“A Gem Right on beach” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
durham
“A Gem Right on beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have just stayed here for a week,we found it to be very clean and right on the beach,we had a one bedroom apartment which was actually very spacious ,we met one of the owners and she was quick to ask if everything was ok and to not hesitate to tell her if there was a problem with our room,we found this a nice touch,we looked around before booking so close to Miami as a lot of the hotels have a $20 per night parking charge but this hotel comes with free on site parking with your own allocated parking bay ,overall we wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel and would stay again next time we are this way

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
It was such a pleasure to meet you and hope that on your next visit we will "exceed" your expectations!! Our staff definitely make every effort to provide you with a great vacation experience in a clean establishment! Please keep in touch and will see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Franklin, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We love to stay at the Manta Ray. There are so few family owned cozy hotels anywhere, This little Gem is right on one of the best beaches anywhere. In addition to being walking distance from the Hollywood Beach Boardwak full of shops and place to eat (very clean). The hotel is, as my wife and I say "the end of a style of travel". I mix my work and fun time. We really can relax and enjoy our visits. Each room is really a little apartment. We can go out or cook in. The grounds have plenty of tables, chairs a few Bar-B-ques, the sandy beach is just a few feet away, parking is close and there is always on of the Boucher family (Thomas, Donna or Dwayne) around, just to make sure your having a great stay.

Room Tip: all the rooms are similar, it isjust 2 stories tall, all the rooms face the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
It is always so great to have the two of you come and enjoy our little piece of heaven! Sharing our Inn with travelers such as yourselves is what puts a smile on our face every day!! You know that you are an important part of the Manta Ray Inn family and that is what makes our jobs so easy!!
The Inn is definitely old Florida and we appreciate sharing it with you every visit!!!
victoria,bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

What a great place to stay in Hollywood Beach.
Wonderful management and a roomy one bedroom right on the beach can't get better than that.
We were able to stay in our room until our late flight out.... thank you.
Nice and quiet at night. Every thing you need to cook etc.
Our cab was arranged for us.
Free WiFi.
We loved this hotel and would come back again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
It was such a pleasure to have the two of you stay with us and that your really enjoyed the family, laid back atmosphere of the Manta Ray Inn! We definitely do our best to make sure that each and every guest leaves with a warm and friendly feeling about the Manta Ray Inn. I know you said you will be back and we cannot wait for that to happen so we can really spend some time and get to now the two of you and make you part of our family!! See you soon and happy holidays!!
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Upon my second visit here I had a BAD gut feeling. One of the reviewers earlier hit the nail on the head, and I thought he was crazy after my previous review and visit. I tend to agree now after a second visit and in low season at that.

I waited around for about ten minutes upon check in before anyone helped me. Their maintenance person assuring me that someone would come and help me and assured me that he locks the door and no one would have access to my bags, wrong, I left to go and look for someone, and they were in fact left unattended. It appears this person lives in the space immediately behind the so called (catch all) front desk.There is a general unfriendliness here which leads me to believe they are just waiting for a developer to come in and take them out of their MISERY. I was not in any way greeted as a returning guest who gave a glowing review.

No one was around most of the time I was there. Which is ok because I am a very independent traveler and know my way around Hollywood, but for someone else I am sure this is a problem .

