“Old Style Florida Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Inn
3405 North Ocean Drive, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
South Florida
“Old Style Florida Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I just stayed for 3 nights for the second time. I have an annual convention in Ft Lauderdale and don't particularly care for the big hotels. This place is about a 20 minute drive south of the convention center and the main Ft Lauderdale beach strip.
It was quite cold in South Florida during my stay (by a Floridian's standards) and they do not have heat. But they had 2 warm blankets and having stayed there last January, I brought warm clothes so I was fine.
This place is similar to many high rated places on Trip Advisors -- it is not luxurious, it won't stay in your memories as wonderful, but it is a good solid value. It is one of the last small motels on the oceanside of Ocean Drive in that area. They have kept the place up and have several charming extras that show this place is well cared for. It is clean and honestly represented on their website. Both years I booked a queen studio and it is spacious. I have slept on a waterbed for many years so I really have trouble sleeping in hard beds. This one was as good as it gets away from home. Even the pillow was great. The shower was hot with good pressure.The kitchen (with full size fridge) is well stocked. One odd thing is the microwave is on top of the refrigerator so I had to stand on a chair to use it. They did have a sturdy chair right next to the fridge for my use. I was on the second floor and enjoyed my semi- private balcony - well actually private since the one other room seemed unoccupied.
My only problem occurred last year. I had reserved online and then called them because one of my knees had been bothering me and requested a ground floor room. He said that would be fine. When January arrived my knee had gotten worse so I was glad I had called and wouldn't have to unload and carry everything up the stairs to the second floor. I arrived late and we had prearranged that they had taped an envelope to the office door for me. Sure enough they gave me the second floor and I had to haul all my convention stuff up the stairs. So if you can't climb stairs, you need to tell them more clearly then I guess I did that you must have a ground level room. Both years I never did see any staff as I left early and got back late.

All in all I will probably return again next year. They do have construction going on next door. The workers arrived around 7:30 or so but they were quiet both mornings at least until 8 when I left for the show.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Pelham, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is prob my 3rd review of this tiny little "old Florida" hotel, but they never disappoint. Do your research and set your expectations on what the Ocean Inn advertises. They are not fancy, but clean and very personable. I travel in this area for business. Sometimes my family will tag along and enjoy the beach while I work but sometimes I make the trip alone. I feel absolutely safe and secure. I will share my itinerary with Joe or Philip in the office and if I've not returned close to the appointed time they'll call my cell just to check on me. New owner/operated Veronica has spiffed up with some fresh paint. And I appreciate that she has continued the light breakfast, especially the muffins. This property is as advertised. Clean, tucked away, small and friendly. NOTE: the monster property next door (Positano) is expanding and construction noise is around daily. For me, it isn't an issue as I'm out during the day, but be sure to keep this in mind and ask about time line for construction to be complete. Lastly, I must mention Pilar, the housekeeper. Always friendly and helpful and will remember you if you're a return customer/guest. Give this place a try. Not ocean front but as close as you can get - actually closer than you'd be in one of the large hotel/condo complexes that claim ocean front.

Room Tip: I always try to get the larger rooms with the full size refrig and stove as I'll stay in at nigh...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Cape Cod
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We would like to preface our thoughts first by mentioning Joe and Philip, managers of Ocean Inn and Ocean Day villages owned by the same family. They could not have been more professional and helpful during our 2 day stay. Now for our thoughts.

When we booked Ocean Inn, all seemed to be so great, manager from Mass and it sounded so enticing. We had trouble flying out in Jan because of the cold, so we arrived 2 hours late. When we got to Ocean Inn, it was raining and raw. We found note tacked to the office door telling us that our room was open and key on desk and they would see us in morning. No one on duty after 5pm. Guess what? Door was locked, so we tried quite a few times calling the contact number left on door. Finally we got through to a lady who said she would be over in 15 minutes. We spent over an hour before this young woman came to let us in. She was very apologetic and seemed to me sincere. Clean room, small but fit our needs... Now the rest of the story. At about 6:30 we started to hear banging out side our window, now remember we got in late, dark and rainy. I opened the curtains and there 10 ft away were construction workers. Yup, building a new condo development which will be done in perhaps a year. Also in back of Ocean Inn is also a development being built. They work Mon-Sat...No way can you sleep beyond 6:30. If you plan to stay here remember 6:30 will be wake up call. We paid pretty good money for 2 nights. Joe the manager could not have been nicer and understanding. He contacted there sister facility about a mile away. We drove down and met Phil the manager. He showed us a refurbished room that was larger, clean and just what the doctor ordered. They both agreed that my deposit will be all I needed for these 2 nights for our inconvenience. Well that is the way it was left after we moved in. They called me later in the day as we were out shopping to tell us that the owner would not agree to that. Their hands were tied. Now this gets better. The owner was that young woman Veronica who met us the first night. She made us an offer which in my mind was not ever close to our inconvenience and lack of not revealing the construction. I was all set just out of principle to pack our bags to leave when we got back but upon persuasion from K we made an counter offer. Story gets better. Veronica would agree to the amount if We Did not write a review here on Tripadvisor, that's right, we are not to write about the construction and service. I agreed to the amount but not to writing here on Tripadvisor.

