“Paradise on a Budget” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel

You added Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel to your Saves list
Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Ocean Drive, Hollywood, FL 33019 (Formerly Ramada Hollywood Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #55 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
Toronto
“Paradise on a Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My girlfriend and I recently spent ten days at the Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel at 101 North Ocean Drive. Generally we enjoyed ourselves. We had a complementary shuttle from the airport to the hotel and took about ten minutes to call. The driver was very knowledgeable about the area and different "Happy Hours" that took place from 4-7. Our room was small, approximately 350 square feet, and it included a large size fridge, microwave, a hotplate, cutlery and plates for four people. Our room this time had no safety deposit box, although we were told when we checked out, they could have brought a box in. We also had to pay a tax for beach towels, use of the pool, and other incidentals. This was our second time staying at this semi renovated hotel. Our view looked out at the waterway, with practically no view. Since we had planned on staying at this hotel, we brought down cereal, condiments, a few cans of meat etc, plus a few snacks to get us going. There was a small market just outside the hotel called Geoge's food., We felt very secure in the hotel as one needed a special pass key to get to the elevators, another one for our room, and one key for the pool and gym. When I did not have the right key and she had recognized me, they said "sir, we don't make the rules". . The highlight of the hotel was the lovely pool and the beach just steps away. They now have "non smoking" at the pool area. There were hundreds of bars and restaurants to choose from for lunch and dinner, all within walking distance. The amazing boardwalk stretched easily five miles. Our favorite bar during "happy hour" was bar 101 (located just outside the hotel) and G G's (across the street) quite upscale with many yachts stopping there. We also took the "water taxi" to downtown Fort Lauderdale, about $20 return. The guide informed us about the many beautiful houses, including Sonny & Cher , famous golfers, etc. Take your camera. We actually found we didn't need a car during our stay. They also had a trolley on Ocean Drive, but we were informed that it is not working on Mondays and Tuesday. We actually took the trolley to Walmart (both clothing and groceries). It was a short walk over the bridge to get to it. The trolley does not go direct to it. There is also a Publix about a twenty minute walk. We took the local bus (senior ticket is 95 cents.)There is a live music bandshell on the boardwalk just north on the boardwalk, just opposite the newest hotel and complex called "Jimmy Buffets Margariteville" . It will open in September and looks awesome. They also have a organic food area called "Josh's, just south of the hotel on the beach. This food market is only open on Sunday, but go early afternoons for the best bargains as food goes on half price or less. I am a little nervous on driving in foreign countries so we did not need a car. If I was in my twenty's or older and wanted to go to some new night clubs in Ft. Lauderdale, I would have had rented a car. Parking at the hotel is about $20 a day, more if you use the conciege. We got the conceige at the hotel to drive us back to the airport and I think we tipped about eight dollars. Generally we had a good time, and would go back. but probably go to the new hotel "Jimmy Buffets Margaritivaille" or pay extra for a ocean view at the hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are ideal for long stays
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Rooms: half of the hotel is manage by the hotel and the other half by a management company which you can't check in at the lobby you have to go to a different place, all rooms are decorated and downgraded differently it will take you five rooms changes to move into one with at least a clean bathroom please check pictures.
Pool: there is no music or food allow in the pool only water the only employee by the pool is a uniformed security guard checking your bags when you go in and keeping an eye on you like a prison guard and the towels you have to get them at the lobby a ten minute walk away.
Grounds: should be demolish!
Good: close to the beach but they are so many options on the hollywood boardwalk is not even a positive they even charge for parking

Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends
Longueuil, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were back from a cruise... A1 service and looks. And we end up in this old terrible looking hotel. Lets say that the room was great but the "hotel lobby" scared us. In reality, this 1920 hotel turned into time sharing condos was left to itself, the owners never invested in the property itself. And it shows. Sorry, I would never return.

