“Back to the Good Old Days” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Downs and the Bougainvillea

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hollywood
Sea Downs and the Bougainvillea
Save Saved
You added Sea Downs and the Bougainvillea to your Saves list
2900 N. Surf Rd., Hollywood, FL 33019-3704   |
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Raymore
“Back to the Good Old Days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

This was our first time on the Broadwalk....and at the Sea Downs.....we were very pleased with our pick of lodging which was targeted at finding a quiet clean location right on the Broadwalk. It was well located for all needs. We had a one bedroom apartment right on the first floor front. Large picture window in the bedroom and living room looked right out at the beach. Oceans Eleven, restaurant, was half a block away with convenience store beside it. The Marriott is a short block away where you can catch the trolley, $1 each for all day use, and ride into Hollywood Beach for better restaurants, etc. This is not the Marriott but it is a great location...the staff provides the services needed, but no extras. It is exactly what we wanted and we will go back. It is a classic experience...a national treasure. All the other guests were friendly and have been coming there for as much as 39 years...wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
southport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

sometimes holidays dont go according to plan, I sincerely hope your does. Can you image knowing the vast area of FL how it would be without a car, a working credit card and only $145.00 in your purse? well after an 18hr traveling time this nightmare was the start to my family holiday when my husband couldnt find his driving license and our American plastic card didnt work. taxi fares rapidly ate into my petty cash and with no access to the internet crying outloud seemed one way of dealing with it. The owners were made aware when we arrived of our plight (and we didnt have their CASH- as mentioned it another trip advisor comments) they said get some sleep and gave us the impression they would help us sort it out in the morning. when morning came and I didnt have enough to buy my family breakfast and the ATM still didnt work I had to get to my bank branch asap and needed access online to sort out driving lic.and prolong car hire etc. Although the owners a German husband and wife were not unpleasant, they were not really helpful either:- they have a phone-but no i couldnt use it. they had a car-but no they were not going to drive me one way to the bank, more of my dwindling $ on a taxi... they had the internet -but not i couldnt use that either.
Like i said none of my plight was their fault-but they could see how upset I and my children were and they were unhelpful, no empathy and cold even.
Eventually the wonderfull staff at the bank sorted my account out and we had a card that worked with an ATM and 5 days later we got another car hire (our previous hire had expired by thenas we couldnt get online-this area does not have internet cafes).
As for the bougainvillea itself we were not told that while we were staying there would be very noisey ground work happening. Outside our door we were greeted with the bins and builders rubble and if you stay in the bougainvillea your small pool is housed next to the road and a car park surrounded by a fence-hense no view of sea boardwalk only sky -but it is very warm. we asked if we could use the pool for the Tides next to the boardwalk and were told 'your pool is the smaller one'.
In the apartment the bins are emptied but the beds are never made up (unlike other apartments we have used) and even though we requested all beds to be single and not doubles- they were only made up and issued with single bedding on the 3rd day.
We later went on our cruise and then it felt like our holiday had begun. When we came back we used another boardwalk apartment which was better and you get lots of little extras-the boardwalk is lined with them.
We travel a LOT to Florida -nence the USA bank a/c and unlike other apartements we have stayed in this apartment was adequate but what let it down were the staff. And the word of caution dont QUESTION Gwen, she gets a bit testy....

• Liked — The Large open planning living area downstairs
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

The Sea Downs was a wonderful place for us to stay on our trip to Hollywood!

It was very clean and comfortable. A great location facing the boardwalk and beach! Very informative and friendly staff. Would recommend to friends and family.

We will stay again when we go back to Hollywood.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

We had stayed in Hollywood in 2007 at the Marriott, before and after a cruise, and while the larger hotel was really nice, it wasn't homey and relaxing enough for a longer stay. While we were there we took pictures of some of the different beach front motels (and I do mean beach front), and checked reviews when we got home. Of all of the ones we were interested in the Sea Downs looked like the best choice for us. And boy, was it! It was just my husband of 26 years and me, so we only needed a studio, which turned out to be perfect. It was 1 large room with a king sized bed, large closet, chest of drawers, 2 large cushioned rattan chairs and an end table, a bathroom with tub/shower, sink and commode, and a small, but nice kitchenette, complete with a small kitchen table, stove, refrigerator, microwave, toaster & coffeemaker. There were plates, silver, glasses and coffee cups for 4, and pots and pans. It was exactly what we wanted and needed. You can't beat the view or the access to the beach, and the fact that you're far enough away from most of the crowds, yet close enough to walk to the busier area is absolutely the best. The staff was so friendly and all of the guests were easy going and approachable. The mix of guests was pretty much German and American. We had the sweetest German couple in the room nest to us! There were on week 4, of a 5 week stay, and stay at the Sea Downs every year.

