“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Hamden, Conn.
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Beautiful clean hotel. Great friendly staff. Everyone waorking there always had a smile on their face. Wonderful friendly bartender named 'Nacho" worked the poolside tiki bar. Quite, soundproof rooms made for a restful night. Extra comfortable beds with many pillow choices. You need to rent a car if you stay here because it is several miles from area attractions and restaurants in Fort Lauderdale and surrounding towns. Also found the room service rates and breakfast in the hotel's restaurant to be overpriced. Overall if transportation for you is not a problem to get around I highly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
mistypfllso, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Dear RhodeIslandBound,

Thanks for your comments about your recent stay with us and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed some good times at Lava Tiki Bar & Grill with "Nacho"- he is truly a gem!
I also appreciate your comments regarding the restaurant; we are always conducting reviews of other properties in our market to make sure our pricing is consistent and we have found that we often offer a better value than some similar hotels.
We hope that you will stay with us again while in South Florida- Nacho will be waiting with a fruity beverage and a smile!

Misty Polihronakis
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

On arrival after a 9 hour flight we were welcomed by the staff who unloaded the luggage and duly left it in the foyer for us to take to our room with the concierge looking on and not offering assistance. The hotel itself was fine..pool area clean and spacious as were the bedrooms.

On the first night we ate in the hotel restaurant. The food can only be described as poor. At the peak time there were only two other diners. We found out why. The service was slow..a 20 minute wait for someone to take the order, a similar wait for the starters and then 30 minute wait for the main course . The waiters were rude in their manner, kept disappearing between courses and on one occasion when my wife tried to ask for something the waiter just walked off. We paid $37 for a steak which my wife found to be overcooked, small and inedible. The overall experience was abysmal and not one we would wish fellow travellers to suffer. The following night we went to Giorgios Italian, 3 miles along the same road. What a complete change. Same steak but larger, £12 cheaper and perfectly cooked!!

The Breakfast in the hotel was not a deal better, The level of customer service was very poor. One waiter was leaning with both arms on the desk at the entrance to the restaurant never spoke. The hot buffet food was just warm , flavourless and limited. Trying to get a juice or coffee was an art. In conclusion the hotel is fine provided you avoid the food and waiters!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
mistypfllso, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
Dear JerryStarnes,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip from the UK and for also taking the time to share your recent experience on TripAdvisor.
The customer experience at our hotel is extremely important and I am sorry to hear about the team members that failed to provide you with our normal standards of service in the restaurant. These comments are extremely valuable as they serve as training tools for our managers; we truly appreciate your feedback so that we can provide only the best service for our guests.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again on future stays to South Florida.
Covington, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach Resort for 4 nights. The hotel is beautiful, and we simply loved the pool! The only complaint that we had was that we booked our entire vacation through Priceline.com. Nowhere did it mention that we would be charged $50.00 per day on our bank card. We were a little uncomfortable with this but figured we would be eating at the hotel and using the money anyway. We budgeted the $200.00 over the first 2 days we were there only to find that on Saturday, we were charged another $100.00 to our bank card because we only had $8.00 left on our account. We were furious!! We called the front desk immediatley only to have the front desk person tell us he didn't have any idea why and was rude about the entire incident. Within 20 min. of hanging up, he did call back and explain that it is in the small print of the original form we signed stating that they will add another $100.00 if you fall below a certain amount. This was never explained to us upon check in. Needless to say, it is what it is, but I find that to be very inconvenient and glad that we had the money in our account to accomodate such. So if you decide to stay, and don't have credit cards, like me an my husband, be prepared to pay $50.00 per day.

The only other complaints I have are 1) One of the bottled waters had been opened, and refilled, I am assuming by a previous guest. 2) the mouth wash was half empty and had been used.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Jodell40,

Thank you for your nice comments regarding our hotel and I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed our pool area. In regards to the bottled waters and mouth wash, I apologize that those items were not refreshed for you; I have addressed with our housekeeping department.
I would like to clarify the confusion regarding your bank card; the $50.00 per day is only an authorization placed on your card in the case that you charge incidentals to your room. At no time is your card charged for anything that is not purchased at the hotel. At the time of check out, all holds and authorizations are released from your bank card after all charges have been settled and no damages have been found in the room. If our guests do not have a credit card or bank card, it is not a problem to take a cash deposit to cover any incidental charges.

Thanks again and we look forward to you returning to stay with us in the future.
Montreal.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I visited this hotel for one week, and I can to say that I have been very happy. The service is very good, and I have not complaint. The next time that I visit Miami I would like to go to this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Juneau, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I am from Florida & have been in Alaska since April, wanted to get a nice hotel since I was to be traveling with my partner who has never been (rather than stay at a friends house) and we have a commitment ceremony & birth party on a yacht this weekend, so it was supposed to be a special trip.

