“Only Moderate” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
London, United Kingdom
“Only Moderate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed here for 7 days having spent 12 days in other Crowne Plaza hotels in Florida (Orlando - Universal Studios & Tampa).

In comparsion to the other 2 hotels, this was the poorest we stayed at. Got the impression that this hotel wants to maximise the money it extracts from its guests.

Starting with parking - (having gone to Universal Studios & Disney in Orlando I thought $16 and $15 respectiely was a rip off) this hotel charges $19 for Valet parking and $17(plus tax) for self parking - whereas, although the valet parking charge is in line with Crowne Plaza Orlando ($20) and Crowne Plaza Tampa ($18) both of the other hotels offer free self parking. I note that whenever parking charges are raised this Hotel's standard response is that the charges are in line with other hotels in Hollywood Beach (are the hotels operating a parking charge cartel?) - just because other hotels choose to fleece their guests over parking charges doesn't make it right for Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach to fleece its guests for parking - particularly when the parking is on the Hotel's property!

On our first evening we ate in the Hotel's restaurant. There were not many guests in the restaurant - 4 tables max. We ordered meals and our server, instead of bringing Steak & Fries as ordered by 1 of us brought Chicken & mash! With two servers for four tables how can the guy be that incompetant? The result was that 1 of us ate our Entree whilst the other waited for his steak to be cooked. To add insult to injury, added to the bill was a compulsory 18% service charge. This appalling service did not warrent even a 1% tip. I have no problem in tipping for good service but I really object to this "tax" which applies regardless of the standard of service delivered. I passed by the restaurant on many evenings - not surprised the restaurant was virtually empty on each occassion. Prices are higher here than both the Crowne Plazas in Orlando & Tampa. Needless to say, we did not eat here again.

In complete contrast, the service we received at breakfast was excellent - particular mention for Jackie for her friendly professional service.

Thw one excellent aspect of this hotel is its situation overlooking the inland waterway and the execellent swimming pool. One drawback - price of drinks at pool bar is excessive - one white wine and one rum & coke cost over $20. Fortunately, Walmart has a store about 5 mins away (across the drawbidge on Hallendale Blvd) where a decent bottle of wine costs well below the cost the hotel charges for a glass!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tana F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Peter D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that the parking charges were an inconvenience during your stay. Unfortunately, those fees are standard at hotels in this area along the beach-side. Regarding the gratuity in the restaurant, we will be sure to share your comments with our Food and beverage team and see where there is room for improvement. We greatly appreciate your mention on Jackie's services. She is truly a gem and we'll be sure to share your compliment with her. Again, thank you for sharing this informative review with us. We hope to see you in the near future.

1,176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is our fourth stay. Friendly hotel staff. Convenient self-parking or valet. Pleasant lobby with LIVE plants all over. I know, because the plants I wasn't sure were live, I touched. They were. Even the floral arrangements on the front desk were freshly cut and beautiful. I know because I touched them, too!! Room was good size. Balcony. Fridge, microwave, clothes closet AND luggage closet where ironing board was. Terry robes. Quiet. Temperature control was easy and quiet. The hallways were so thickly carpeted that you did NOT hear millions of suitcases rolling to their rooms at all hours. Good grip bar on shower wall. A no-slip bath tub bottom. We ate breakfast there every day. (not in the bath tub, but in hotel's restaurant ;-)) Again, friendly service. Now for the BEST part: outdoors pool-side was well-designed. If you didn't go across the street to the beach, you didn't miss terribly much, because the hotel's wave pool (wavy??), abundance of palm trees and other green plantings, was designed so beautifully that relaxing was easy. The pool winds all around, so kids can do their thing and you can be at another part of the pool, undisturbed. Of course we ordered snacks and libations while enjoying the views! The hotel is on a canal/waterway so you get the water view, and a drawbridge a quarter mile away, makes for interesting viewing when one of the big pleasure boats comes by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room seventh floor and above facing the waterway. Ask for a room not facing the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tana F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear musicmuse2,

