“Good Budget Accommodation” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   334 Arizona Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Vancouver, Canada
“Good Budget Accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a budget hotel/hostel. We stayed in a private room with private washroom (shower only). The room was a good size, including a small kitchen-style table and chairs, microwave, bar fridge. It was bright, clean. The satellite TV should have come with instructions, but that was the only negative. The adjacent mexican restaurant is decent for a beer and a snack or light meal. The location just off the quieter end of the beach but just a few minutes to the action is excellent. For a budget level property, it's pretty good value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Good Afternoon VonWoogle,

Thank you for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are glad that you enjoyed our property and the size of the room! Taco Beach Shack is amazing and has SO much good food!! Their Chicken Tacos are so delicious! Please come back and stay with us on your next visit to Hollywood!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Quebec/Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I wanted a calm and clean place to stay, near the beach, and cheap, which I got.
If you are looking for a more comfortable and private experience I would suggest the private rooms, or going elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Good Afternoon Al2cand,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback! We are very glad that you chose to share your opinion with us! We are glad that you got what you were looking for, and what was a calm, cheap and clean place to stay near the beach. We hope that you chose to stay with us the next visit that you make to South Beach!!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were going to arrive around midnight, so we called and they arranged to have the key left somewhere for us, which was great.
When we arrived in our room I was surprised and disappointed. I was expecting something a little nicer (have to remember never to trust photos). The room was very musty and a bit dirty. All the furniture seemed sticky. There was a mini fridge & microwave. Nothing else.
In the morning though, we realized it was just run down and needed some paint and upgrades. We purchased some anti-bacterial clothes and gave everything a good wipedown and felt much better. Also bought dishsoap, sponge and a couple glass dishes to "nuke" some eggs and hot water for breakfast.
The room was clean, bed very comfortable,fridge clean and cool and didn't see any bugs.

***But BEWARE!!*** The communal kitchen in the office was INFESTED with cockroaches! We went to go make breakfast in the morning and there were at least 6 just leisurely walking on the counter and under the pots etc. If there were that many in midday on the counter, that means there's hundreds unseen! Needless to say, we left, didn't make anything and didn't return to the kitchen. YIKES!

So, for a very convenient beach destination, I would recommend these basic rooms. We were going to the beach every day and weren't in the room much anyways.
On the weekend the boardwalk was great, lots of people walking and lots of ice cream or frozen yogurt to be had! Plenty of beach bars too...... Mamacita's was always hoppin with live music.

There's a Dollar Tree & Walmart about 5 minutes away (E Hallandale Blvd) if you want to buy groceries, beach accessories etc. Better than the crazy expensive ones on the boardwalk.
The hotel does have about 5 chairs, 2 umbrella's, a couple surf & body boards and 6 bikes you can use for free, first come first served.

Hope you have a good trip!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hello Hate-being-cold,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are very sorry that you had that kind of experience in the kitchen. Did you explain this to the manager or the front desk? If so, who did you speak with? We would have definitely taken care of the problem immediately. Since it is a communal kitchen some guests are not as clean as other- which will draw the bugs to where there is food. We do have our lobby attendant make sure that the kitchen and clean and ready for our next guests to use. We also have it exterminated several times a week. I am very glad to read that you had a good time while staying in Hollywood! Our location is prime and walking distance from everything. Were you able to get a bite to eat at Taco Beach Shack? They have some of the best Mexican food there. We would hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

Have a great day!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend just recently stayed there and I was shocked on how clean the rooms were. The front desk agent walked us to our room and told us about the free bikes and beach chairs we can use. YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT! Beds felt super comfortable and it was a good experience. I would definitely come back again :)

• Stayed December 2012
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hollywood Beach Suites, Hostel and Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello Eneal,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I am very glad to read that you had a 5 star stay while staying with us!!! From your room to the service that you were given and to our amenities- it seemed like you and your boyfriend had a great time. Come back and let us host your getaway again!

We hope to see you soon!

Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hostel was actually a nightmare. Except that it's close to the beach it hasn't got anything I can recommend. I faced very unfriendly staff, a 12 bed dorm with just one bathroom (couldn't manage to See it from inside, since it was always blocked, what is actually not a wonder, if 12 folks are using one bathroom together), no pillow on my bed, additional 10 Dollar for parking my car (without guarantee for any space), just cold coffee in the morning and finale the social area is just a floor, but not really a place where you can meet other people.
Wouldn't go back again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hello Jens,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely sorry that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! I apologize that you were not given A+ service! Do you remember the name of the employee that was attending you? The style of Hollywood is very hostel like. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I am always concerned with the cleanliness of the hotel I stay, so I had read all the reviews about this place and didn't find anything that stops me from booking a private room ( two peas in a pod). But I didn't have the happiest experience:

1. Found some dark spots on the bed sheets + hair so I used my own backup bedding that I had with me.

2. screamed to find a not completely dead cockroach when I opened the fridge (pic attached). When I advised the service desk, the lady just said : "ok, I'll send someone to clean it up" !! and I was like, : is that it? no apologies, no compensation, no way to make up for it? and she said " your booking is prepaid by Expedia" [ I suggest you don't do so, cause if something goes wrong, you can't do anything!], and she continued " I don't understand why you are upset, I said I'll send someone to clean it" !!!...

3. The hostel/hotel asks for a 100$ deposit for possible damage to the appliances in the room. I didn't have a 100$ cash with me so they made a COPY OF MY CREDIT CARD & made me sign a preauthorized withdrawal in case something happens. When I wanted to check out, I asked them to give me the copy they had made from my credit card. But they said " it is necessary that the copy remains in our files for the record". I asked them to at least give me a paper confirmation that my authorization is cancelled, but the lady looked so surprised for such a request, played with the computer for more than half an hour to give me a computer print of the cancellation and finally ( when she couldn't) wrote something on a piece of paper saying that "this credit card will not be charged"...( I am waiting to see what happens on my e-statement)

4. I was in Hollywood to attend a conference. When I checked out, I forgot to take the poster I had presented at the conference with me ( I guess I just wanted to get out of there). I went back a few hours later to get it, but they said there was nothing in your room! (except the conference book that they had kept for me). So they had either threw it away or didn't want to give it to me. Luckily, I didn't need the poster anymore and I was tired to get into another argument with them. so I just said "FINE!"

The location of this place is great, close to beach and easy access to a trolley that takes you to downtown Hollywood for 1$. If you can ignore the cleanliness and poor service, this place might be a good option for a short stay. I wouldn't want to repeat the experience though. Goodluck

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Good Afternoon A S,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! I am extremely sorry to hear about the spot on the bed. Would you happen to remember the name of the lady that was at the service desk? If not, what she looked like? I would like to make sure that she is well aware of how to give outstanding customer service. In regards to the hold on your card- it is mandatory that we keep a file of your card with us until everything has been released. Your card will not be charged but she as well should have presented you with better service. Was this the same agent that was at the service desk that you spoke with in regards to the roach? I would love for you to give us a second chance if coming to Hollywood again! Please contact me directly and I would love to personally handle your reservation.

Luck, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

It's a great place to stay for adults, but there's nothing for kids...except the beach 1 block away. The location is awesome, being a block away from the beach. The Taco Shack next door has great food. Free bikes, umbrellas, chairs, boogie boards for guests. The bikes aren't the best looking, but their free for guest use. They don't have kids bikes, which I think they should have at least one or two.

I would definitely stay there again. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room E3 if it's gonna rain. The gutters must've been full because the wate...