“Not good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 64 Hotels in Hollywood
Moore
“Not good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I can't complain about the price for the days I stayed. I did not have a microwave in the room, no one came to bring clean towels, empty the trash, or make the bed. I believe there was only one housekeeper. Apparently beds do not get made. I did not feel that comfortable even though the staff was nice. The back gate will not open with the key I was given and the washers were outside. Where the dryers were is beyond me. And after hours you can't go through the front. This is only my review but it may have been wonderful for others. Leaving towels on the chair outside someone's door does not constitute they will get it. Hopefully my small review will be taken as a way to better the hotel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Let me start by saying I am not a "hotel snob". I believe that you do get what you pay for, but basic cleanliness should be part of the program.
I had the displeasure of staying here for 4 nights. I didn't expect much, because of the low rate, and I didn't plan on being in the room that much anyway. I could not get a refund, because it was paid in advance, per policy, besides that, it was a weekend in high season, and if there were any decent rooms available, I could not afford them.

Issue 1: Owners live on site, but never around. Arrived, went into lobby, and had to go searching the premisis for someone to check me in. Someone finally came, and did not know how to access a reservation that I booked using their own website! After about 30 minutes, I was checked in and shown my room.

Issue 2: FILTHY room. This is an understatement. The vertical blinds had gaps in them, and would not close completely, I felt as though people could see in. Thick dust on tabletops, etc.
Sheets don't appear to ever be changed...and there was one lumpy pillow with what appeared to be black mold/mildew all over it.

Sheets: I pulled back the sheets to look.... and very noticable all over...pubic hairs. Also, crusty stains of a certain bodily fluid.... THEN, as I looked between the bedspread and the sheet.....I found what appeared to be a used, bloody tampon. I went to get the man from the front desk, who came to my room, and upon seeing the tampon, picked it up with his bare hands, and tried to hide it. He told me that "This room is very clean, very clean, we just cleaned it this morning"...etc. I asked that he bring me a new pillow, and change my sheets. At that point I said, No, I want a different room. He told me that it was impossible as they were full, and of couse there was no refund. I should have made photos, but I was too shocked. He did bring me a new pillow, but my sheets were never changed. I had to buy bleach and do them myself in the motel laundromat.

"Maid" service: The room was not serviced ONCE during my stay. I had to BEG for a clean towel.

Apparently, this is a "short stay" motel and it is really a health risk in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
houston, tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

It is a very basic, old motel in a good location.
The rooms are now all non-smoking, but it will take a long time to get the smell out. We used it just to sleep in for one night on the way through town, and that is about all I think I could stand. I might stay there again if I get the same low rate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed here in october 2010 for 2 weeks. Unfortunatly we payed the room in advance. We asked to save the room once a day, and they said it's ok. Well, when we arrived, we realized, that the bed-clothes was not change after the previous roomers. The bed was full of spots and hair, and it was really really dirty. After a very long flight, people like to sleep, but when we asked (at 4 pm) to change the bed-clothes they did it 8pm. So we had to wait 4 hours to sit our lie somewhere. After we realized that the climate doesn't work. This is Florida, so it was almost 30 degrees in the evening, so we had to ask the staff again, to do something, because we not get a breath. Finally he did it, but it was so loud that we can't sleep only with ear-plug. The bathroom was also terrible. The shower was very dirty, full with hair. The "high speed wifi" doesn't exist at all. We found under the beds dead cockroaches, a pair of used socks. During our stay they save the room once (!!), but that was not a real cleanup...(after that the socks and cockroaches was still under the bed). The lock was very weak, and it is not a safe location, so we felt we are not safe. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed. PLEASE DON'T GO THERE!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Lakeville, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Immediately after check-in, we knew this was a mistake. The TV and lights were on in the room when we checked in to let us know this room hadn't been cleaned. Room furnishings consisted of a bed with a sunken mattress, and run down fridge, and some build in cabinets, when opened, fell of the hinges. Outlets had no plates, and exposed wiring. The door had obviously been kicked in, and instead of being replaced, had been reassembled with screws. Blinds where broken and gaps offered no privacy. We immediately asked for a refund and were denied. We stayed one night, and then moved to a new hotel, loosing the money for the remaining nights.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

