“A tad shabby, but good 'nuff for an overnight stay” 3 of 5 stars

Curtis Inn
1501 S Federal Highway, Hollywood, FL   |
Ranked #40 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Sanbornville, New Hampshire
“A tad shabby, but good 'nuff for an overnight stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Curtis Inn is right on A1A just south of Ft Lauderdale airport. We stayed 3 nights which was likely 2 nights too many. On the surface, a nice option but some of the shortfalls become more obvious over time...

The good:
-- Rate was very reasonable.
-- The room was comfortable and spacious including good air conditioning, coffee set-up, fridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. Wireless internet was free tho a bit slow.
-- The facility also has a rather nice pool area sheltered from the main street with comfortable chairs and umbrellas for hanging out
-- Very close/convenient to Ft Lauderdale airport for an early flight.

The not so good:
-- No phone! Anytime you wanted to talk to the desk, you needed to go there. And we needed to talk with them several times (get coffee, soap, etc).
-- We asked for 2 keys: the "primary" key worked fine. The spare key was a pain: I was NEVER able to get it to work. A couple of the staff had a similar problem, though the "main" guy seemed to twist it a certain way and it would work. He told me I needed to try harder. HUH? Just give me a key that works!
-- Bath/shower was ok: Could use some updating.
-- The room décor is rather shabby and blah. Really nothing engaging,
-- When you pull back the room curtain for natural light, all privacy was lost with people walking back and forth. Need a privacy curtain.
- Further from a beach than we expected and not a very nice area.

The ugly:
-- Walls are pretty thin. At night, we could clearly hear the TV from the next room. We suspect it's 'cause our bed was up against the wall where the other room's TV was mounted.
-- The FLOOR of the room was not carpeted. After walking around barefoot, I noted our feet were BLACK with dirt. The floor looked clean, but it was not. There was no visible dirt or grit, but a little swipe of the floor with a damp towel was very telling. They sweep, but do not clean. We tried to wash our feet prior to bed so we did not dirty the sheets, but did get some grit on the bed. Sheets were not changed that next day. yuck!

Bottom line: OK for an overnight. Would not "vacation" here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
warrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

While on a road trip of Florida we only decided to book certain places, Miami/Hollywood not being one of them! We were on the A1A trying to locate a place beachy but ended up finding no vacancy wherever we tried. Due to this I thought the best area would be downtown Hollywood, I took us the wrong street and we ended up on the 1 west, pretty good though as we came across this little gem. Granted yes it's a tad dated and would be inclined to say could do with a little tlc but for the $65-$100 price range for the Miami area it was great, bed was huge, bathroom fine, our room had all kitchen requirements, fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee maker, cutlery etc. Across the road we picked up some supplies from the supermarket. If you are looking for a stopover place to lay your head then this is the right place. Only reason it didn't get an excellent was due to the dated decor and was in need of tlc, staff very helpful. :-)

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This Hotel is being the nicest surprise I ever had!... after reading here i though it is a Horror house, but nothing like that!
The Hotel is really SUPER, clean, the rooms are big ( the one we had),the kitchen works perfectly although no kitchenware avialable. The beds are made everyday and they change the towels as many times as you ask. The offer/price relation in my opinion is very fair! I would reccommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for a good family budget hotel.
The pool is deep although it doesn't look like that from outside, they have an ice machine and we saw a BBQ but don't know if for the clients or for themself.

Read below if you want to know the hole story:

