“GREAT SERVICE, Below par food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dunedin, Florida
“GREAT SERVICE, Below par food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We visited The German Restaurant for a new experience in the bay area and were disappointed by the food, except for one dish. By way of background, my wife is of German descent and had many German meals growing up. We know German food can be flavorful and has more to offer than just wurst. I get the opportunity to eat at domestic German restaurants when on travel. We were a party of 4 and ordered potato pancakes appetizer, and dinners of the German Sampler Platter, Cordon Bleu vom Haehnchen, Wiener Kalbs Schnitzel, and Haehnchengeschnetzeltes "Zuercher Art". Drinks were the Dunkel bier, house Riesling, ice tea, and soda. Desserts; Apple Strudel, Pears Helene,and Icee Kaffee for a total bill of ~ $160. Prices were fair; service was FANTASTIC, food disappointing. The ONLY dish that I would recommend is the Haehnchengeschnetzeltes "Zuercher Art". The mushroom cream sauce and tender chicken were wonderful. The Cordon Bleu Haehnchen and Weiner Kalbs Schnitzel were flavorless, as were the potato dumpling and spaetzle. And the "French fries" were tater tots! The sampler platter had Sauerbraten (no pickling flavor), roast pork (no roast flavor) smothered in different brown sauces - if it wasn't for the sauce there would be no flavor. The platter also had a pork schnitzel - again no flavor and too heavily breaded. The wurst was great, as was the red cabbage, sauerkraut and potato salad. I was concerned at the beginning when our potato pancake starter came out - it was made with frozen string potatoes like Denny's uses for breakfast. As for the deserts, the pears Helene were very good - excellent presentation and tasty, the Icee Kaffee was smooth, flavorful and unique. The Apple Strudel was smothered in a lemon sauce; it was soggy and flavorless. As for our drinks - all were good. The Dunkle Bier was outstanding and the house Riesling refreshing and crisp. As I said earlier - the service was fantastic. The staff was very courteous and attentive. The decor has a lot of German nic-naks at the table and throughout the restaurant giving it a nice German feel.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“New appreciation for German food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I had never really had the chance to try a full German meal, and thought this was a great first experience. Good food and cute restaurant. I will be going again.

Indianapolis, IN
“FANTASTIC German food. Essen!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My mom, born in Germany, and my grandma both made food just like this when I was growing up. Too often, German restaurants are serving food that is lacking in flavor, authenticity, etc. Not so here.

Dagma the owner was a WONDERFUL hostess and got things off to a great start. She took special notice of our little girl and treated her like a princess, ensuring she was happy and in turn allowing us parents to not have to be as concerned with a fussy little one.

We started with a house soup that had excellent flavor, along with fresh-made rye bread. (Emphasis on fresh!). I had the sampler platter which I shared with my daughter. It included my favorite, sauerbraten, and knödel (dumplings) with gravy that had the perfect seasoning. It also had fantastic pork, red cabbage, sauerkraut...and get this...I typically do not like spätzle, but I ate every bit of what was served...it was fantastic!

My wife had the chicken that was stuffed with ham and cheese. Not something I would typically enjoy, but I did try some and it was very good indeed.

We topped things off with some apple strudel which was freshly made and served warm with ice cream.

EVERYTHING was made fresh, and was delicious. Dagma checked on us several times, and even gave our daughter a "tour" of the restaurant, showing her the various curios.

I cannot emphasize enough how positive an experience it was. From the service to the freshly prepared food, everything was absolutely wunderbar!

Note that they are closed on Wednesdays, and Dagma noted that the restaurant will be closed for two weeks (in either June or July 2012) as she and her staff are taking a vacation for the first time since the restaurant opened.

• Visited June 2012
Tampa Bay
“Wunderbar, natuerlich!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Returned to this wonderful, naturally, German restaurant for Mother's Day and it could not have not been any nicer. The ambiance was so warm and friendly with Dagmar and the most courteous staff who made you feel as if it was a large family reunion. We even got to be friendly with our neighbor table. It constantly amazes me as to the fine quality of the genuinely German cuisine.

Can't wait to come back and try something else to dine and drink!!

• Visited May 2012
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Reminded us of Germany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I were craving good German food and beer, and we found them at the German Restaurant. We liked the quaint decor with plenty of German touches and attention to detail (salt and pepper shakers are all different; ours were pinneaples, but we saw birds, roosters, ducks, apples...) Our server was friendly and efficient, she brought the food promptly and kept checking on us. We will definitely visit the German Restaurant in our next trip to Tampa.

• Visited May 2012