So being in the tourism business, I knew that many of the beach properties offered great deals thru opaque travel sites in Florida's off-season, so I got this hotel thru Priceline as a 4* bid.

Now, if everything went according to plan, I think I'd have a much different review. The hotel appeared nice.

I'm uber-elite with a few of the car companies and realized I had the wrong cc in my profile (don't wait in line, i go straight to my car), so I had to use my other credit card, which got authorized 3 times -so I had no available credit & I'm not going to use a debit card (their sign clearly stated it will hold funds up to 2 weeks) @ check-in. My accounts are all Alaska based, which is 4 hours behind Florida, it was already 145am (after flying 13 hours). So after arriving at the hotel, no one was at the front desk or valet. After about 15 minutes, an employee appeared, yelled out at the night auditor, who came out. I explained my situation hoping for a bit of sympathy over the fact I just traveled 13 hours, car rental had too many authorizations, and I wasn't able to pull cash out of my bank account until after roll-over time in Alaska, so I was refused check-in. I asked if I could just get him the incidentals cash in the morning when I wake up. He said he needed $100 per day for incidentals, I had 4 days reserved, so $400. Normally not a problem.

So by now it was already 215AM, I had to be in Orlando later that day, and knowing most of the authorizations/debits would be free around midnight alaska time, I decided to drive 3 hours to Orlando. I'm Gold Elite with Carlson (Radisson/Country inn), and guess what.. they let me check-in at 5am with no extra charge! Talk about customer delight! I didn't even anticipate staying in Orlando Friday night, but with all of my traveling I was exhausted and this will just let me see friends longer.

Today I spoke with Tala, the reservations manager. She wasn't very helpful. She dug her heels into hotel company policy and said I needed to contact Priceline as the only thing she could do was move me to a Friday check-in (I've already made plans to stay in Orlando Fri nt) after I asked if they could just move me to a Saturday check-in. I've worked for a hotel, some of my best friends are Directors/Mgrs at various chains, so I really didn't feel any type of proactive customer attention. I know what they can and can't do. I deal with Priceline as a vendor for my own company. So now I'm out 4 nights via Priceline, and it wasn't very cheap. I've now got a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and will be spending another $200 for 2 nights at another property.

Had things been a bit different, this may not have been a problem. However changing my car rental to my other credit card (has CDW coverage on it) caused over $1,000 to be held in authorizations, and I've done the debit-card game at hotels before, so I prefer to leave cash.. I just would have hoped the hotel would have been a bit more proactive with me.

While I'm not Elite with IHG, and after this I really have no desire to stay at ANY Crowne Plaza, its sad that a "lower tier" hotel like a Country Inn & Suites gave me much better service than this 4* "Resort". I just feel consumers need to be aware. If things go wrong, this hotel won't be there for you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Dear DiverDown79,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent experience at the hotel and I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate your needs. As is exhibited by several reviews on this site, we pride ourselves on the high level of customer service that we provide to our guests. While it is unfortunate that you had challenges with your credit card and bank card, we do require that all guests that check in have a method of payment on file to cover for any incidental charges that may be incurred in the hotel. As a fellow colleague in the tourism industry, I'm sure that you can understand that this policy must be enforced at all times, regardless of the situation.
Thank you again for your comments.
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This hotel has a very lackluster entrance and lobby. The location is not convenient to anything, although it does have the trolley that stops in front. The beach is walkable, but you have to cross a busy street and cut through a parking lot. No chairs are available from the hotel, you have to pay $15 to rent them. There is a beautiful pool, but the water was too warm, . The rooms were very nice, the beds were comfortable.....no complaints there.
I would have eaten in the restaurant, but it was always empty. The tiki bar was ok, but pricey.
I have a complaint about the front desk. They took my ID at check-in to make a copy, and never gave it back. I discovered this after I left (I didn't need it on vacation). It cost me $71 for them to fedX it back to me. I was at the hotel for 6 days, and they should have returned it to me when they realized they had it, instead of waiting until I went home and asked for it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear Bostonchip,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and I'm glad that you enjoyed the overnight rooms and our comfortable beds.
I apologize that you did not receive your identification back at check-in while staying with us at the hotel. In such cases, it is our standard to immediately contact the guest in their room to let them know we have their ID at the front desk. I'm currently researching this instance to see why you were charged $71 as this should not have happened. Please contact me directly so that we can remedy this situation.
Thank you.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Every category was perfect. My family stayed 3 nights and were treated very well. Room was great with a view too. Pool was great, well designed and huge. Beach and surrounding area was great. The best part was the Concierge, Jeff B. He helped us familiarize with the area and recommended 3 great restaurants for each of the 3 nights. Well done!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear ukrodt,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us on your trip from the UK and for recognizing our outstanding staff at the hotel. We hope you will spread the word about our great hotel to your friends across the pond and we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to South Florida!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!