“Ok but a bit inconvenient” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel to your Saves list
Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   334 Arizona Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Toledo
“Ok but a bit inconvenient”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a mixed 10 bed dorm and since we got in late we had to get the key out of the mailbox which was fine until we realized that we were supposed to pay for a meter on the street which would of been $20+ instead of getting to park for $10 at the hostel. Since we didn't have change we just parked at the hostel hoping not to get towed since we didn't have a pass. In the morning when we went to checkin we found out that they had put us in a all female dorm instead of a mixed dorm like we had reserved and they were upset at us so I had to show them that we had in fact booked a mixed dorm. Also the all purpose area and kitchen were not open to us when we came in which was a bummer since we wanted to reheat food to eat and didn't really feel like going to bed right away. I had called the hostel twice the night we were driving in to let them know we were running late, I would of thought they could of mentioned something to us about the parking and/or the room switch. On the upside the room and the bathroom were clean.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hello Deborah930,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We apologize that your stay was not a 5 star one! We apologize great for the minor inconveniences that you experienced with us! Unfortunately we need to close the kitchen area after a certain time. Though situations like yours are rare, it is something we must always be vigilant about as we continually try to enrich your stay with the best experience! The next time you are back in town, I would love the chance to personally make sure your stay at our hostel is an all out success!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed at the Hollywood beach hostel for two nights during a holidays trip in December.

The place itself is a combination of hotel and hostel and i stayed in a ten bedroom dorm room. The room itself is relatively small so with so many people it can become very crowded. The beds are not made prior to your arrival which was a hassle when i arrived late and had to make my bed in the dark whilst trying not to wake the other people in the room. There are two bathrooms in the room so there was never any wait to use the toilet/shower. The lockers are very small and can only fit valuables, so your bags will have to remain near to your bed. There is a lack of power outlets in the room aswell which made charging devices hard. The air conditioning unit in the room does work but it is pretty loud, although necessary in the heat.

The staff were helpful and helped me with figuring out the bus i needed to take to get to the greyhound station.

There was no real atmosphere in the hostel section so I wouldn't recommend it as somewhere to meet over travelers.

The location is a two minute walk to the beach which was the main reason i came to this hostel so in that sense it lived up to expectations.

Overall, the hostel is cheap and in a good location next to the beach but it is basic and isn't a great place to meet other people.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Good Afternoon ainsleyb,

Thank you so much for the time you took to provide us with your honest feedback! We are both a hostel and a hotel with so much to offer. I will definitely make sure to inform the Director of Housekeeping your comment about the beds not being made, prior to your arrival. I am extremely glad to know that you were provided with great customer service. Please come back soon!

Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Oh how we would have loved to stay longer....We will be back! This place is the best! I'm speechless. The location to the beach, the awesome clean room, the entire atmosphere, the entire staff. We could only stay one night on our stop over before we traveled home. To fully enjoy the entire experience of staying in this hostel, I recommend staying several days. Thank you all for your hospitality, warmth and friendliness. I love staying in Hostels when we travel...not only for the price but the people you meet on your adventures is beyond great! KUDOS to the Owner! Don't change a thing. This is definitely a place where a guest is treated like family. To all of you "Have a wonderful New Year". Thanks for everything...Sandy and Mike.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
HAPPY NEW YEAR Sandy M,

Thank you for the time you took to share your honest feedback with us! We are so glad to know that your stay with us was a 5 star one! The location of our property can't be beat. We are located in the middle of all the action. We wish that you could have stayed with us longer! Please come back when visiting Hollywood, FL again! We would love to have you!

Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

i am an avid hostel traveler and this place gives you best of both world hotel or hostel. when i am there alone i stay in group rooms (sounds awful) but its always fun and interesting people. the people that work here and operate the lobby tv room internet room and kitchen make the place enjoyable. the free bikes and beach chairs and beach towels were welcome and unexpected. the bar lounge taco shack attached not only is good but its one of cooler places near the beach. waking up and jumping into the surf is amazing.. and walking the famous broadwalk is ideal for a single or couple traveling.

