“great place with Tiki bar and beach out the front door” 5 of 5 stars

WalkAbout Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 North Surf Road, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Ranked #7 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Spokane, Washington
“great place with Tiki bar and beach out the front door”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

We just stayed here and it was fantastic. My whole family stayed there and we took up 6 of the rooms. Staff was great! Very clean hotel. It's an old-school Florida type of place. Nice tables in the courtyard area to have your breakfast, people watch or whatever.

I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 5 and 4 were my favorite rooms.
Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the walkabout for a week and cannot wait to go back. We travel to FL at least 6 times a year with his job and have stayed at many places, but this is by far the best place and will definatly be staying there again. The staff is very accomidating, rooms are immaculate, and hasan amazing view of the beach. Also, cant forget the great Tiki bar with the Pina Coladas!! I would highly reccomend WalkAbout Beach resort for anyone looking to have a perfect stay in Hollywood,FL.
Vanessa~ Boston MA

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kew Gardens, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We went there for a family vacation, as soon as I walked into the room (#7), I knew I made the right decision. It was so clean and welcoming, the pictures on the website just show a glimpse of what is really there. The view was unbelievable, breathtaking. My kids who are 3 and 6 years old just loved the live music and the freedom they had roaming the property. THE STAFF especially Sherry is what made this vacation complete. Will definately be back every year.

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Cromwell, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

The Walkabout Beach Resort is not a resort at all, but rather a hotel room. We stayed there for three nights, but I would never stay there again. The room was spacious enough for two people and was very clean. We did have a view of the ocean, although it was mostly blocked by the tiki bar. There is no fitness center, pool, or lounge chairs to relax in, just hard wooden chairs around the bar. There is no restaurant at the hotel; you have to go elsewhere for a cup of coffee. There was a refrigerator & microwave in the room, but no hair dryer, iron, or alarm clock. When we checked in, I went into an extra small office where a woman told me our room number and said the keys were in the room. When I asked her where the room was, she looked at me very strangely and told me down there. She ended up having to get the keys from another employee, since the room was locked otherwise we would have had to find our own way. Whenever I saw this person (who I believe was the owner) I truly felt like I was bothering her. She was the most unfriendly hotel person I have ever come in contact with; I never saw her smile once. She would occasionally wave while on the cell phone, but most of the time she totally ignored me. I would much rather have stayed somewhere that had a few amenities and a pleasant atmosphere. Also there are only four actual parking spaces, so be prepared to pay extra to park your car.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
gmk713, Manager at WalkAbout Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Customer,

We do not advertise the following: pool, fitness center, restaurant.

The person which your making reference to no longer works at our hotel, I apologize on her behalf.

We do offer complimentary parking at the Marriot garage which is next to our hotel.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

If you are looking for an intimate, cozy small hotel with an incredibly friendly and accommodating staff (thanks Tamara and Sheri, for taking such good care of us), this is it!

We stayed in #1 and loved it. The living area has a panoramic view of the ocean and the meanderings up and down the Broadwalk. The suite has spacious rooms, simply and beautifully decorated; comfortable bed with a down duvet; ample storage for organizing clothes, etc; well-stocked kitchen; plenty of bath linens provided - all the comforts of home you might need.

You walked out the door to the patio and awakened to a gorgeous sunrise- breakfast on the patio, cocktails on the patio, walks on the Broadwalk, strolls on the beach, dancing under the stars - it was a perfect vacation!

WE WILL RETURN!

PS. Weather was perfect, too - Jan 29 - Feb 3, 2011.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

We travelled all around South Florida between 9th December and we flew home to the UK on the 11th January. We stayed in an assortment of hotels ranging from the Trump Tower in Sunny Isles (Excellent) Casa Marina Resort in Key West West and also some cheaper hotels Hampton Inn in Islamorada Doubletree in Naples and by the far the Walkabout Resort in Hollywood Beach was the worst value by far - how it can ever call itself a resort is beyond me. Its just a hotel next to the beach with a very busy and loud Tike Bar which was right outside our room. I did not report my findings on this hotel immediately as I gave them the benefit of the doubt about the payment as we had booked via bookings.com before we got there after reading reports on Trip Advisor we had been staying at the Marriott at Delray Beach previously how we which we had stayed there now as for virtually the same money we stayed at the Hovel for 3 nights - I made it perfectly clear that we were not happy. No one even tried to clean or make the bed or change the towels the day after we got there as presumably it was a Sunday!! I am sorry when you pay top dollar I think you should get the service. It was dirty and felt like it needed a good scrub everywhere - even the tiled floor was greasy . The only thing in its favour is its location to the beach which is so close to the beach which was great as we just sat and relaxed on the beach all day - although the weekends are alot busier than in the week. I saw a picture of Hollywood Beach and the prom in a brochure and it looked lovely I am glad I went there just to get it out of my head - but the hotel next door to the walkabout is a Marriott and I would definitely stay there if I wanted to go again which I dont.
Just as an instance I mentioned there was no hairdryer - they told me there was one in the office - fat lot of good that is to me when I am trying to get ready and the only member of staff on duty is working on the very busy Tiki Bar outside - there is no reception nothing - an office - as we arrived early evening - as been on boat triup in Delray Beach - greeted with are you the folks from England. My partner was gutted and if we could have got our money back we would have moved on. But no it cost us £462.26 for 3 nights - compared to 3 nights at the Marriott in Delray which was £622.83 there was just no comparison.

So take heed before you book the walkabout resort in Hollywood go next door to the Marriott !!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights in a first floor one bedroom suite. The view was fantastic and tiki bar a nice touch. The rooms are well decorated in a Florida shabby chic kind of way and everything was quite clean. This is not the kind of place to stay if you are looking for an up-to-the-minute bathroom/kitchenette with marble and all the bells and whistles etc. But the location is wonderful and the management very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to WalkAbout Beach Resort? Share your experiences!