“They would have to pay me and then I would think twice about returning.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel to your Saves list
Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Ocean Drive, Hollywood, FL 33019 (Formerly Ramada Hollywood Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #59 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Lafayette, Indiana
“They would have to pay me and then I would think twice about returning.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 3/1-3/3/2013. This hotel website shows a picturesque 1920's vintage hotel. Ideal for a weekend vacation on the beach. My two friends and I were looking forward to spending a few days together at this hotel for a short "girl friends" weekend. The weather was not in our favor but if the hotel and its management had lived up to its advertising and word, the weekend would have been good anyway. To start my friends adult son spent about an hour in Jan. with one of the hotel managers, looking at rooms to pick a room that was appropriate for 3 adult women to stay (especially at $250+ per night). He was told a specific room would be held and my friend made a reservation specifying this room number. The hotel charged her card for the 1st immediately on the day the reservation was made and charged her for the second night before we checked in on the1st of Mar. They pulled a "bait and switch" on us. Told us the room we had reserved was not available and tried to give us a room with a king bed for the three of us to share. They then gave us a room w/2 queen beds and a hide-a-bed. This room smelled awful (they had to come in and bleach the bathroom to get the smell out), bathroom lights and bedroom lights were burned out (maintenance did come up and fix the bedroom lamp but we were told the bathroom fixture was the last one of that type in the hotel and they didn't have anymore bulbs like that-fortunately there was still a couple of bulbs that still worked). We had to call down for towels because we only had 2 sets - we were told they would "have to see if they could find some." They finally agreed to reduce the price of the room by $100 per night (which meant that we still were paying $152/night for a room that would put an ecomomy hotel to shame). The sheers in the bedroom were riped and torn and our view was an access road and roof when we were promised an ocean view. Our second day the maid service came in, emptied the trash, and took the dirty towels - did not return to make the beds and we never received new towels. Once again we called the front desk to request towels and were told that they would have to see if they had any!!!! Please remember that this is a $252/night hotel room!! Eventually, after another call and trip to the front desk, we got enough wash clothes and towels to shower the next morning. There was one service person (a young man who made sure someone came in to clean the bathroom when it smell so bad) that was pleasant and appropriately polite and customer oriented. The front desk staff was rude and full of excuses for their poor service and deceptive sales tactics. We found out late in our visit that there are 2 management companies working in this hotel (one for the permanent residents and the other for hotel guests). These two companies need to get their act together and remember that they are in the business of serving the people who are paying their salaries. I have told everyone I know about this poor excuse for a hotel and will never (and I say that rarely) return there. I have traveled a great deal and this is not a place I would ever recommend. I will say the my girls friends and I had a decent weekend but it had to do with the fact the Hollywood Florida has many great places to visit and shop and my girlfriends and I always enjoy each others company.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry W, General Manager at Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest. The Historic Hollywood Beach Resort is under new management since 04/02/2013 we will make sure that the problems will be addressed properly . Please feel free to contact me during your future trips because I want to make sure that I take care personally of you and your stay . I have attached below my contact information for your convenience. Thanks again

