“Enjoyed the Crowne Plaza, mostly because it was FREE! :)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #18 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Canada
“Enjoyed the Crowne Plaza, mostly because it was FREE! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

My husband and I arrived for a 3 night stay at the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach...
I am a Priority Club Gold member, and was cashing in 3 rewards nights from their Stay 2 get 1 Free Promo earlier this year. Check in was quick and pretty simple- the front desk agent commented that he would upgrade me because I was a Gold Member. We were upgraded to a King Suite on the 10th floor with a partial ocean view, and a partial pool view.

The room was very clean and modern, we were pleased with everything we saw. Beds were very comfortable, pillows too. The only thing that they lacked consistentcy on was their 'sleep program.' In all other Crowne Plaza hotels I have stayed at, they leave a sleep kit on the bed which includes an eye mask, lavender pillow spray, and ear plugs.
This kit was not left for us on any day, even after housekeeping had been through. This was not a big enough deal for me to discuss with the front desk, but just felt it was noteworthy- as Crowne Plaza's are known for their 'sleep guarantees.'

We did not eat or drink at the hotel restaurant or the poolside bar/cafe.
We felt both were extremely overpriced. We brought snacks/drinks down from our room, and as long as you're discreet about it, they don't even notice. (we were discreet, therefore did not run into any issues).

The pool was great! Large, and a nice temperature. I thought the view of the intracoastal waterway was a nice backdrop... The beach was only a 5 minute walk across the street... The pool doesn't get morning sun, so it was nice to spend the morning at the beach, and the afternoon/evening at the pool in full sun. Only downfall I would note about the pool is that there were a few times that we had to ask for pool towels, as they had run out and not replenished. This was a slow and painful process.

On our last night, we were going to watch a movie... (purchase a movie...)
The channel on which you order movies was acting up. We called the front desk, and they stated there was a problem with it. It was not resolved within 24 hours. We did not end up purchasing a movie.

Check out was fine...
We paid our self parking charges for the 3 days, and nothing else.
As the room was 'free', I was happy to see that it was truly Free!
No taxes to pay, no hidden fees, NOTHING :) A wonderful 3 night stay for FREE!

It pays to be a Priority Club member, and watch for these special promotions.
I stayed 8 nights for work in ICH hotel group properties, and got 4 nights free, wherever I wanted! (we spent our 4th nite at the Crowne Plaza La Concha in Key West- another beautiful property- and a great stay!)

Happy Travels Everyone!

p.s. we ate at the Cheesecake Factory and the Olive Garden which are both nearby!
Much better food/value for your money than eating in the hotel restaurants!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

1,174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
amherst,oh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

This has been my second and last stay at this hotel, both stays we saw locals with 3 -4 kids each park behind the bank and walk to the hotels pool area, at least 4 or 5 groups park there, this last stay we even saw one group who received "free" food and drink all afternoon, it was easy to see this group was friends with most of the poolside wait staff, we weren't so lucky, we brought snacks for our kids (12 oz Apple juice and small bag of chips) which was purchased in the hotels vending machines, the poolside bartender (female) escorted our children over too us from the dock area and firmly, yes firmly instructed us the signs clearly say no food or beverage permitted poolside, ok, I did see the signs, but come on, we had purchased these items from the hotel not too mention the expensive tropical drinks my wife and I were having poolside, that didn't matter, rules are rules, she escorted us to a area just outside the pool, turns out it was outside seating for the hotel restaurant, it didn't take long till the a manager came over too us and gave us a lecture why we shouldn't be there with these snacks we didn't purchase in his restaurant, (the place was dead, no one was in the restaurant) oh well, its my money, and there's always someplace else to stay. One quick note about the locals using the pool, I heard a child tell his father he had to go peepee, I kid you not, the father whispered and told him to go ahead and pee in pool. Don't believe me, check in this hotel on a week end and watch were the north side parking lot, you'll see were these people come from. please remember, this Hotel is a Crown Plaza, it was easy too see these people didn't belong there. Rude staff, food is overpriced and lacks taste, clearly a grill cook preparing at chef prices, You will pay a daily parking fee,(unless you use the locals parking) Hotel is on the dirty Intercostal waterway, Ocean isn't really close or viewable, its across the busy front street behind towering condos. Even if you think this place is ok, stay elsewhere, you will be blown away by other local hotels at same or less cost.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Paramus, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I'll keep it short and sweet:

1) The hotel was dirty. Stained carpeting in the room and lobby, bathroom not completely clean. I was in the lobby when a pilot still in uniform and who had recently checked in came back down to request a new room because his bathroom was dirty as well.
2) "Hi-speed" internet. Painfully slow. They do not have wi-fi in the rooms, just wired. Slow to the point of almost not usable. The wi-fi in the lobby (only) was better but cannot be gotten in the rooms and still slower than it should be.
3) Cafe? They have some kind of cafe or shop in the lobby that sells coffee and beverages. I passed in several times in the AM, afternoon and at night. It was NEVER open.
4) Room door loose and dragged on the floor when opening/closing.
5) NOT on the beach, across the street.

Shameful at the $170/night rate I paid.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza after seeing a deal on travelzoo. We were not disappointed. The room was HUGE, as well as the pool. Besides being a very busy location, the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The only gripe is we HATE to pay for valet, but in this case you had to valet or were charged a daily rate anyway. Other than that, we would stay again if ever in the area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel is definitely worth the money....

The issues that others had, we did not. This hotel was very clean. The housekeeping staff were very good. We did not mind walking across the street to get to the beach. It was actually a nice walk. Upon our arrival, we were issued drink tickets that we promptly took to the 'tiki' bar... we were then promptly ignored by the bartender... he appeared to favour the inebriated guests (wet people walking out of the pool and up to the bar) that were at the pool all day, to wait on two people who just arrived to the hotel! Guess the tips were good $$. We stood there for a good 20 minutes when we decided to go inside and have our cocktail. This was probably for the best anyway, because it was VERY humid and quite nice in the air conditioning. We chose not to go back to the "tiki" bar and found the little bar right on Hallendale Beach (beneath the water tower & next to the fire station) and were very pleased! The owner was there and very nice, as well as the barkeeps :). And, it was right on the beach!

We also did not mind paying for parking, which is definitely an issue in this part the beach. Our rental car was safe in the hotel's parking lot. The boardwalk along Hollywood Beach is really nice, however, you have to pump money into meters on the side streets of the beach in order to be legally parked. That is, of course, you can find a spot!

If I had to go back to this part of Florida, I may come back to the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte,North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

Hard to believe there are any negative reviews as hotel met all my expectations. We were there on a quiet week ,service was very friendly,stayed on the 9th floor. Room was large,quiet ,luxury beds (double sheeting,light down comforter, 6 pillows,) not too soft (I sleep on a hard bed at home) though beds were full sized, not queen. Pool/cabana romantic ( much nicer than the Westin Diplomats'). To recap other reviews so you know what to expect: Hotel is in S. Hollywood Beach/Hallandale on a busy intersection on the intercoastal, not beachside. It is not a resort as only amenity is the pool and beach.No ocean view. Beach is across the street. Boardwalk begins 1 mile north. For nightlife&restaurants &shopping,stay in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Hallandale attractions are Gulfstream Park casinos/horse racing and a greyhound racing track For a quiet beach on the boardwalk, with closer restaurants,park and public parking stay in north Hollywood. The mom and pop hotels directly on the beach are old Florida, but looked immaculate with pools and patios and would be more appropriate for families than a formal luxury hotel (think of sandy feet and wet suits in an elevator). Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

The Crowne Plaza, Hollywood Beach was comfortable, quiet and very reasonable for the Priceline price. The trip to the hotel is about 15 minutes driving distance from the Fort Lauderdale airport. Check-in was quick and easy and I found the staff in the lobby to be polite and responsive to questions and requests.

