“It was dark and late - what more can I say?” 3 of 5 stars

Curtis Inn
1501 S Federal Highway, Hollywood, FL   |
Ranked #41 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
London, United Kingdom
“It was dark and late - what more can I say?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had one night here this week, and we'd had a long drive and we were too far from Kissimmee to go back...

We had the last room which had a kitchen - a bit odd, but there you go! The room was big and the bedding was obviously new which was good. Quite noisy as it was on a very busy main road. The bathroom left a lot to be desired - very old fashioned and in need of a major make-over! One reviewer mentioned the state of the floor, so it was 'socks on' at all times...

Now, I may be a bit out of touch with prices in the US and maybe it was because it was a Sunday, but it was almost $100 for 1 night - yes, really - and after a search around the area, that was the cheapest we could find without the fear of being murdered in our beds! Well, not quite, but you know what I mean!! There was also an odd smell in the room - not sure what that was.... not nasty - just odd. Best not to ask, I think!

Would not recommend this time...

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stay here 4 night and i stay very good ,the location it's amazing,inside it's clean and the bad comfortable.
Staff very friendly ,first i booking 2 night for a suite and than 2 night for a king room and they left we stay in a suite .It's close a police station ,supermarket.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

Only staying for 1 night, thank goodness. The entire building needs repaired and I keep finding thick black female hairs in the towels, on the bed and the floor. Also, the only good things were the king bed and they were willing to let us have the room early. Then, even tho we got the room early, it was a smoking room, even when I said non-smoking. We opened the window and it wasn't too bad. Also we tried to take a nap at 3pm and they were banging around doing the repairs I said they needed. Do that when the hotel is closed people.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Lake Mary, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

For the most part we booked this inn based on price and reviews from various web sites that gave it a fairly good rating. Mostly we noticed that the reviews indicated it was "clean". We found it to be clean and by no way a fancy place. It's an old building (screw in breakers). It looks like the owners are probably keeping it up pretty well, on a tight budget. We asked for a requested a non-smoking room, but didn't get it. There was a smell of old cigarette smoke and stale something else... But the room air was off and it was pretty hot inside. We bought some room spray at the CVS and gave it a couple good doses before we left for the evening. It helped a lot and the rest of our two night stay was fine. Room 121. King bed.

There were burn marks on the kitchen counter. The light cover over the dining table was off, laying on top the. Things that seemed minor to us would probably bug the hell out of some people. Wall picture mirror frame with out a mirror. Old furnishings, some paint issues, loud air conditioner (that worked great), etc. But we enjoyed the price and the stay.

The man at the counter when we arrived and checked out was very nice. We always appreciate that. Nice pool. Well maintained.

Room Tip: If a fanatic about no smoking room... make sure that is cleared up before hand. Take it for what it...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Sanbornville, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Curtis Inn is right on A1A just south of Ft Lauderdale airport. We stayed 3 nights which was likely 2 nights too many. On the surface, a nice option but some of the shortfalls become more obvious over time...

The good:
-- Rate was very reasonable.
-- The room was comfortable and spacious including good air conditioning, coffee set-up, fridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. Wireless internet was free tho a bit slow.
-- The facility also has a rather nice pool area sheltered from the main street with comfortable chairs and umbrellas for hanging out
-- Very close/convenient to Ft Lauderdale airport for an early flight.

The not so good:
-- No phone! Anytime you wanted to talk to the desk, you needed to go there. And we needed to talk with them several times (get coffee, soap, etc).
-- We asked for 2 keys: the "primary" key worked fine. The spare key was a pain: I was NEVER able to get it to work. A couple of the staff had a similar problem, though the "main" guy seemed to twist it a certain way and it would work. He told me I needed to try harder. HUH? Just give me a key that works!
-- Bath/shower was ok: Could use some updating.
-- The room décor is rather shabby and blah. Really nothing engaging,
-- When you pull back the room curtain for natural light, all privacy was lost with people walking back and forth. Need a privacy curtain.
- Further from a beach than we expected and not a very nice area.

