! The attentiveness and willingness of the staff to accomodate any requests we had is what makes up for any construction inconvenience or lack of top notch quality facility!! And it's staffed 24/7! A lot of smaller places to stay on hollywood beach are not. We look forward to coming back a few more times, with our 3 kids sometime, and maybe with a few other couples for a beach getaway some other time!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pine Bush, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We arrived at about 3:00 pm on Monday , Feb. 21. Even the street are under major construction!! You must park up the street. The picture you see here is a lie! I will post my pics as soon as my sister sends them to me! Boarded up windows and holes Blue Plastic covering windows. Exposed wires and buckets of tools all over the hall ways! no elevator . When I called to ask about the room they did not say anything about renovations taking place not even on this site!!! Yikes! They charged me for a night because I refused to stay at all! Due to the condition of the place! Gross! When I send my cc company the pic on here and the ones we took that day we will def win!!!! We were staying near the water as we came to visit our mom in the Hospital and hoped the beach would bring a little sun to our trip! If you never want to sleep and be close to the beach it is right there. Way too congested! If your looking for something quite ,uhhhh no!

• Stayed February 2011
Sussex, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Awesome location and friendly day staff at front desk are about the only positives I have. Parking was difficult, no elevator, toilet barely flushed, sink leaked, my daughter's mattress crinkled as if there was a plastic cover over the mattress. With some big $$$ invested this could be a 3+.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Earth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

If you are 18 to 25 and looking to be right on the boardwalk, expect little comforts from a hotel , and are just into partying... then this is the place for you... All others beware. I will say that the woman working during the day at the front desk is great, but the evening and morning people were very young and seemed inexperienced. The location and price are great (right on the boardwalk), but the rooms are small, they are renovating the place right now, the water pressure in the shower was nonexistent, the sink was clogged, don't drink the water out of the tap, the noise from the restaurants below kept me up well into the night, the walls are paper thin, the doors don't have deadbolts or chain locks, the elevator does not work, the wi fi does not work in the room, the rooms don't have balconies, they dont have breakfast.... Have I said enough? On the up side, you are walking distance to some great bars and restaurants, 15 minutes to Ft Lauderdale Airport, and it is pretty cheap.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Schaumburg, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Stayed on 1/8 before cruise and on 1/15/11 post cruise. Sheldon is in the middle of being rehabbed so the elevator did not work, but the desk person, Nichole, lugged one of our suitcases up the short staircase to our 2nd floor room for us. Thank you Nichole! All completed rooms seem to be on the second floor at this time. The hotel should be very nice as an older art deco hotel once rehab is completed. The rooms that we had were done and were fairly nice. No fans in the bathroom however (it's and older hotel) so the newer paint on the ceiling was already peeling. The heating/cooling units were new and worked well. The new owners of the Sheldon seem to be making an effort to make it a good hotel, but keep in mind that they are in the middle of the rehab so things are not yet as they will be post rehab. With that said, it was a good value (they even upgraded our room to a "partial ocean view" for the second night) given the superb location on the beach and boardwalk. The beds were comfortable and the rooms adequate in size. I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Although it is being redone, it was worth the stay. I am looking forward to the elevator working. great place on the beach, our room was one with the balcony, that was great! close to everything. It was very clean, staff were wonderful and actually met the owner.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Laval
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

we went one night at this hotel in compagny of my husband, my parents and my step-parents and we have different appreciation of this hotel. me and my parents found this hotel very well located and the room is confortable and the bed are perfect but my step-mother have unapreciated his room and found is bathroom unclean specially her bath and is air conditionner... The room was ok for me but i admit that the hotel in general and the outside facade is very old and need a serious renovation to fix it. It suppose to have an elevator so i reserve 3 rooms on the third floors but but the elevator seem to be broken since long time ago... so we had to take the stairs to transport our luggage and it's was hard to do it because the stairs between the second and the third floor are on a opposite side so you have to walk almost all the second floor before to take the other stairs to finally arrive at your room on the third floor with your luggages.The hotel was just in face of the ocean so we have a room with a ocean view but outside it was very two windy days at Hollywood. it's a nice city to visit but next time i will stay only at Fort Lauderdale where my favorite motel is twice cheaper price and only 3 minutes by walk of the ocean and much cleaner ( birch patio motel). I think that the picture of the website of the sheldon hotel show you a renovated hotel but in real it a old one who need many renovations to be a good place to stay. But inside the room it's correct for my appreciation but a little bit expensive for what we really get. they are suppose to offer free wi-fi but i don't know if it's because it was really windy outside but their internet connection worked very bad....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sheldon? Share your experiences!