561 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We live locally (parents and two kids) and wanted to do a four night "staycation" down on Hollywood Beach during the kids' spring break. We decided just a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't find any of the places we had researched before that had a one bedroom room that were available. This was the last place on our list.
Two friends of mine stayed here about 5 years ago and I remember the hotel being a bit run down and shabby, but their one bedroom suite was big. And we like having the extra room and some privacy when staying with the kids, so we figured "let's go for it." We booked a one bedroom oceanview room.
The night before I logged onto the computer to get the phone # to confirm the reservation, and pulled up the trip advisor site and read all of the horrible reviews.Oh my, I thought, what are we getting into? When I called to confirm the resy, I asked the woman if we were going to have any trouble getting our room. She pleasantly reassured me that we had a nice room awaiting us.
We arrived to unload the car, and found the employees helpful and cheerful. Checking in was no problem, though I was not thrilled to have to pay $15 to park the car per day. We got a room on the 8th floor (turns out to be the penthouse). When we stepped off the elevator, the hallway reeked of cigarettes and had not been renovated. It looked old and rundown. But when we walked into our room, all was forgotten as it was decently renovated (though with lots of imperfections), with a nice size bedroom and living room, plus one full bathroom and one powder room. The kitchen area had a microwave, full size fridge, and sink (but no stove or oven). There were two huge windows looking out onto the ocean and beneath us the pool. What a magnificent view. You could still smell the smoke of the hallway, but it was not nearly as bad. We purchased some incense from the kiosk downstairs and it made the smell bearable.
Like I said, the room was not perfect. The pullout couch was so uncomfortable that our 10 year old chose to sleep in a chair instead. We finally padded it with blankets and towels to make it bearable. Their was a small hole in the window, so there was always a small breeze coming in. The heat did not work, and the first night was a bit chilly,. We called down to housekeeping for more blankets, and they brought us up one. There were lots of imperfections, but overall the room was suitable,
We didn't have much interaction with staff, but besides housekeeping I found everyone friendly and professional, from the shift supervisor, to the front desk staff, to the parking guy, to the pool attendant, to the waitresses at our free breakfast.
One day housekeeping didn't come at all to make up our room, and another day she came at 4:30, right when we came back from a long day at the beach and pool.
The free breakfast was more than adequate, and a bit nicer than a hampton Inn. The pool was quite nice, clean, heated, with a hot tub, And the beach is wide and clean and beautiful. The convenience store inside the hotel was quite useful. We ate three meals at the wonderful Jimmy Max's underneath. And the location is very good - at the south end of the all the action of the Hollywood Broadwalk. Close by are my favorite two restaurants on Hollywood Beach, Sugar Reef and Sushi-Thai.
This is a magnificent old building, almost a hundred years old. I enjoyed looking at the pictures situated through out the hotel showing it "back in the day." As in "back in the day" before it was run down. I guess if they really did a massive rehab this again could be a grand old property, but with the size, age, and the fact that many of the units are condos probably precludes this from ever coming back to being a nice property.
I wouldn't stay here again, but we still had a great time. I found the location to be great, the staff (besides housekeeping) accommodating, but the smell of our hallway a deal killer.

Toronto Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have been trying to decide what to say about this hote property. We book this hotel back in Sept 2012 . It was our day in Hollywood Beach to enjoy with our large family group before going on our long awaited cruise on the ALLURE. Very excited to kick off our day at Hollywood Beach and walk the boardwalk. Seek out the shops and resturants which we did once we got over our frustration and disapointment.
We stayed at this hote Feb 16th -17th. The area is beautiful, great location, the pool areas are nice and the building itself is not too bad. Its OLD and historic but that is what makes it unique and interesting.
Rooms are very DATED and the shower/tubs .... OLD and kind of scummy. We did not notice any bad smells thank god . Some rooms did not have pillows or blankets. The Front desk Unorganzied and untrained.. We had a problem right from the get go. We were told that the hotel had overbooked and that part of our family group was going to be shuttled to another hotel by the airport where we just came from. We said straight out NOT HAPPENING and that the hotel staff had to fix this. We booked WAY in advance and we were a large family group and not separating. The hotel staff were KIDS, disorganzied and not trained in our opinion to work a busy front desk of a popular tourist destination. Some of us spent two hours in the lobby sorting this out. We ended up having to share rooms as some of the rooms had pull our couches. They would not reimburse our credit cards said it had to be done with our travel agent. Needless to say the pull out couches were horrible, those that slept on them got NO SLEEP. It has taken us a while since returning home to get our money back but we have. There was a lot of frsutration and anger but it was a beautiful day in Ft Lauderdale and we did not want this to ruin our day/evening before catching the ship the next day. When all was said and done we had a lovely lunch on a terrace that over looks the pool and boardwalk and ocean and we had a great time. We enjoyed a lovely dinner on the boardwalk later that evening . This hotel needs lots of work, it can keep its charm but it needs a TOTAL OVERHAUL. Needs tender loving care and its a shame it does not get it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jerry W, General Manager at Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013

ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place is a dump! The hotel smells of rotten smoke! Our room was full of mold,the bathroom ceiling leaked. We had a lamp and alarm clock but no outlet to plug it in.We had no coffee maker or phone in our room. The only good thing about this place is the pool but you have to pay a dollar for the mat and they will only hold your chair for 2 hours so don't go anywhere far for lunch. You have to eat out for all of your meals because you cant stand to eat in your room from the smell of must and mold! If you end up eating in your room, well you can sit on the bed and cook your meals the rooms are so tiny. Hotel staff are very rude! I would never stay here again if you paid me! 10 dollar a day resort fee and 15 dollars a day to park.Oh and they also got rid of the free breakfast.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jerry W, General Manager at Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest.

The Historic Hollywood Beach Resort is under new management since 04/02/2013 we will make sure that the problems will be addressed properly . Please feel free to contact me during your future trips because I want to make sure that I take care personally of you and your stay . I have attached below my contact information for your convenience. Please Remember that there is other companies renting rooms here and promising you the world. Thanks again..

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is my 3rd year coming to this hotel. Can't say enough about the service and treatment I get from all the staff here. With some of the changes taking place with this property the staff have had to endure some challenges from the guests. However, I treat them how I like to be treated and each and every time i stay here my room seems to get better. This hotel is full of character but may not have the latest and greatest of some of world traveller expectations. The rooms are constantly being updated but the property is maintaining the grand old look in the right places. Thank you all front desk staff, to name a few, Danny, Connie, Lena, Sergio, Hortese, Winsome, and Jennifer. Oliver, as always excellent service. Bill welcome, goo job. Maintenance crew, and housekeeping excellent at your jobs, thank you. Kristy you are the best.

Hoping to see you all next year. Love from Niagara, Canada.

Room Tip: Be specific, view and room may not be same. Some rooms without the best view are the best. Some ro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Yes a big difference and with lots of tender loving care. We are back in the top mix of hotels in Hollywood Beach. Sounds like you had a fabulous time and it was a pleasure to have you as our guests from your arrival to departure and l am so happy you had the pleasure to encounter every member of staff to make your vacation wonderful !!! Please let your friends know and Let me know always your concerns. My office and staff is always here for our guest NOW and FUTURE. A very warm thank you for your nice review and from all of us … Hurry Back.....
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Well my wife and I stayed there for a couple of days prior to our cruise. We arrived to the hotel in our car and when walking to the hotel we couldn't help but wonder with the smellof urine...great first impression.
Did the check in and then walked into the hotel...it looked more like a hostel...homeless people sitting in the main lobby...dated...dirty.
We got top our room and were stunned...a little bit bigger than cabin on the cruise ship and extreamely run down.
We immediately went back down to the desk and asked for a different room...and were told "oh we downgraded you and we're full so we can't help you"...no offer to refund the difference or anything. Wanted to cancel the room and get a refund and excuse after excuse as to why they can't do that...pathetic excuse for a hotel for sure.
Due to the timing we were unable to find another room that wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg so we stayed out of this place as much as possible until bedtime.
Just have to say...stay away from this dump...

Room Tip: Avoid this place...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerry W, Manager at Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

fear factor style size cock roaches in the bathroom, dust on the celing fan about an inch think, air vents are soooo dusty and crusty, the patio furniture is contaminated with food residue.
the customer service sucks, the manager Jennifer is really bad, needs to take a customer service course. If she smiles her face will crack. very rude and unpleasant. i would never recommend this hotel to anyone who is clean. Its unfortunate the place is a dump and so is the staff.

Jerrywalker19@gmail.com

Been to Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port Hotel? Share your experiences!