“Coca Cola Ribs that Drip Off The Bone.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lola's on Harrison is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 491 Restaurants in Hollywood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 21st Ave
Miami Beach, Florida
“Coca Cola Ribs that Drip Off The Bone.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Cozy local restaurant in the heart of this little suburban beach town.

Peering over the short but diverse menu:What should one order?

Surprising short answer: The ribs.

If you are here only once, and are not a pescatarian or a vegetarian, the absolute must of a decadent dish are the ribs with the Coca-Cola barbecue sauce. I know. For some it may sound like a sacrilegious abomination of a southern American classic: Soda pop in barbecue sauce?

" It is what pays my salary," the waiter laughs me when I ask him about the dish.

The meat, almost a cliche, is so tender that it falls, no drips, off the bone. Delectable.

But the sweet Coca Cola sauce is what makes it notable and a memorable plate which alone is worthy of a return to this small & hip little restaurant.

Sweetness. Sumptuous. Suprising--Words that popped into my mind just about the time when I eschewed my utensils and began to eat the ribs with my fingers ( the way most Americans probably do when they get a outstanding plate ribs ).

" If no one else was here, I would pick up this plate and lick it,
" I tell the worker bussing our tables, who laughs, as she picks up our empty plates at the end of the meal.

I do wish that for $29 a plate one would get a few ribs more but still a worthy meal.

The Key Lime pie was tasty also. Bitter, tart but balanced with
a soft and sweet aftertaste. Like a over ripe lemon.

Only item which unfortuntely disappointed us? A side order of rice we ordered ,was bland and could have used added seasoning, or something to add flavor. Anything really. Even salt and pepper.

But again, if you go, try those ribs!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Aventura, Florida, United States
“Very good gnocchi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The gnocchi is very good. The BBQ with coca-cola looks good, but it is too sweet for my taste. It is definitely a good place to go.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
hollywood
“A good dining option in Hollywood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The new chef owner has kept most of the same menu items and preparations. Best deal and introduction is to try happy hour at the bar, until 8 p.m. for discounted wines, drinks and small plates. There is a large selection of beers and an interesting wine list. I read reviews from some people complaining about prices, which I never quite understand because you can go online and look and the menu.. If you don't like the prices, don't go.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hollywood
“I wish it was better...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I keep trying this place and wanting to like it but somehow I always feel it falls short of my expectations. The service is pretty good, the atmosphere is pretty, and the wine list is good but the food just doesn't impress me. I have eaten here at least 6 times with large groups, small groups and as a couple so I think I have given it more than a fair chance. After a 2 year hiatus I tried it again and the menu had barely changed, and the dishes we ordered did not taste as good as they did 2 years before. It's a little sad because I want a restaurant of this "calibre" in my neighborhood. This just isn't the right Romeo for this Juliet!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“New Owners fill big shoes...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Chef Michael left a gastronomic void when he sold Lola's. We went unknowing the sale as it was rather recent and sudden. To our delight, one of our favorites, the Coca-Cola Ribs where still on the menu and just as sumptuous. The appetizers of the Mussels and the Salmon Tartar were also excellent. Found some failure in the vegetables being bland and over cooked. My veal could have used the special spices but when you have a new chef, you have to give him the chance. Excellent service with an attentive staff. Note to new owner....say hello to each table...it will be meaningful.

• Visited July 2013