Now, I will tell you if you want a cute place to stay, have professional caring managers and are willing to put up with the construction then do stay at Ocean Inn, down the street is a quieter sister facility, Ocean Inn day Suites. Also we found some nice pubs and restaurant within walking distance.
T & K

Room Tip: If you do not mind lots of noise and wake up call (from construction 10 feet from Inn) at 6:30 and d...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Veronika A, General Manager at Ocean Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Capecod080,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay at the Ocean Inn. I am very sorry that you encountered so many challenges during your stay at our hotel.
The noisy part of the Positano Condos construction is over and we are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced due to the outside noise.

We did transfer you to our sister property and provided you a double upgrade with an extra discount for the inconvenience. Again, my apology that we were unable to exceed your expectations and we would like the opportunity to welcoming you back.

Best regards,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Tucked in a lovely space, Ocean Inn is a delightful surprise! The room was quiet, clean and comfortable. Joe and Phil were friendly and informative. Like they say 'outstanding hosts'. Hopefully, by the time we get back there the construction will be finished, but it didn't bother us cause we were at the beach all day which is just a few minutes away. Even though the garden was small, it was beautiful in sun or shade a restful and peaceful place. At night just sitting outside was wonderful after a day in the sun. The coffee in the morning is so good and having a breakfast waiting for you us is most welcome. We are will definitely go back!

Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The people who run this establishment are, as so many reviewers have remarked, outstanding hosts---courteous and helpful. In addition, the Inn is just 2 blocks from an outstanding beach and boardwalk.

But the rooms themselves are sub-par. The facility is tiny. The garden area that so many reviewers liked a lot is tiny as well. I measured it at roughly 30 feet by 30 feet.

Perhaps the general quality of options in Hollywood is thin such that the owners can profit even though they do not refurbish on a regular basis. I was part of a 2-room reservation. Hence, I can make statements about at least 2 of the rooms. One had a relatively new mattress; the other one had a mattress that is a threat to the well-being of all but very young backs,

The facility puzzles me because of its self-contradictions. It is very clean. SO why, if you care about cleanliness, as the owners clearly do, why would you have a room with a tattered rug in the floor that should have been discarded years ago, as well as unpainted chips in the wall and a blind that did not open and close unless one took ones fingers and opened or shut each individual blind?

I noticed that some reviewers said that the facility is no Hilton. True, it isn't, nor need it try to be. Yet there are certain things like paint and the bed that can be high quality while maintaining quaintness.

Room Tip: I would stay away from 14-16.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Veronika A, General Manager at Ocean Inn, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear CTProf,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I am very glad that you are satisfied with the service you received from our staff.
We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Best regards,

Veronika
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed for a few nights pre- and post cruise. The beds are getting old, but I understand that they are going to renew them. That would be great. As before, the staff is really friendly and helpful and they make you feel at home. Unfortunately there is construction next door. It's not terribly loud, but still...
I love the courtyard and the beach is only minutes away, which is lovely. We stayed in room 23 post cruise so that we had a kitchenette and fridge (with very few shelves intact). TV worked fine and the internet was fine in that room. Pre cruise we were in a smaller room and the internet didn't work in the room. But in the courtyard it worked fine.
All in all it's a very nice and friendly place, conveniently located. It's old, but clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Regina, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

One block to the beach and a short cab ride from the airport. We stayed one night prior to boarding our cruise out of Port Everglades and were pleased with our choice. Arrived very late to find a note on the front door welcoming us and instructing us to get up room.

There is a building being constructed beside the motel but despite the high level of activity we did not find it terribly loud. Something to be aware of though.

It's not the Hilton so don't expect that type of experience. That said, the staff was very friendly and the room very clean for its age.

Overall, we are very glad to have chosen this motel with all of its character and charm over a motel chain close to the airport for our short stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!