“Roaches” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   334 Arizona Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Vancouver, Canada
“Roaches”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My sister and I stayed there for a week this May, however, we had to share our private room with a family of cockroaches. We killed one - he was a fat one, the size of a small mouse, I kid you not. That thing was terrifying. The response of staff was "we don't have this problem". They even tried to blame it on us by saying "oh, you must've left the door open".... They wouldn't even provide us with insecticide spray, so I had to actually buy 2 cans on my own money.

Mind you, if you love or generally don't mind big insects crawling around your room, bathroom, and possibly luggage and clothes, then this place is swell: it's super close to the beach, has free bike and beach chair rentals, coffee, wifi. The rooms are even nice too, but the roaches and staff's inconsiderate attitude/lack of help with this issue really made the experience rather negative. However, I do give it 2 stars, because we did have an awesome time at the beach, and biking around the area.

Another couple of notes: beach gets SUPER busy on the weekend (and I mean busy all the way from Hollywood to Dania beach). And, this area in general is mostly and older/family crowd. So, if you are looking for a more of a deserted beach or younger/surfer/hippie/drum circle crowd, then keep on looking.

There's a ton of hotels in this area, and if I were to go again I would not stay at this one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Good Afternoon Polly_Ts,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback! I am terribly sorry to read about the issue that you experienced with the insects. Unfortunately the only way for these critters to get in is through the door. Perhaps the door was left open for too long, or when you weren't looking they got in. Regardless of how they got in we should have accommodated you in assisting to get rid of them. If not moved you to another room where you were more comfortable. I am glad to at least see that you were able to enjoy the amenities that we offer our guests! I will definitely make sure to inform the General Manager about this. I would really love for you to give us another chance! Please let me know if you are visiting Hollywood again, and I would make sure that you would have an amazing time!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Johnston, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We loved staying here! The location is great...a half block from the beach in about the middle of the Broadwalk. The room was immaculate as well as the patio area around the hotel. They had beach chairs, towels, bikes, volleyball and ping pong equip that you could borrow from the hotel free of charge. We only stayed one night but it would be the perfect place to spend an extended vacation since it's so relaxing and laid back here.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid noise at night, get a room away from the Taco Shack restaurant that is attached...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hello JMH79,

We are glad to read your wonderful 5 star feedback! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! The location of our property is great and in the middle of everything. We have a lot of great amenities that are complimentary for all of our guests to enjoy! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Ambridge, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Hollywood Beach Suites and Hostel is a favorite of mine. It's a great value. Clean and convenient to the beach. I actually went in August '11, it was great - all adults no children! So it was very quiet! In the evenings travelers just sit out in the patio and relax. Very nice.

• Stayed June 2012
Good Afternoon StephMarie8504,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star feedback! I am very glad to read that we are a favorite of yours! Our staff works hard to make sure that our guests are comfortable and our rooms are clean. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed one night at this hostel and hotel. We're middle aged. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly. It's a nice to place to stay and worth the price. I would reccomend this hostel and hotel to people of all ages. Although we never ate at the restaurant, it sure did smell good! We'll return to this hostel and hotel, again, someday. Hollywood Beach is nice and this hostel and hotel blends right into it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Ernie G,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback! I see that you had a nice time with us! We do have very good and affordable prices with great quality and service to go along with it! Please come back and stay with us again soon! The next time you come dine at Taco Beach Shack, they have amazing food and drink specials!

Miramar Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Literally just a late night stop had to leave early in the am. I was a little bit skeptical when I saw the name but our room was clean and yes the bathroom is small as previous ppl posted. Free WiFi and right by the beach. The price is really really reasonable for what you get! And the Taco Beach shack was really good! I would go back!

Room Tip: Call and tell them you want a room away from the restaurant.. unless you like loud music!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello Mcoreo,

Your wonderful feedback is greatly appreciated and we thank you for taking your time to share it with us! I am very glad that you chose to stay with us on your late night stop! I see that you found the hotel to be clean and although with a small bathroom you had a great time with us! We can't wait to have you stay with us again soon!

Beach Lake, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you are interested in a clean, comfortable accommodation at a reasonable price close to the Hollywood Beach Broadwalk, then this is the place. I too was skeptical when we first pulled up and entered the front office. There was a big screen tv and two computers with internet access along with a small front desk. We had a short wait for our room to be ready, and we were pleasantly surprised.

The room looked newly remodeled in an art deco kind of style; the room was clean, bed comfortable, and there was a small refrigerator and sink, and a small bathroom with a shower. Yes, the toilet area is tight and you need to sit sideways on it, but for the price of the room, we could put up with that. In between the units, there were chairs and picnic tables for guests to use, and a deck area off of the front desk where there were seats as well as bikes, beach chairs, beach towels and surfboards for guest use. All you had to do was sign them out at the front desk.

We did not hear any noise from our neighbors. People were friendly, and we always felt safe. There was off street parking, and we had no difficulty getting a space near our unit. The Taco Shack next door had some first class dishes in a casual atmosphere, and we ate there twice. There were plenty of choices of places to eat. The only complaint I had was that there were no cups (even plastic) for you to use. Fortunately, the woman at the front desk found us some red solo cups and a few plastic utensils to use. We are hooked on Hollywood Beach and would most definitely come back with our kids the next time.

Room Tip: If concerned about potential noise from other guests, request to be away from the larger suites.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello PSU_Crazy,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your extensive feedback, for us and all of our future guests to read! I see that you were content with the room that you were given and, the cleanliness of it. We offer a lot of great amenities to our guests which include the beach chairs and towels, bikes and surfboards and all kinds of fun outdoor fun stuff. I see that you were able to dine at Taco Beach Shack! They have some amazing good their with lots to choose from and, great prices! I am very glad that our staff was able to locate plastic utensils and cups for you to use. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future!

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Friends- I love to travel and go where the road takes me, and I was so thankful the road ended here. I had to take a travel break and decided this was the town and my iphone led me to a priceline deal at this hotel. The attached taco bar and band sort of turned me off, but I was being cheap and decided it was a decent rate and the place was clean. What a pleasant suprise the room turned out to be! It was great, nicer than most hotels- only complaint was my knees hit the wall when I used the bathroom. It had great decor, nice touch amenities, excellent staff and sooo close to the beach you could taste it! The kids and i have decided this place was a bargain bonanza and a real gem of a find.

Room Tip: Tell the staff you need a quiet room, away from the music!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hello Leigh E,

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated, and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! I am glad that you were content with the cleanliness of our hotel, and how great your room was. Our amenities are loved by all of our guests, and we are glad that you liked them as well! Our staff is always eager to serve you and I see that is the kind of service that you were given! Please come back soon, we can't wait to have you stay with us for a second time around!

Katrine

Been to Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!