• Liked — Room and beach access.
  • Disliked — Noisy air comditioner, but not enough to make a difference.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cold, nasty Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

I stayed at the Sea Downs, and from reading other reviews of this motel and location on the broadwalk, I was already excited before I even got there. And then, when I arrived, it was even better than I had imagined. It was unbelievable to me to be able to have a room RIGHT ON THE BEACH, and for such a reasonable price! The room was clean and comfortable. The view was fantastic. The atmosphere of the motel was warm and friendly. It was fun to talk to the other visitors as we all sat out on the patio watching the waves and the people on the broadwalk. For me, a beach-loving person, this motel and the location was paradise!

One thing I want to mention is how nice the broadwalk is. There is so much to see and do. One very fun thing for me was the concerts at the beach ampitheater in the evenings. The music was great (oldies but goodies), and I had a lot of fun dancing and singing along!

What a gem this motel is!! With so many of the other facilities along the broadwalk changlng to expensive condos, I hope and pray that the owners keep the Sea Downs just as it is - - a warm and friendly motel!

I will definitely be going back, I can't wait!!

Bonnie Doyle

• Liked — It was right on the beach!
  • Disliked — Nothing, everything was great.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ocala, Fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

From all of the previous reviews of this site my family and I were prepared for a great time at a 'nice' hotel. Although not filthy, the room we were in was in need of a professional makeover/update. The view was a million dollars which over came most of our disappointments and we think the mngmt. knows this (thus the lack of maintenance). Curious that they have a gladly accept all major credit card sign on the lobby windows but when I checked in they said one must pay cash in advance ... I don't know about you but who in their right mind would hold that kind of cash...I'm guarding against a smart cookie who knows the 'house cash only' policy. Other than that the stay is pleasant and the guests were sweet.
One suggestion to the hotel, giving a room 10 small hand towels is not linen service...they said they don't have bath towels so bring some of your own..
To management, please clean your grill.
Don't have someone visit your room for even 10 minutes or you will incur a $20 per person charge

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — outdated and noisy a/c
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Recently spent a 4 day weekend at the SEA DOWNS and were very pleased with our accommodations and location right on the Hollywood Broadwalk. We had an oceanfront view..Very Nice!!

Things to know... The proprietors do not accept credit card reservations and either require cash or check deposit ($200 min) or full amount depending on arrival date... Leave your computer at home. There is dataport access, but it's dial up, so don't bother. We stayed in a one bedroom apt/suite which allowed us to cook all of our meals with full stove/oven, regular sized fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and kitchen utensils... Maid service daily except on Sundays... $10 deposit per Beach towel, so bring your own if you wish.... There is a small but very clean pool behind the hotel... Also, one car allowed per room.....

The room was very clean and the location was great! It was very quiet so we were able to relax. All rooms are non-smoking, but there is ample room outside available for smokers. The owners live on the property, so they have a full view of what is going on - very nice! The patrons were mostly middle aged or above as there is not much for kids to do except the beach.. Would recommend The Tides which is a sister property next door with a larger pool and beach access if you have younger children.

Rated the property as above average only because there is no onsite dining, no WiFi and limited cable TV channels.... For us, this place is excellent since we usually travel to Naples, Florida for this kind of R & R. We live in Miami, soooo we have a new retreat much closer to home.

We tried Giorgio's on A1A ( about 1 mile south)for breakfast and lunch - great bakery as well- which was pretty good. A block away is a locals bar and grill called Ocean's Eleven with good food, sports on TV and friendly staff. They also have a mini mart adjacent to the restaurant.

Back to the SEA DOWNS!! Great place..... Great Value(Marriott is much more expensive for a name).... Great Location!!

• Liked — Location and Suite/Apartment
  • Disliked — No WIFI access...I live with my computer, lol...
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sea Downs and the Bougainvillea? Share your experiences!