I have booked this hotel for a very good friend of mine who lives in Viena (Austria) and trust in my experience as 11 years travel agent. She is used to a certain confort/standard and was traveling with her 13 years old daugther...
The reservation was for a weekend and almost all hotels were full, so I found this one and without even thinking I took it.
Then I started to research a bit ...
After I read the reviews here... I must say I got scared...
Ohh... MY...GOD... I've booked a non refundable room in a HORROR Hotel!!!.. I was stuck!
I was completely desesperated, thinking about the horrors that the people have written here about this hotel and thinking on the 209USD for 3 nights and the lack on free rooms for these dates ... what to do?!!... I just said... AMEN ... "que sea lo que dios quiera"
We came to the hotel and were surprise beacuse was bigger than I expected (my friend didn't know anything about the reputation of the place)...once at the lobby a very gentle woman asked us in a very good english "what can i do for you?" We explained that we had a reservation, she had a look at computer ( "not bad...they have a computer"..I thought)...she asked wether we need wifi and gave us th codes...it took not longer than 3 minutes and we were checked in.
They gave us the key and show us where to go. A nice swimming pool and our room was just infront... "not bad" (thought)
Time to get into the room ...Ohh my god... now comes the worst (I thought)...but...what a nice surprise!....the room was sooo big, and clean...the kitchen...works...the micro...works...the refrigerator...also works!!!...the bathroom... ohhh there is a second small room... ohhh... an Iron ...and even one iron table!! Who goes in holidays to iron??!!! But it was there!...hair dryer...also present!...towels... 8pcs of them in all sizes... cold water..there.... hot water...there... what is wrong?? (because something should be wrong)...but unfortunately...we couldn't find anything wrong that day...
Don't worry (thought) tomorrow starts the horror for sure!... but nothing... the day passed absolutely perfect, we went to the beach (around 4 miles from there so you will need a car) and in the afternoon came back to the hotel, the kids wanted to jump into the pool and it was perfect because we could have a look at them from the room...
Hmm... nothing wrong yet... strange...let me try the wifi... haaa... I knew it!...The wifi doesn't work!...went to the reception and explained and what a surprise.. they just gave ame a new code and explained that the codes have only are valid for a certain time after created and I have to log in at least once during this time, to activate....OK...the wifi also works... but maybe at night something happend... (thought)... bu again nothing.... and next day was also perfect and we left the hotel three days later, waiting for something terrible or even just bad to happen...but nothing...we left the hotel and still everything was PERFECT!!!
So.. in my opinion...don't believe everything what ou read here in trip advisor... better wait and make you your own opinion!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Smoke detector was out of the ceiling. No towel rack. One light and electrical outlet not working. Heavy traffic made it hard to sleep. Rooms are far from sound proof. Not the best of neighborhoods. Guess we came during the wrong season as the value paid for the room was poor. First day they left no soap. This was in room 201 right around the corner from the office.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
curtisinn123, Manager at Curtis Inn, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hello,

Thank you for staying at our hotel. We do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We have updated our property since your last stay. There aren't any loose smoke detectors hanging from ceiling and we made sure to have plenty of towels/soap in the rooms. We do agree that our prices are very competitive for all the amenities we offer. We hope to see you next time
Brasília
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The motel is good, the rooms are big and confortable, and there is a full equiped kitchen. Mac Donalds is just a few blocks away and there are delis nearby. The parking is free and there is a swimming pool. The manager is very nice and helped us in every way. The only problem is the location, as the neighborhood is a bit scaring. We did not have the courage to walk in the street alone. But it is very practical if you intend to go to the outlets. Therefore, if you are careful, I don't see any problems in staying there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

When I first came everything looked nice n clean couple of days later there was a rat n the room and the kitchen sink kept over flowing. I was moved to another room up stairs and the shower didn't work well. They made it seem like it was my fault . They was really rude ...

• Stayed January 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We felt at home in a poolside two-bed efficiency, No problems, large and clean rooms. Always parking space, free wifi. The pool is nice and easy to access, the poolside is comfortable, rsurrounded with palms and other plants. Nice detail, a dove made with a towel is on a cupboard the day you arrive.
Rooms are equipped with LCD TV, large fridge, eat-in kitchen, electric stove, coffe-maker and microwave. All supplies, coffee, soap, towels, etc. are provided effectively.
We got what was expected and when we requested something we received it.
The hotel is well located, with nearby stores and not far from the beaches and Hollywood shopping and entertainment areas. Nice surroundings, too.
Some cons: No dishes and kitchen ware. Treatment is a bit cold and distant from the staff. Could help to see more smiles around (there are exceptions). Another con is that calls from outside many times don´t receive answers. If there can´t be someone permanently at the phone they could use an automatic system where the outside caller can just dial the room number. Overall, a pleasing experience, nice place to rest and take advantage of a sunny day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Curtis Inn? Share your experiences!