We paid in advance to stay at this place for 3 weeks on a snow bird vaca and were disgusted. For tourists paying good money this place was in a horrible location, far from the beach and any real areas of interests. Drug addicts, prostitutes and strange looking people would approach us whenever we would go for an occasional walk which we soon learned was not the smart thing to do in this part of town !!
Needless to say my wife and I demanded a full refund which the motel owners refused to oblige, so we checked out and found a much nicer place over on the beach where we felt much safer and comfortable

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxfordshire, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Always use tripadvisor before staying anywhere, and have never been disappointed with what I got when I checked in - I don't just stay in luxurious hotels, I have stayed in budget accommodation before, so I knew turning up not to expect Hilton quality.

The hotel is fairly easy to find. I was expecting the area to be better, if I am honest - looking out of my window, I could see a bunch of guys gathered in the front yard in the middle of the day. Another fella at the street corner. Having seen too many American shows, my mind raced a bit. Not exactly the kind of street you'd want to park your car on, even if it's just a rental. Saying that, nothing happened to it. They say not to leave your valuables in the car, but we took ours with us wherever we went.

Sheila was there to greet us at check-in. To be fair, she did seem embarrassed at what was to come (more on that in a minute). I kinda figured we'd made a bit of a mistake when the main hotel entrance door was locked in the middle of the day. We had to lift a phone to enter. Not good when a woman with half her teeth missing is hollering at you from down the street.

Our main considerations when booking the hotel were that we wanted it to be safe (figured the whole Hollywood area was kindof plush and well to-do - the downtown/beach area seemed safe, but 3 miles can make a hell of a difference...), clean, good value and close enough to make a one day trip into Miami. Having checked out Miami beforehand, we kinda figured it wasn't the place for us, and we were right. The other consideration was that rooms had to have a kitchen, for my partner to cook in if no gluten free restaurant could be found.

Now on to cleanliness and the rooms in general. The first room we went in, I found a potato chip on the floor, hairs all over the place, what looked like spaghetti stains on the sheets, and a non-functional air conditioner. Straight to the front desk we went. Second room didn't have the kitchen we'd paid for (something like $60 a night, plus tax) and we found an empty pizza box in the kitchen. To me, that just says that the room hasn't been cleaned. The third room we went into seemed better, although Shelia insisted the sheets be changed. Walking into the kitchen, I found an old, Styrofoam plate on top of the fridge with a meal's remains on it. At this point, we wondered if it was worth checking other rooms.

Due to the fact that we were only going to be there for two nights, and that it was relatively cheap (not that you should substitute cleanliness for money - that should come as standard), and the fact that finding somewhere else would have likely meant paying a much higher price, we stayed. Due to the standard of the rooms, we didn't bother using the pool and spent as little time as we possibly could in the motel. Suffice to say, my girlfriend didn't use the cooking utensils!

I knew with only four reviews on here (all very positive), there was a chance we'd be caught out. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I booked up - you shouldn't have to get into the 'it's only for 2 days' mentality when on holiday. It should all be good.

Due to the fact we paid over $60 a night for our accommodation, and we didn't even use the kitchen that we'd paid extra for, I would say we received terrible value. There were no bugs in our room, but there was a gecko. As they're cute, I didn't bother mentioning it. They're everywhere in Florida anyway.

The excuse provided for the state of the rooms was that the regular cleaner was off sick, however the replacement worked at the place during the winter months anyway - it wasn't like it was some temp who didn't care. No matter if the cleaner is sick or not, you should take care of the room cleanliness, that's priority number one.

Overall, I would recommend spending a bit more money and finding somewhere safer. If you're not into clubbing, then Hollywood is a decent base for a stay in the Miami area - however, it'd have been better in a more relaxing hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Beach and Town Motel? Share your experiences!