“Poor Management” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Newport, Washington
“Poor Management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Hotel was clean. We reported tv not working and they had maintenance there to fix it right away. Breakfast was good.
Complaint: Luggage did not arrive at cruise port with the hotel shuttle service. Called hotel and they stated it was not there. Called supervisor at shuttle service and she reported that no driver saw my luggage. We were leaving port for 2 weeks so I continued calling the hotel to ask them to look again...still claimed it was not there. Reported lost luggage to the ship concierge then he called the hotel and shuttle service for serveral days and they both denied the luggage was there. The 5th day on our cruise I had to purchase clothes and luggage which was an extra cost to me. I met a couple on the ship who were going to stay at the Hampton Inn on the day we returned to port (14 days later) and they said they would look for my luggage. As soon as they arrived at the hotel and asked about my luggage....they came right out with it! If I had known it was there I could of had it transported to the ship. After arriveing home, I have been calling the hotel manager asking her why they didn't call since all my information was on my luggage and the ship sticker with the cruiseline's name was also taped to the luggage. She states they have no idea how the luggage got there. That it could not have been at the hotel when we were calling and asking about it. She claims the shuttle driver must of dicovered it on the shuttle and brought it to the hotel. No apology....nothing! I've been calling her for three days and she has yet to return my call concerning the return of my luggage. When I try to talk to her she talks over me and states that it is not the hotel's fault. I am totally frustrated!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stayed one night prior to our cruise. 2 room suite with a full kitchen. PLENTY of room. Living area included sofa, chairs, table with MORE chairs. Free internet. Free hot breakfast. 2 TV's, one in BR one in LR. Left our car there for the one week cruise on a buyreservation.com package. Free transportation to and from the port. EVERYONE pleasant, helpful and efficient. Also has 2 outdoor pools. VERY clean.. Close to expressway and food. Very good for the price and services.

Room Tip: Just check them out on-line. Easy to follow.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Pullman, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed at this hotel based on the recommendations online and will never stay here again. We used the hotel before our Caribbean cruise. We had a suite and it was filthy. The furniture had holes and was falling apart. There was dirt in the corners, hair in the bathroom, and someone had left their dirty socks on a chair from a previous stay. The breakfast area was too small to handle the number of people staying in the hotel. We asked them to honor their 100% guarantee and was given a refund for one night, not two.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Lovinguhere, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale-Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Waynesonwheels,
We apologyze for the inconvenience you experienced in our hotel. It is our goal to be your home away from home while you traveling, and I hope you will give us another chance. I understand all the situations you had in our property. We are renovating our hotel. Breakfast area due to the reason we always sold out we have a big demanding people during the breakfast area. we bought 2 more tables and 8 more chairs for our breakfast.
If there is anything at all that you need,please don't hesitate to call me. I know we gave you 100% satisfaction for one night.
Erika Diaz
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel Mar. 19th of this year. We left on a cruise the next day and had reservations to return to the hotel the 27th for an early arrival as our cruise returned early. We arrived back at the hotel by shuttle at 8:10am on the 27th. They had no room available. It was early, but we were told there would be a room the previous week. We waited. After about an hour and a half, the desk person told us that their housekeeping staff would not even arrive until after 11am. Around 11:30am, they told us that all fo the guests from the night before were checking out late, so the rooms would not be available. All of this time, gueste were leaving on hotel shuttles for the docks.
We had been up since a little after 5am that morning to get off the ship and avoid the crowds so, as you might imagine, we were pretty tired.
Anyway, finally, at 2:50pm...that's 6 hours and 40 minutes later they have a room for us. We went ahead and schedualed for a shuttle to the airport the following morning. The attendant told us, and wrote down 6:30am for the shuttle.
We go take a nap, and then walked to dinner since all we had eaten since 5am was a slice of pizza the counter staff ordered to feed those of us waiting hours for our rooms.
Back to the room and off to sleep.
Up in the morning for the 6:30 shuttle and we got to the lobby to wait about 6:03am. Good thing we did, because the shuttle was actually a 6am shuttle and we would have missed it and had to wait over an hour.
Needless to say, I was angry, tired, and now, almost late for a shuttle that was planning to leave the hotel at 6am and was running late.
The guy behind the counter asked me how my stay was as i laid down my room card and that was about all I could take. I paused long enough to tell him that is was the single worst treatment that we had ever had in a Hampton Inn and that I fully expected their "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" to kick in. Since the shuttle driver was now even later because of me, I could not hold up everyone on the way to the ariport to argue with the clerk. I asked if he had a form to fill out and that I fully expected a refund. He did hand me a form, I styck it in my pocket and dragged my luggage out of the hotel. On the shuttle, I found rhat the "form" he had given me was actually a card with a postcard attached. When I arrived home, I called the Hampton Inn 800 number and spoke with someone that said that she would give the hotel 3 days to respond directly with me. If they didn't, I should contact them back. So, you think that is the blow-off?
Without a doubt, the least professional Hampton Inn we have EVER stayed at. Tomorrow is the third day...I'll keep you posted so you'll know how seriously Hampton Inn is about their Quality Control...
George

