“Looks nice but beware of the bed bugs” 1 of 5 stars

You added Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel to your Saves list
Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   334 Arizona Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Florida
“Looks nice but beware of the bed bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I enjoy frequent weekend getaways to Hollywood Beach and especially enjoy staying in the old Florida motels. So that's the first thing - this is a motel. It is quaint, the grounds are nicely kept, the rooms are updated and fun. It's also adjacent to a great restaurant with excellent Mexican food.

However, despite all of that, we will never stay here again. The bed was more like a piece of plywood and we both spent the night tossing and turning from discomfort. If that wasn't bad enough, I woke up with my feet and legs covered in BED BUG bites. After looking closely at the mattress, bug presence was obvious and now I understand why the desk clerk wouldn't let us see the room until we gave our credit card info.

I know that bed bugs are not an indication of cleanliness and are present in fine hotels as well. I just choose to avoid the places where I know they are present because I don't want to take them home! Too bad. Cute place.

Room Tip: From reading other reviews, a room near the restaurant is a bad idea. Though ours was not near it, I...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Good Afternoon RobertdOhana,

Thank you for providing us with your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us! I am terribly sorry that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! Regarding your bed were you able to inform the front desk about this at the time that you were with us? If we were aware of this, we would have definitely moved you to another room. We just had a state inspection one month ago and they checked all of the rooms, and very thoroughly and passed it! We have never had a guest complain about bed bugs. I think that it could ants or mosquito's keeping in mind that we are an outdoor property and when you leave the door open it's the entrance way for these insects to come in. We never have an issue showing any guest our rooms. We have had many guests in the past want to see the room before they book, love it and book right away. I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable time with us!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Johnstown, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I needed a place for just a night and wanted to be on Hollywood Beach. Found this at a great price, the place was cute and clean and perfect. Probably the best night I spent, walking the beach, eating at one of my favorite restaurants. The location, the atmosphere was perfect. Will definitely stay here again. I was there in June 2011. Went for a wedding, my best friends and they left for their honeymoon and I stayed here one night before heading home....was the best night :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Good Afternoon bfzwoman,

There is absolutely nothing that we love more then to see 5 stars with an amazing review! Thank you so much for sharing yours with us, and for choosing to stay with us for the night! We do offer great unbeatable prices, and great amenities to go along with. We hope that the next time you stay with us, it will be for more then 1 night! :) We hope to see you soon!

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hostel was good for the price - stayed in a private room and couldnt ask for more as far as location.

Took forever to get anything done as far as renting out equipment or asking a simple question at the front desk because there is one person there who is handling /everything/.

I did have a problem once i left - I left something behind in the room and wanted to have UPS come out and pick it up for me to ship it back - all they had to do was OK that. it was unimportant to most, but sentimental (marriage proposal, etc).

I couldnt get them to respond to an email. One person told me OK ot the UPS pickup and the next told me my only option was to come pick it up(granted I live 1000 miles away).

After a week of back and forth, they told me items not picked up in 72 hours are thrown out and it was not in lost in found.

Good concept, good atmosphere - but they should:
a) pay for an additional person during peak hours
b) be more responsive to issues.

if not for this, i would have easily given it a 4-5.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hello ChrisFarker,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us and all of our future guests! I see that you were content with the price of our private rooms. We do offer unbeatable prices and a load of amenities that are included!! We are also in a great spot in Hollywood, close to it all. I am sorry that things took a little longer then expected for you. After all your on vacation, there is no need to hurry. I see that you encountered a slight issue with having UPS come out and collect your papers. I believe that it was a misunderstanding, as we have no problem signing off or handing over something to UPS that a guest has left behind. This has happened several times and things have always gone smoothly. We hold things in our lost and found for a minimum of 2 weeks. I will make sure that all of our staff is aware of that as well.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I am a frequent to this place and recently went for a vacation. I had such an amazing experience.

Bruno from the front desk from the beginning was very eager and friendly while checking me in. He was very welcoming, advised me of some freebies included and some hot spots around. The check in process was very fast and soon I was headed to my room.