Room Tip: So many other places to stay. Don't bother.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is the same place as the historical Hollywood beach hotel.. They have different managers. I don't know what the fuss is about this being horrible. Its got a greet pool and its on the beach. Don't get your hopes up about a free breakfast because yo will get a cold bagel and that's it..FYI

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beware. My husband and I booked a hotel with EXPEDIA (Hollywood Beach Hotel, in Fort Lauderdale Fl.) Upon booking the hotel the EXPEDIA Rep. tells me there will be a one time accommendation fee of $10.00 due at check out.  and that the hotel provides a courtesy shuttle bus to pick us up at the airport and drop us off at the airport when checking out.  Upon arriving at the airport, I was told by the hotel to call the conceige at the hotel....well this is when the nightmare begins.  I call the hotel, spoke with the person that was to pick us up, I couldnt understand anything he was telling me, I told him I didnt know what direction I was to go.  He spoke so fast, I told him I couldnt hear him well. He was irritated, rude and harsh.  After he adruptly hung up I  began to think, omg, what did I get myself into, was every worker in that hotel the same.  When he picked me up I ask him if he was the one I spoke to on the phone...he answered yes.  I told him he was very rude, well guess what, it turned out to be that he was  "the head conceige"...I wasnt thrilled., especially after his nasty treatment over the phone.  Upon arriving at the hotel, we went to register.  Now the front desk was also very unfriendly....well I was right from the start, beginning with the head conceige.  The girl registering us says we are to pay $40.00 for the 4 nights for  hotel accomendations (I wonder what accomendations...rudeness)....I stated that EXPEDIA told me when I booked the hotel it was to be $10.00 at checkout. I argued the point but she said EXPEDIA misinformed me...now she also adds that we are to put down $100.00 for a retainment and  we will get it back at the end of our stay.  SOMETHING ELSE EXPEDIA failed to mention.  We had no choice but to pay, after all it was our first day of vacation.

So now when entering the room....it was NOTHING like the photo online at the time I booked it with EXPEDIA.  I  asked the rep. at EXPEDIA if the photo of the room I was seeing was the exact one we were getting....he said YES.  This room had no blankets or bed spread on the bed. The vertical blinds were missing quite a bit the panels AND the air conditioner was one of those with a giant hose that is installed through the window and the machine was kept between the two beds which was loud as hell.    I had to turn it off in order to sleep.  OH,  I had to put a safety pin on the curtains in order to keep them closed which by the way are regular curtains...no blackout curtains...so that no light comes in in the morning...thats a laugh because these shinsy curtains were transparent. At least they covered those horrible missing panel vertical blinds. So anyway,  I went down to the front desk and complained but they all seemed like "who cares"....It's as if we were not the first victims and they've heard it all before.  I told them I was disappointed in the room and requested another room...their  answer was thats the room I booked.  THEY WERE NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.  They never even called the manager, which if he was a real manager, he would've called me on my room phone to at least apoIogise or try to compensate for the mess. By the way this managers' name is Miguel.  I called EXPEDIA ALL DAY THAT DAY....I kept asking for a supervisor. They kept me on hold for 40 minutes 2X, the other 2X I was disconnected and no one called me back. SO BEWARE OF EXPEDIA AND THIS HORRIBLE HOTEL which reminds me of that movie "The Shining." It smells stale and of old dirty rugs and old syrup.  Doesn't smell clean AT ALL. Going out on the boardwalk at night is not a good idea, nothing but a bunch of bums hanging out.

Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I have been staying here for over 10 years on July 4th. This year from the moment that I walked in, it was pure dissapointment.... Monica the front desk manager is by far the rudest person I have ever had to deal with in my entire life... the hotel was "overbooked" and they did not reserve my room, by the time I checked in the only option I had was to settle for a 1 bed studio and an air mattress for my children, either that or a refund. The air mattress had a hole in it, the kitchen did not work properly, the air condition was broken, and apparently has been for a while now, the rooms were dirty and had a yuckie motel feel, the pool was hot and dirty, not to mention the vallet parking rapes you even if your a guest at the hotel... $50 parking until 12am... but the worst part was the staff treating the customers very rude, unprofessional and as if any request was just a bother. From the front desk, to the maintenance crew, security, the bell boys and those damn cleaning ladies... theres no one nice there. Sad to say that I will be breaking my july 4th tradition, but I will never be going back there. To the new owners, please get rid of all the staff there and find a better management group to run the hotel correctly before they run it to the ground. $1,000 for a weekend of hell

Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had an ocean view room, which was very nice. The room itself was very nice, but the rest of the hotel (halls, lobby and shops) are very rundown and half are deserted. The pool is well kept and the view is lovely of the ocean. The hotel is well situated and there are lots of restaurants to chose from and the trolley stops almost in front of the hotel. The breakfast offered with the room is simple and the coffee is horrible. There is a nice little cafe, privately run near the lobby and the coffee, muffins and snacks are delicious and worth paying a few dollars for I would stay there, again, as an inexpensive getaway and know that I am not expecting luxury, but a simple vacation on the beach for not a lot of money.

Room Tip: Ask for water view
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family