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Lovinguhere, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale-Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear Guest,
We apologyze afor all inconvenience you experience in our property. It is our goal to be your home away from home whuile you traveling. I understand you upset due to the reason we do not have the room ready at your arrived but we were sold out the night before and we do not have any rooms really at 11:00am, housekeepers started at 10:00am and our check in time is at 4:00pm. I really understand that you had a long flight or long cruise but Mr. you need to understand as well when the hotel is sold out the night before. We tried to clean all rooms as soon as we can to start check in people but we did had more people on the waiting list, so unfortunately we did gave the first rooms available to the guest who arrived before. I hope you understand and I really hope you gave us another chance and come back soon.
Any other question please do not hesitate to contact us at 9549220011
Erika Diaz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Needs some updating in general. Pool advertised on Hilton site as heated but it is not . Staff says it never was heated. Rooms are clean and breakfast is typical Hampton Inn items. Shuttle service very good and on time.
Good plaza within an easy 5 minute walk, and some fast food restaurants around the corner.
Ok for a one night pre or post cruise stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
harrismcbride, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale-Airport, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Hello .......

Thank you for staying with the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port North during your time in the South Florida area. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write about our hotel on Trip advisor. Your Feedback is an essential part of our success! We pride ourselves on exemplary customer service to go along the outstanding amenities we have for your convenience. In reading your feedback you made mention of the hotel needing some updating, as of January 2010 we had a multimilion dollar renovation that included, everything from our hotel rooms to the breakfast area. You also mentioned that on our Hilton website it is advertised that we have a heated pool, we will look into this. We do realize that you have lots of choices when it comes to hotels, THANK YOU SO MUCH for choosing ours!

Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

From the moment we came into the Inn, everyone was pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable. It was clean actualoly spotless and we enjoyed our stay here. We came in December, February and will be coming agan in April.

Zelda and Bryan Stern

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Let me start by saying the rooms are spacious! That's where it ends.

On the downside, the staff is ferociously rude/lazy (except for one of the late night attendants). One particularly unfriendly front desk wench was mad I had missed her visiting my door with a package. Never mind that I wasn't there AND had a "do not disturb" sign hanging up and received no messages saying I had a package in the first place. "Were you sleeping?!" she asked angrily.
The non-smoking rooms smell like stale smoke (I'm here with several co-workers and all of the rooms have the problem).
There is not enough parking for the hotel guests. "Make sure you move the car when people start leaving at 5 am" was the response we got to parking in a makeshift spot we found. And we are 3 rooms of people all using just 1 car!
The lobby is disorganized with oddly match tables lined up to look like a down trodden summer camp cafeteria.
The vast majority of the other guests look significantly older than the cast of the movie "Cocoon."
The fitness room is about the size of a broom closet with a pre-historic treadmill, exercise bike, and elliptical machine (and 1 chest exercise machine).
The pool is only slightly bigger than a large hot tub.
My last night when I got back to the hotel to ask where I should park since literally every square inch was taken up my triple parked cars... there was no one in the office. FOR AN HOUR! My biggest regret is that I didn't take that opportunity to rob the hotel, much the same way the hotel robbed my company for charging money to stay here.
The "Business" Center has 2 computers, one of which was out of commission. The copy machine was also out of order. The computer that did work was not able to open Adobe, which is essential for opening pdf files that are necessary for contracts. Perhaps "business" should be taken off the door to the room.
First time I ever had our work travel department change hotels during the trip.
AVOID!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Lovinguhere, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale-Airport, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel through TripAdvisor, howeve, I'm terribly sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. I take complaints very seriously and want let you know that I have addresed each and every one of items mentioned in your review to make sure that they do not occur again in the future to any of our guest. Once again thank you for staying with us and reviewing our property in TripAdvisor.

Best regards,

Kreick Rovelo
Assistant General Manager

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale-Airport? Share your experiences!