The ugly:
-- Walls are pretty thin. At night, we could clearly hear the TV from the next room. We suspect it's 'cause our bed was up against the wall where the other room's TV was mounted.
-- The FLOOR of the room was not carpeted. After walking around barefoot, I noted our feet were BLACK with dirt. The floor looked clean, but it was not. There was no visible dirt or grit, but a little swipe of the floor with a damp towel was very telling. They sweep, but do not clean. We tried to wash our feet prior to bed so we did not dirty the sheets, but did get some grit on the bed. Sheets were not changed that next day. yuck!

Bottom line: OK for an overnight. Would not "vacation" here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

While on a road trip of Florida we only decided to book certain places, Miami/Hollywood not being one of them! We were on the A1A trying to locate a place beachy but ended up finding no vacancy wherever we tried. Due to this I thought the best area would be downtown Hollywood, I took us the wrong street and we ended up on the 1 west, pretty good though as we came across this little gem. Granted yes it's a tad dated and would be inclined to say could do with a little tlc but for the $65-$100 price range for the Miami area it was great, bed was huge, bathroom fine, our room had all kitchen requirements, fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee maker, cutlery etc. Across the road we picked up some supplies from the supermarket. If you are looking for a stopover place to lay your head then this is the right place. Only reason it didn't get an excellent was due to the dated decor and was in need of tlc, staff very helpful. :-)

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This Hotel is being the nicest surprise I ever had!... after reading here i though it is a Horror house, but nothing like that!
The Hotel is really SUPER, clean, the rooms are big ( the one we had),the kitchen works perfectly although no kitchenware avialable. The beds are made everyday and they change the towels as many times as you ask. The offer/price relation in my opinion is very fair! I would reccommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for a good family budget hotel.
The pool is deep although it doesn't look like that from outside, they have an ice machine and we saw a BBQ but don't know if for the clients or for themself.

Read below if you want to know the hole story:

I have booked this hotel for a very good friend of mine who lives in Viena (Austria) and trust in my experience as 11 years travel agent. She is used to a certain confort/standard and was traveling with her 13 years old daugther...
The reservation was for a weekend and almost all hotels were full, so I found this one and without even thinking I took it.
Then I started to research a bit ...
After I read the reviews here... I must say I got scared...
Ohh... MY...GOD... I've booked a non refundable room in a HORROR Hotel!!!.. I was stuck!
I was completely desesperated, thinking about the horrors that the people have written here about this hotel and thinking on the 209USD for 3 nights and the lack on free rooms for these dates ... what to do?!!... I just said... AMEN ... "que sea lo que dios quiera"
We came to the hotel and were surprise beacuse was bigger than I expected (my friend didn't know anything about the reputation of the place)...once at the lobby a very gentle woman asked us in a very good english "what can i do for you?" We explained that we had a reservation, she had a look at computer ( "not bad...they have a computer"..I thought)...she asked wether we need wifi and gave us th codes...it took not longer than 3 minutes and we were checked in.
They gave us the key and show us where to go. A nice swimming pool and our room was just infront... "not bad" (thought)
Time to get into the room ...Ohh my god... now comes the worst (I thought)...but...what a nice surprise!....the room was sooo big, and clean...the kitchen...works...the micro...works...the refrigerator...also works!!!...the bathroom... ohhh there is a second small room... ohhh... an Iron ...and even one iron table!! Who goes in holidays to iron??!!! But it was there!...hair dryer...also present!...towels... 8pcs of them in all sizes... cold water..there.... hot water...there... what is wrong?? (because something should be wrong)...but unfortunately...we couldn't find anything wrong that day...
Don't worry (thought) tomorrow starts the horror for sure!... but nothing... the day passed absolutely perfect, we went to the beach (around 4 miles from there so you will need a car) and in the afternoon came back to the hotel, the kids wanted to jump into the pool and it was perfect because we could have a look at them from the room...
Hmm... nothing wrong yet... strange...let me try the wifi... haaa... I knew it!...The wifi doesn't work!...went to the reception and explained and what a surprise.. they just gave ame a new code and explained that the codes have only are valid for a certain time after created and I have to log in at least once during this time, to activate....OK...the wifi also works... but maybe at night something happend... (thought)... bu again nothing.... and next day was also perfect and we left the hotel three days later, waiting for something terrible or even just bad to happen...but nothing...we left the hotel and still everything was PERFECT!!!
So.. in my opinion...don't believe everything what ou read here in trip advisor... better wait and make you your own opinion!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Curtis Inn? Share your experiences!