“Acceptable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Montreal Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hollywood
Montreal Inn
You added Montreal Inn to your Saves list
324 - 336 Balboa St, Hollywood, FL 33019 (Formerly Montreal Ocean Inn)   |
Ranked #55 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
United States
“Acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

I am staying for two months in an efficiency near the pool at Montreal Inn. I came to Dania Beach because of wonderful memories of spending a summer here in 1971. I am delighted that the area is as it was in 1971 except for two high-rise condos casting shadows over my little bit of paradise. (Many condos in the buildings are in foreclosure.)
I am here because the Atlantic ocean is 30 yards away, with sea oats and a handful of people. I walk my dog along the broadwalk, as do many others, greeting the many bikers, skaters and joggers. I ate breakfast at a table in the courtyard and will soon get in the pool.
The buildings are old; I'd guess they date to the 1950s, judging by the color schemes. The owner, a man who imports bananas from Ecuador and who lives down beach a bit in a nice home, appears to be investing little in upkeep of the units. My frig is rusted and could have been bought at Salvation Army . But it keeps food well. I have a microwave, one unusable skillet, 2 unmatched plates, two sets of cutlery -- that's all. I had to ask for towels and a broom to sweep up the ever-present sand, but the manager sent them. My TV is tiny and the remote doesn't work.
But these are not the things I came here for! I bought a few things -- incuding, first, a mattress pad and sheets and pillows. I want to make sure my bed is clean!
The folks working here are helpful and friendly. Folks my dog and I encounter as we walk are super nice.
Within easy walking distance -- one no more than 100 yards away -- are two clubs and a restaurant. I don't know what some of the travelers want in terms of "night life," but two clubs and a restaurant within walking distance are more than sufficient for me. Driving south to Hollywood, north to Fort Lauderdale or west to Dania takes one to entertainment as pricey and spicey as anyone could want.
I am paying Montreal Inn a fraction of what other better-kept accommodations in the neighborhood (about 10 one-block long streets that stretch from Surf Road along the ocean one block westward to north-south North Ocean Drive.
I came here not for what most people call "luxury" -- hair dryers, Aveeda shampoo, well-coifed young women at the check-in desk, etc. I expected (and found) cleanliness, friendliness, ordinary people behaving well.

• Stayed August 2010

Families
Business
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

The room was a studio with kitchenette, A/C, and a bathroom. The bed was dirty when we got there (and by this I mean there were hairs, crumbs and dirt on the sheets). I told the manager and he just gave us an extra set of sheets. There's no housekeeping, so don't count on anything being clean. Fortunately, we brought our own set of sheets. The kitchenette was really understocked, so I had to go to the Publix down the road to get basic things like bowls and spoons.

The bathroom had me a bit worried, because whoever did the electric work didn't do it right. The light switch shocked me a couple times, and someone had put in an ungrounded outlet into one of the light sockets above the sink. This is a serious building code violation; if you plug anything into that outlet and it falls into the sink, you're dead. Ungrounded outlets/wiring do NOT belong in a bathroom! There were maybe two or three towels, but again I brought my own so that was OK.

I was also a bit disappointed by pool. The filter/pump weren't working, so it was full of leaves and garbage.

Otherwise, the beach was nice, and I had a great trip! Free parking was a plus, but next time I'd rather pay the extra $10 or $20 a night for something better.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed at this place for a weekend trip. I arrived early and didn't necessarily expect to be checked in early, however I was forced to stand outside in the rain & was told that there were tables to sit on. Well, if it's raining / had been raining I obviously am not going to sit on a wet bench & table. After waiting for an hour, I waited outside the door of my room & encountered a spanish cleaning lady. The inside of the room had dirty blinds, a sheer-like curtain drapery over the front window that you can see the shine of the TV through at night, odd wall decorations, all channels on the television that were rated TV-14 were blocked so I was forced to watched either the cooking channel, HGTV, etc. The bathroom was scary. I didn't shower because the shower was not pleasant. No hairdryer. Pitiful soaps and shampoo. The bed was okay and pretty comfy. I turned the A/C completely off because it seemed to just add to the moisture in the room, the pages of my notebook and magazines had that moist feel to them. The wireless internet is basically non-existent. The pool was dirty and unkept. The area seems relatively safe. There are quite a few/alot of locals who rent/own houses. One of the locals was very nice and explained this part of the beach is more quiet which was great. I walked from the boardwalk back to the hotel at dusk and was frightened however even though the trail is lit. I was also told that the same trail/road is some sort of gay pick-up area. Overall, I would not stay here again just because of the conditions of the rooms/facility and lack of service. I was told to check out to just leave the key on the table. Spend the extra $20-$40 dollars and stay somewhere that is nicer.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Caracas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

A great place to stay with friends or family. Comfortable, nice, clean, friendly envrironment. I felt like in home... so what else could I ask! Simply the best.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

I will write the facts to help anyone decide if this is the place for them. I never write about hotels, but I think this will help you be better informed.

