“Considering Hollywood? The Hotel Sheldon won't dissappoint!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Sheldon
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 North Surf Road, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Ranked #31 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
New Jersey
“Considering Hollywood? The Hotel Sheldon won't dissappoint!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am an advid Trip Advisor user. At times when I accompany my husband on a business trip, I try to find a reasonable property with a location that provides me with things to busy myself while he is working. While researching hotels in the Hollywood, FL area, I came across the Hotel Sheldon. The reviews were mostly good, however, there were a few that worried me a bit. However, the location and value are what intrigued me the most.
Located directly on the infamous Hollywood boardwalk/beach I thought this would be perfect for me to enjoy.
Let me just say that the hotel, while still under some renovation is a wonderful up and coming property. At the last minute, after re-reading the reviews, I decided to upgrade our room for $ 20 more a night to an oceanfront room. The desk clerk mentioned that it was not a renovated room, but that the view was worth it.
To our surprise, upon arrival, we were given an upgraded corner room (#238). It was immaculately clean and almost brand new. Furnishings, floors and linens were modern, spacious, with a walk-in closet to boot. Although when we arrived it was very late, we could tell that the view would be fantastic in the morning.
And that it was. Most spectacular. In fact, you could see the aqua blue ocean right from sitting on the king bed.
The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. Although there was airconditioning ,the windows opened to the ocean breezes.
The room was cleaned each day and towels replaced.
As far as the amendities, although few, they were plently enough for a stay at the beach. The hotel provides new beach chairs (they don't recline), umbrella, and towels for their guests.
But you could rent a lounge chair at the beach for $8 a day, $5 more for a cushion. In my opinion, it is well worth it. There is fresh coffee in the lobby all day and a coffee maker, microwave, and new refrigerator in the in the room as well. Free Wi Fi and parking are also provided.
The staff is pleasant and accommodating.
The location is also perfect for walking the beautifully kept boardwalk with reasonable restaurants, shops, all nearby. As well, there is much to see either left or right out the hotel back door along the 3 mile plus walk.
I was unsure whether Hollywood would provide me with enough to do for 4 days, but was pleasantly surprised that there was enough and more. The Hollywood beaches are clean and scenic, lined with palm trees and enhanced by aqua blue waters in the background.
My husband and I will absolutely go back to the Hotel Sheldon, but will request an Oceanfront room.
Check out Le Marche, a brand new bistro left on boardwalk from hotel. Its
a bit of a distance down but well-worth the stroll. Great atmosphere, food, and live entertainment with incredible views of the ocean.
Also there is live entertainment at Nick's Bar and Grill. Fun, lively place just a short walk from hotel.

Room Tip: Request Oceanfront renovated room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

It's on the Broadwalk, if that's what you need. Free parking, beach chairs, & beach towels. Room was spacious. Bath is very dated, but functional. Beds were a little soft for me. Food & drink are all easily walkable with the possible exception of breakfast. Cool looking building.

• Stayed April 2013
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Spent 2 nights here with a friend. The hotel is right on the beach and the boardwalk. Great location. They provide beach chairs and umbrella to guests for the beach (free). Beds were comfortable. Room came with a mini fridge and wifi. Bathroom was o.k. -paint job was interesting... For the price it was well worth it. Ask for the ocean view room. We got to watch the sunrise.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view room, for an extra $10 well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The location couldn't be better.We got a recently renovated room-336 and looked out on the beach.The room was very nice.Refrigerator, clock with I phone charger,nice furnishings.The location is literaly at the center of the boardwalk,plenty of places to eat and things to do.Waking up to an ocean view is pretty nice too.I also really liked that they provided us with good substantial beach chairs to take to the beach.I also saw there was a beach umbrella as well.Otherwise it would have cost to rent them.This was a very welcome added touch.The only small thing I found was that the renovated bathroom had not allowed for the bathroom door hitting the toilet.Someone had gouged out a chunck of door so that you could open the door.Not a big deal by any means

Room Tip: get a renovated room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

It's cheap and it's literally 20 feet from the beach. It's also on the Hollywood broadwalk, and we ate dinner at one of the dozens of restaurants within a short walk, sitting outside facing the beach. This was a great stay for the night before our cruise.

We were looking for a clean room with two beds, a shower, and air conditioning right on the beach, and the hotel delivered. It even had a working TV. We weren't planning to use it, but did.

It's a no-frills place, though, so if you want high-end pillows (ours were foam), a pool, restaurant, room service, and high-end furnishings, look elsewhere. Just be prepared to be pay MUCH more.

We did have a couple of problems related to the ongoing renovations: the AC didn't initially work, but someone came within two minutes and fixed it. Also, the elevator didn't work one time, but did work all the other times. It's only 3 floors, but if it's critical you have the elevator, consider that.

I would definitely stay here again pre-cruise, and I'd bet with a renovated room, I'd easily give it 5 stars for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, but note there are only 5 as of March 25, 2013. The front desk lady said...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We spent 4nights at Sheldon hotel in March 2013. My husband love the hollywood boardwalk location. I booked it based on trip advisor reviews. I knew it wasn't a fancy hotel, but we were lucky to get a recently renovated room with ocean view(room 236). The lobby has a small desk and nothing else, but I don't spend any time in the lobby, so that is not important. We had a king size bed which was comfortable. We had a big tv with lots of channels. We had a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was renovated and very nice. It was a bit small but nice shower. The room was clean and the staff was very helpful and accomodating. The view was amazing and you were right on the beach. They even give you beach chairs (which were brand new, not old and rusted like other reviews). The price was very reasonable and included parking. The building is old but they are all old on the boardwalk. It doesn't have a pool but you have the beautiful ocean in front of you.
The only issue is the safe, you must set the code before you shut the safe or else it locks before you set the code, like we found out. They sent a maintenance person very quickly. Overall the hotel was great, but you must get a renovated room. I will definitely come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if they have available .
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We arrived at this hotel not knowing what to expect. We booked King deluxe ocean view. The room had a great view of the park and the ocean the feeling is that it is clean, free parking
fridge, microwave, beach chairs, umbrella, towels all included
bathroom is dated but had no grime`
great location on the beach
i am very pleased at the way this place is managed it was fine for me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sheldon? Share your experiences!