First of all, thank you for your loyalty to us!
We are pleased to know how much you and your family enjoyed you stay with us, once again. Your feedback on our staff services and our hotel are much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you all back to Hollywood real soon. Thank you again for your time.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I really don't have anything nice to say about this place. Its very lack luster and depressing in my opinion. The room just didn't feel clean. The mattresses were horrible ! Cheap and thin, just bad. The carpets could use a good shampoo. The ice bucket was dirty inside. The front desk person that checked me in could use a vitamin B injection to put some life back into him . I came back to the Hotel one night and forgot to get a bottle of water, yes 7-Eleven is a block or two away but I was already in the Hotel and they have a little store type place there in the lobby with a fridge full of drinks. I asked the front desk attendant ( same man that checked us in ) if I could purchase a bottle of water. Now the fridge filled with drinks was right in front of us and he said NO because they were closed ????? Really??? I asked if they had a restaurant to which he replied "Yes" and motioned to me with his extended arm "Over There"... Nevermind ,I figured I'd just go to one of the vending machines on the floor. BIG MISTAKE! I went to three different floors and walked down LONG hallways on each floor only to find out that NONE OF THEM WERE WORKNG ! Do you think they could have posted a sign saying that there were out of order and save you the long walk? By this time I was parched! Figured I'd just fill the ice bucket in the room and suck on some ice..NOPE Ice bucket was dirty and had food particles inside..Ughh Need I say more? .. Save yourself. There are so many Hotels on Sunny Isles just a hop, skip and a jump away thats where I ended up my next trip there and was very happy that I did !

Room Tip: Good Luck in finding one there ..Make sure its clean before you unpack !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Diana C,

Thank you very much for sharing this review with us.
It is unfortunate to hear know that you were not satisfied with our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback on where there is room for improvement. Please feel free to contact us at sales@cphollywoodbeach.com directly should you like to discuss this further. Thank you again for your time.
Fort Myers, Florida, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The staff Is first class at this facility. From the front desk to the restaurant and the Tiki Bar out on the pool deck. Service was fantastic. Our room was very spacious with a great view of the beach and Ocean and the inter Coastal waterway. Our room was very clean and nicely decorated. Convenient for walking on the beach and seeing the local sites. The pool area is huge and laid out great

Room Tip: Anything on the 8th floor is great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jay S,

Thank you for this wonderful review. We strive to exceed our guest’s expectations and it's truly a pleasure to receive feedback when our guests are satisfied. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share this review and hope to welcome you back to Hollywood in the near future.
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Good evening! I am from Boca Raton Florida, I stayed at the magnificent hotel last night, 10/4/13 Checked out this afternoon. All I can say is WOW my two brothers and i wanted to have a friday night of fun to celebrate on job promotions. We walked in and we where greeted so warmly by Elizabeth Middleton, she was so friendly she asked all about our trip in, she proceeded to give us a great view, One of the best I have seen! Additionally she thre in some complimentary drink passes to enjoy atthe magnificent infinity pool. I could go on and on about how great her hospitality was but i am sure everyone who has stayed there prior to me knows! I happen to be a guest service Rep in the hotel industry and I know quality ! she is the definition! She deserves the best ! Thanks again Crwone Plaza Hollywood Beach to all outlets of hotel ! Everyone was outstanding! Made it a night to remember! Rooms where very spacious and comfortabel as well. SHould be rated a 5 star in my book!

Room Tip: Rooms are great we where on the 10th floor great view of the city as well as the infinity pool and i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Peter W,

Wow! Thank you for sharing this amazing review with us.
We appreciate the wonderful feedback of Elizabeth's customer service. She is truly a gem and will be recognized for providing you all with such unforgettable service during your stay. Thank you again for sharing this review and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant staff and facilities, BUT...

My back is still sore from the mattress. They don't provide a comforter, just a quilt which I don't like.

The concierge didn't have a specific recommendation for food and he gave us really bad directions. So I'd recommend doing your own research for food and attractions online.

The pool was very nice, and the front desk staff were also nice...although for some reason it took us about 20 minutes to check out.

Overall I would've returned if the bed and bedding was more comfortable, but I just can't do that to my back again.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Dana D,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.
We are sorry to hear that the bed was not comfortable during your stay. Did you inform our front office during your stay? Perhaps we could have changed rooms. However, we will look into this with our management team and take necessary action where needed. We certainly hope to get an opportunity to have you stay with us in the near future.
Thank you for your time.
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Keep in mind if you are staying at this hotel that you have to pay a daily rate to park your car. That was an expense that was not factored into our budget, and put a dent in our spending. Also, there is no continental breakfast, so the only thing that comes free with the room is coffee. With that said, the hotel room was extremely clean, updated, and the hotel is convenient to the trolley line to get to the beach. The location was perfect, as we wanted to see Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood Beach and Miami Beach. Just close enough to everything.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ginnie C,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. We are sorry to hear that the parking charge was an inconvenience but it is standard for hotels along the beaches here in South Florida. We hope to welcome you back to Hollywood in the near future. Have a great October!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!