I was first wondering about the area. The hotel is write near the beach, but off the beaten path a bit from the main stays. The area is safe. I am 36 years old, female, and went for the weekend alone to escape arctic temps in the Midwest. There is a nearby bike/jogging path and can walk around the area alone without any worries.

That area of the beach isn't at all crowded, which may be good or bad depending on how you like the beach. There is also a huge nearby pier for you fishing enthusiasts.

With that said, unto the motel. The motel is small. Just a small series of 1-floor buildings which have their own "apartments". The buildings looked like they will built in the 60's or 70's with no updating. Meaning there's original "tile" flooring, Olive and pink tiled bathrooms, original fixtures, etc. I think the ceiling fans were "newer" and there were three of them in my room. The electrical is original. No, there's no outlet in the bathrooms. I knew this ahead of time from Orbitz reviews and brought some light extension cords. I didn't use them because there's a large mirror in the bedroom right over the outlet and used that to dry hair etc.

The walls were all stale white with very few pictures hanging on the wall lacking a "homey" feel. There is no ironing board or iron. There's no hair dryer. The room was "clean" but very very plain and outdated. It didn't scream "romance" in the least, so I wouldn't go again with a significant other.

The people who own the place are very nice. I checked in early and my room wasn't ready. So, they gave me a full kitchen room instead of an efficiency (upgrade). My room had a separate bedroom, TV/couch area, kitchen and kitchen table seating 4. I also asked to do late check out and they were super cool with that as well. They live on the grounds so you can easily reach them.

There was a stove, microwave, and fridge. No coffee maker. I was smart enough to bring plastic forks, knives, spoons, bowls, and cups so I was set. There were a couple of coffee mugs, plates, bowls, silverware provided, but no pots or anything extensive AT ALL. Plus the expectation is that you clean everything before you leave but they provide no dish soap. I was glad I thought ahead. The fridge had times when it ran very loudly. Once it went on that way at night, so I tried closing the bedroom door. The door needs about 1/2 inch shaved off of it because it couldn't physically close. I just put a jam in the bottom to get it to shut as much as possible.

I stayed there two nights. They provided three towels and no washcloths. One towel was a little stained so I used that as a bath mat. So, I was down to two towels. I have long hair and towels are always needed. There was no cleaning service between days which I was not aware of. Luckily I didn't throw my towels on the floor, because that was all I had the whole weekend to use. That probably bothered me the most.

It seems that parking there is limited, but I was always able to find a parking spot at any time of day and parking is free. My rental was a 2009 Mustang and it was never screwed with which was also a plus.

The pool is small. The deck around the pool had only regular chairs not lounge chairs. The deck was only wide enough for a person to lay parallel with it...maybe 3 feet wide. On windy days to escape the blowing sand of the beach, I went to the pool. There's a brick wall on one side of it which blocked the wind. I put my towel (beach towel I brought) on the concrete and laid by it. That seemed to work out well.

There's no nightlife in the area so you will need a rental car for sure and navigation system if you can swing it. There are some one way roads and confusing routes to get there. My GPS saved me until I learned my way around.

The people that stay at the motel are mostly older European couples and some families with grown children. Not that it means anything...just an observation. I think some people live there for an extended time during winter months.

I didn't see any bugs in my room or anything. Like I said, it seemed... clean. The bed wasn't super comfortable, but it stayed cool inside with a single AC unit and fans. No problem there. My stay was $83 a night. It was cheaper than many others on the beach. Would I stay there again? I don't know. If it was just me and the price was right? Maybe. In March I am staying at a 3 1/2 star hotel I scored through name your own price at Priceline. Spring break... 6 nights for 65 bucks a night. 5 miles from the beach but it is beautiful and worth the short drive to the beach. You have options!! I roll with things so I didn't really complain about much.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Stayed January 2009
Brewster, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

My wife and I just came back from a seven day cruise to the Caribbean. I came home and I had to write a review on our one night stay at the Montreal Inn. Let me first say that I went on blind faith in booking this place. I did the research but was limited on the information that I could obtain on this place. Either way I booked for one night for $111.00. This place is basically a studio apartment, the hotel is located across the street from Diana beach. Being located next to the beach is the only good thing. First when we tried to check in at our required time but the room was not ready. We had to wait for almost two hours before we could get to our room. After we finally went in the room was just nasty. The bed was literately on it's last legs. The mattress springs were gone, we were basically sleeping on a box spring. On top of the mattress being nasty with stain's everywhere the pillow's were stained as well. The pillow's looked like they had not been washed in years. The bathroom was just as bad, The bathroom looked like a crack den. I put up some pictures so that everyone can see. I got what I paid for because I wanted to save a few buck's.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Montreal Inn? Share your experiences!