I had already been aware prior to arrival of the very high cost of parking a rental car ($14 for self park and $18 for valet parking), prior to arrival from another poster here on trip advisor. I took their advice and parked around back by Bank of America. On a few days when these spots (there are only 4) were taken, I took a risk and parked in the lot opposite. Never had a problem with my car, except for the worry on two days when I parked in the lot that I might be towed....but several other cars were parked there overnight so I guess it was ok. I stayed seven days without a problem.

The room was well appointed and had a mini kitchen with sink, microwave, coffee pot, coffee, and a good size mini refrigerator. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very peacefully each night. The bathroom was roomy, perhaps because the sink was right outside the bath room . This did not bother me as it was done tastefully and there is a good distance between the sink and the bed and the rest of the room. It might bother me if I was with someone else who woke earlier and was brushing their teeth while I was trying to sleep. I could easily see how this could be an annoyance for some travelers.

The housekeeping service was just ok. They often forgot to replace used items, they did not change the linens on the bed without asking, I spilled a little wine on the cover, and when I got back to the room, the bed was nicely made with the wine spot covered up by a pillow. They did not replace the toilet paper right away and waited until the roll was empty and left the sand on the floor in the bathroom until asked to sweep it up. I also had to ask for them to scrub out the tub. If you are a very tidy person this would irk you as it did me. For this service issue along with the fact that the hotel is NOT located on the beach but across the street and through a condo building, I cannot see why the hotel is rated 4 star. 3 yes, 3 and a half maybe, but not 4.

The pool area is quite nice and the pool is well maintained and beautiful. There is a little Tiki bar at the pool so you can buy drinks. Towels were provided in a bin.

As mentioned the hotel is not directly on the beach. While it is only a short walk across the street, if you survive the traffic of A1A, then it is no problem. The beach is actually Hallandale beach as the hotel is not really in Hollywood, but a few blocks from the border of Hallandale in Dade Count and Hollywood in Broward County. Regardless, the beach is very nice and you can rent a beach umbrella and chair for $25, or just use one of the hotel towels for free.

Since it was off-season, I found the beach to be very clean and it was like having the beach to yourself. Very few people where there and you could have lots of privacy, especially if you went early in the morning (9am). I could easily see how this could be romantic at any time of day during this off season. The beach and the water was simply beautiful.

If you have your heart set on walking the boardwalk of North Beach in Hollywood, then you will have drive about 5 to 7 minutes north of the hotel to do so. Parking at the beach is $7 for the day. Again because this is the off season, North Beach was quiet and the boardwalk stores were hit or miss in terms of being open. It is a lovely little walk surrounded by a nature park and again the beach was lovely, this area stretches about a mile and a half.

I didn't use the hotel restaurant as this was a budget stay while I was looking for a place to live, but it seemed like for the menu offerings, the prices were very expensive.

The Hollywood downtown area is really concentrated in about 4 square blocks with the main streets being Hollywood Boulevard and Harrison Street where the activity (bars, restaurants and shops are centered). Outside of this area and the surrounding Lakes area, the other areas were not keeping up with downtown development and I found it to be quite run down and depressing.

I think the best thing about Hollywood city is its friendly people and its location as a central point between other places. Very easy drive to downtown Fort Lauderdale, North Miami Beach, 35 minutes to South Beach without the pricey price tag for hotels in that area, 1 hour to Palm Beach, 45 to Boca.

All in all I had a very nice stay and I found my place to live.....albeit in West Palm Beach instead of Hollywood.

If you go, don't forget to stop at Kenny's (the owner) Sushi Blues -- Blue Monk Lounge on Harrison Street. It is a great restaurant, bar, with great music and a professional networking night on Thursday that totally rocks. Sushi is fantastic.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!