Upon Check out a very weird thing happened. It appears the front desk is used for everything but Customer Service, and they appear not to be able to keep help that is not family. There was someone, I am sure a friend of the owner's sitting there sewing the ratty bedspreads into pillows(cheap)telling me how short staffed the Inn is and how all the GUYS were at Nascar. I would not think this is a problem except for the fact that it was not her place to tell me the owner's business. I was sitting there struggling and it was TMI and unprofessional. I was struggling to print a boarding pass because she told me "OH they don't do that but you can use the computer" I don't consider myself computer illiterate but they had a weird Safari setup on their computer so once I got into it I was having a problem printing and then I wanted to also erase any trace of my information and could not. This women quilting in the office storms out to the Owner who is micro managing the cleaning people, who don't by the way speak English(and she is rude enough to mention that) We are in South Fla and you have been here how long, 20 years, learn some Spanish., She told me earlier her usual person had a wedding, doubtful since on their website/Facebook they are advertising for someone, which in and of itself is unprofessional and not re assuring for guests and to be overwhelmed by 11 rooms? I have been at other small lodging in other beach places, family owned that handle this flawlessly with no notice to customers.. Anyway, The owner storms in with an attitude and prints for me and then offers to call a cab for me the next day for my travel to the airport. At this point since she seems soo utterly stressed out and does not ask me for my cell number or anything, and because I have an early flight I call the cab company myself to find out she has not made the reservation by 3Pm that day. I was nice enough to call her from where I was for the day to tell her not to bother that I did it and she lies and tells me she will be in the office until 6 , this may have been true but their posted hours are until earlier, how was I to know. No customer service, no caring, no nothing. Only one room is worth the price they charge and it is creepy to think this woman would let a single woman traveling alone be stranded or raped because she gave out a room number to a cab driver without my knowledge which is what she told me when we went back and forth after my stay. I just have such a SICK feeling. If this is the number one place in Hollywood Beach, that is very sad. I tend to think the reviews are from friends and I know she is a chamber and SSL member, so It is all skewed. I feel like I now need a vacation from this vacation and am planning something soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
We really thank you for your comments and sorry that someone being in the office from 9:30 am to sometimes after 6 pm while you were with it did not seem to complete your needs. Our night time security guard was definitely aware of you being there and did exchange discussion with you on several occasions. Not sure who you refer to as a maintenance man as we do not have one so I have to guess that you were thinking about Gerry our housekeeper that has been with us for now almost 11 years and he does not, and has not ever lived on the premises. Gerry has been such a part of our Manta Ray Inn Family and even though he now is aging he definitely is still part of our Manta Ray Inn staff and we think of him as family! It saddens me to think that you did not enjoy your second stay with us at the Manta Ray Inn even though you were in an ocean front one bedroom apartment that had just had an upgraded bathroom at a cost of $10,000.00. That would tell you that we are committed to the property and to our guests who are part of our Manta Ray Inn family. We definitely try to give every customer the personal attention that they need and to supply everything that they need to have a relaxed getaway. Our efforts with you
failed and we will try with other customers to make the corrections to have the "exceed their expectations". It seems strange to see the now left in your room about how much you enjoyed your stay and the upgrades to the bathroom!! I am sure that you will enjoy your next visit at another Superior Small Lodging property!!
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We just had our first stay here and it will not be our last. Unfortunately, it was a quick trip and we were only there for two nights. It is definitely a place where you could stay comfortably for a much longer period of time. We didn't use the kitchen, but I'm inherently nosy and peeked in all the cabinets and drawers to find it beautifully stocked. You could definitely use it for just about anything if you got tired of going out to eat. There is also a full sized fridge/freezer and we saw two grills on the property.

We had a 1 BR apartment (two of us, couple) and the size was just right. The living area was a very decent size with the seating, tv, kitchen and dining table and we never felt on top of each other or crowded. The bedroom was also a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was GREAT. I loved that each room had a ceiling fan, made keeping it cool a lot easier than just depending on an A/C unit. It was also extremely clean, which is always a plus!

I think this would be a great place to have a group trip.

The location is absolutely fantastic. You are right on the beach and it is a beautiful one. There is also a lifeguard stand right there. It is a short walk to the boardwalk, which was really nice. It was great being so close but also not being on the boardwalk itself, it was nice to be able to 'go home' and get away from the crowd and noise. You can either walk on the sidewalks and boardwalk itself, or the beach.

We will definitely be back and for a longer stay; this inn is a great find and we intend to take full advantage of it just as soon as we can.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We are so happy that your experience at the Manta Ray Inn was pleasant and totally agree that the area is great!!! The broadwalk is a wonderful place and you are right that this is a perfect place to have a group get-together!!! We actually strive to make each experience at the Inn be wonderful and we do strive for excellence. Cannot wait two see you again and please stay in touch as you are now part of the Manta Ray family!!!!! See you soon.
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived late at Hollywood (coming from Miami Beach) and having passed all the ugly skyscraper hotels of Miami Beach, the Manta Ray Inn was like a refuge. Despite the late hour, Donna, the Inn-Keeper, drove to the Inn to welcome us, and gave us a bottle of red wine a welcome present. Our room, which was perfectly clean, was basically a full-featured apartment directly facing the beach. Using one of the two gas grills on the "front porch" of the Manta Ray Inn we even had a nice BBQ one night looking at the stars and hearing the sound of the waves in the background. On our day of departure, Donna was very helpful and let us use the office's shower even after we have checked out, which enabled us to enjoy one more day at the beach without any hazzle, since our plane departed am 7pm.

All in all I can only say that being situated right at the beach of Hollywood but a little bit (walking distance) off the Hollywood Broadwalk makes the Manta Ray Inn the perfect place for a laid-back beach vacation in a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
It was such a pleasure to meet two weary travelers and be able to accommodate them after a very long trip and disappointed that the national park was shut down. Their loss was our gain and I am so happy to have met the two of you and cannot wait for you to come back and stay with us again. Please always keep in touch as you are now part of our Manta Ray Inn family!!! Yes, directly on the beach is just the ticket for relaxation!
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at the Manta Ray Inn last March and thoroughly enjoyed it! If you want location, location, location, this is it! It's directly on the beach and just a short walk to the Boardwalk. The owners and staff are simply fantastic and very friendly. There are 12 apartments (with full kitchen) which are serviced every day, so it's always clean. You are welcome to use the BBQs on site and they have tables if you wish to eat outdoors. We met some very nice people during our stay. We enjoyed it so much that we're going back in 2014 - can't wait!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Having you return to the Manta Ray Inn is such a gift to us. The staff were excited to see you again and I have shared your review with them to know how well they have done in "exceeding your expectations". 2014 is right around the corner and we will be happy to have another part of our little Manta Ray Inn family return but i the mean time please keep in touch with us!!

Been to Manta Ray Inn? Share your experiences!