Room Tip: if you are use to hostels go for a group room . if you are NOT, get a private room. and also if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hello there jjerseyJoel,

There is nothing that we love to read more then lovely 5 STAR FEEDBACK such as yours! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, and all of our future guests! It is definitely always fun to meet new people!! Here at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel & Hotel you are able to do that. I am glad that you were able to experience the great service that our staff provides first hand! They work hard to make sure that each and every guest is having a great time with us! I see that you were also able to take advantage of the amenities that we offer such as the bikes and beach chairs. Taco Beach Shack has some of the greatest Mexican food and is always so fresh! Please come back soon for another memorable time!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Easy to find by car! Right next to the highway exit. Not far from airport too.
Staff very nice, clean and quiet.

Short drive to the outlets & the flea market. Easy strolling down the beach for various meals and ocean sights.
If you use credit cards as an emergency, beware the deposit of $50.00 on your card takes a long time to show up. It has been over two wks with visa. Plan for this.
Other hostels accept cash and return in when you check out.

Room Tip: Choose the smaller dorms, less entry n exiting.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Hello there mslioness,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent experience with us! We are just a block away from the highway exit, and indeed very easy to find. I am glad to know that you were satisfied with the service that you received from our staff! We do take a hold for incidentals when you check in with us. Depending on whether you card is a debit or credit card, it can take longer for the hold to be released back onto your account by your bank. Please come back for another memorable time with us! We would love to have you!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I didn't know what a hostel was and quite frankly, I'm glad I didn't!! Knowing what I know now, I would have expected a loud, filthy and definitely unsafe place for my children and I to stay. The entire staff worked so well together to make sure our stay was perfect and memorable. Super clean and super quiet!! So peaceful and relaxing, yet close enough to the boardwalk nightlife!! Taco Shack has awesome food and wow the $2 margaritas..incredible!! The bunk beds were perfect for the kids, we never felt crowded. Which is very easy to feel that way with 2 adults and 4 kids!!! The only complaint I have is that I couldn't stay longer!!! We will definitely be returning!! Would definitely give more than 5 stars if I could!!

• Stayed October 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hello Tinotch,

We value every one of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! When people think of hostel they do think of loud, dirty, and perhaps unsafe. We definitely have a different approach here at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel. We are the complete opposite of what you would think a hostel would be like. Our staff is amazing and all of our guests love them. They are always working hard to make sure that the grounds are well kept and that every guest is well taken care of. It's very quiet in our area and we like to keep it that way, so that our guests can relax as that is what they came here for. :) Taco Beach Shack offers delicious Mexican food at very reasonable prices, and they have awesome specials going on. We can't wait to have you and the family back to stay with us again, for another memorable time!

Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I enjoy frequent weekend getaways to Hollywood Beach and especially enjoy staying in the old Florida motels. So that's the first thing - this is a motel. It is quaint, the grounds are nicely kept, the rooms are updated and fun. It's also adjacent to a great restaurant with excellent Mexican food.

However, despite all of that, we will never stay here again. The bed was more like a piece of plywood and we both spent the night tossing and turning from discomfort. If that wasn't bad enough, I woke up with my feet and legs covered in BED BUG bites. After looking closely at the mattress, bug presence was obvious and now I understand why the desk clerk wouldn't let us see the room until we gave our credit card info.

I know that bed bugs are not an indication of cleanliness and are present in fine hotels as well. I just choose to avoid the places where I know they are present because I don't want to take them home! Too bad. Cute place.

Room Tip: From reading other reviews, a room near the restaurant is a bad idea. Though ours was not near it, I...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Good Afternoon RobertdOhana,

Thank you for providing us with your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us! I am terribly sorry that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! Regarding your bed were you able to inform the front desk about this at the time that you were with us? If we were aware of this, we would have definitely moved you to another room. We just had a state inspection one month ago and they checked all of the rooms, and very thoroughly and passed it! We have never had a guest complain about bed bugs. I think that it could ants or mosquito's keeping in mind that we are an outdoor property and when you leave the door open it's the entrance way for these insects to come in. We never have an issue showing any guest our rooms. We have had many guests in the past want to see the room before they book, love it and book right away. I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable time with us!

Katrine

Been to Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!