The first impression inside my room was like "wow!! Super comfort for mee, yayy!!" My bed was like laying in heaven, smelled super fresh and the decor was just breathtaking... the tv right in front my bed was a plus!! The bathroom is very well decorated.

Housekeeping team, Sup. Taimi, who would take care that my room was always ready, fresh and comfortable for me after coming back from a super fun (and exhausting) day at the beach.

I would like to also express my gratitud to Indira & Diego, from the front desk, as they would always check that everything was fine and my stay was nothing less but excellent.

The Taco Beach Shack has the best happy hour 2×1 in town. Their food is a must try, daily specials and more ;)

Kudos to the GM Pamela Garcia for such an extraordinary experience!! You have a great team :D

Room Tip: If looking for a room at a great price with great costumer services, you found it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Good Afternoon palvarado13,

Thank you so much for providing us with your amazing 5 star feedback! I am extremely glad to read that you had such a great time while staying with us! I see that you were provided with excellent service by our staff from start to finish. Taco Beach Shack has amazing food and great specials! It's definitely a must try restaurant!!! Please come back and stay with us the next time you are in Hollywood.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here while apartment hunting in Miami area. Great place to return to in the evenings. Beach and boardwalk just steps away. Nice Cuban coffee in the mornings. Do not make the mistake of pulling into parking lot across the street because hotel will assign you a space near your room. Rooms decoration very nice with terrific colors. Refridge and microwave. Hotel rents beach chairs, umbrellas, bikes etc. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Good Afternoon karla h,

We value your feedback and want to thank you for taking your time to share it with us! The location of our property is great, as we are just steps away from all the hot spots as well as the beach. All of our guests love our amenities and it makes it very easy and convenient for our guests. We would love to have you stay with us again in the future!

Hollywood
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Clean, nice decoration, had good TV, light, bathroom/shower, towels, good bedding.
There are no instructions how to check in if you arrive late, staff did not offer solutions to issues such as dining, late arrival. There is no water/sodas/ice inside the room or in vending machines, very few parking spaces, hotel doesn't offer extra beds or rooms with 2 beds (1 queen or 4 bunk beds).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hello Andrea B,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you for taking your time to share it with us! I am glad to see that you had a nice time while staying with us! We do indeed offer rooms that offer 1 Queen and a sleeper sofa, as well as the beds that you mentioned. Unfortunately our area struggles with parking and it is very limited.
We hope that you would come back and stay with us again in the future!

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My sister and I stayed there for a week this May, however, we had to share our private room with a family of cockroaches. We killed one - he was a fat one, the size of a small mouse, I kid you not. That thing was terrifying. The response of staff was "we don't have this problem". They even tried to blame it on us by saying "oh, you must've left the door open".... They wouldn't even provide us with insecticide spray, so I had to actually buy 2 cans on my own money.

Mind you, if you love or generally don't mind big insects crawling around your room, bathroom, and possibly luggage and clothes, then this place is swell: it's super close to the beach, has free bike and beach chair rentals, coffee, wifi. The rooms are even nice too, but the roaches and staff's inconsiderate attitude/lack of help with this issue really made the experience rather negative. However, I do give it 2 stars, because we did have an awesome time at the beach, and biking around the area.

Another couple of notes: beach gets SUPER busy on the weekend (and I mean busy all the way from Hollywood to Dania beach). And, this area in general is mostly and older/family crowd. So, if you are looking for a more of a deserted beach or younger/surfer/hippie/drum circle crowd, then keep on looking.

There's a ton of hotels in this area, and if I were to go again I would not stay at this one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Polly_Ts,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback! I am terribly sorry to read about the issue that you experienced with the insects. Unfortunately the only way for these critters to get in is through the door. Perhaps the door was left open for too long, or when you weren't looking they got in. Regardless of how they got in we should have accommodated you in assisting to get rid of them. If not moved you to another room where you were more comfortable. I am glad to at least see that you were able to enjoy the amenities that we offer our guests! I will definitely make sure to inform the General Manager about this. I would really love for you to give us another chance! Please let me know if you are visiting Hollywood again, and I would make sure that you would have an amazing time!

Katrine

Been to Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!