“Perfect size!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach

Save Saved
You added Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach to your Saves list
Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2809 South Ocean Blvd., Highland Beach, FL 33487 (Formerly Holiday Inn Highland Beach-Oceanside)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Highland Beach
Miami, Florida
“Perfect size!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We spent two nights at this "resort" several weeks ago and was quite satisfied with my stay. I say "resort" because I think that title may be somewhat misleading as it is not the size nor does it have the other amenities one often associates with a"resort." Nonetheless, this "resort" was perfect for us and suited our purposes just fine! The size allowed everyone to get around and not lose sight of each other. The pool is not large at all but the perfect size for a quick splash. The lounge chairs and umbrellas were in great condition, clean and well kept. There is a restaurant on site we ate dinner and breakfast in. While not a fancy 5 star restaurant, it had a nice view and provided good food at reasonable prices. Our room was ocean view and true to its name. The beach experience was wonderful as well, mostly due in part to Steve. Steve handles the chair and umbrella rentals and could not have been a nicer guy. The crowd was very family oriented and pleasant. All in all I am glad we went and would certainly return when we want to get away from home to relax for a short weekend without having to go very far!

Need to add, there are many wonderful places to eat just a short drive away. However, this does not deter at all from the "private" feel of the resort.

Room Tip: The ocean view room was worth it!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Stephanie L, Front Office Manager at Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
mgapsych,

We love to hear compliments regarding our team members and I am glad that Steve made a positive impact during your stay. He is appreciative of the compliments! The Delray Sands is a boutique resort that offers the exclusivity of having a private beach. Many guests, as you mentioned, enjoy the remoteness this brings and allows one to truly enjoy a great getaway.

We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Stephanie L.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Pembroke pInes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were invited to spend a weekend at this resort and so glad we did. It is truly a little gem. It is a great getaway from the crazy lives we lead. From the minute you walk in it feels so inviting and comfortable. Luis and Matt were great. They look great care of my car and were friendly and kind. The girls at the front desk were great. My room was comfortable and met my needs. The view was AMAZING. The weather was perfect. Steve made sure to take care of us and set up chairs and umbrellas. I went with a few families and they had a wonderful time too. the rates are really great for being on the beach. We think we found a great place to get away and have fun.
If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing place then you need to check out Delray Sands. I will be visiting again really soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Inponce,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I made sure to pass along your compliments to our team, they were very appreciative. I am glad to hear that you will be back soon.
Look forward to welcoming you back during your next getaway!

miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The best thing about this property is the beach. I have lived in Florida all my life and I have visited many beaches in the area but none compare to this one. The sand is wonderful and the water is crystal clear. The facility itself is an old Holiday Inn that was purchased by the Opal Collection in February. Since then, they have remodeled the facility and they have tried to bring it up to the standards of their other properties. Unfortunately, it retains many of the features of the old Holiday Inn. The walls are very poorly soundproofed and conversations are easily heard, the air conditioner in our room was unusually loud and intrusive and the air conditioner in the room next to ours vents directly into the balcony so that when you’re sitting in the balcony you get this blast of hot air coming straight at you. That A/C unit was also extremely loud and sounded like a very fast hammer drill while the compressor was running. As in the Jupiter property, they also charge a $25 resort fee. Unfortunately, in this property that only gets you two beach chairs and the beach umbrella is $10 extra. In the Jupiter property everything is covered with the resort fee. Opal Collection also has a really silly beach towel policy in which you are given a towel card that you exchange for two towels. In order to get your card back you have to return the towels. If you don’t turn the card in a checkout time you get charged $25. Another issue is that valet parking is mandatory. In the Jupiter property valet parking is optional and you can self-park. Since I take a lot of stuff with me and I keep it in the car I find it very convenient to self-park. The staff was very friendly and the restaurant was very good.
Summarily, this is a very good place to stay and I will definitely love to return. It’s unfortunate that they cannot run it to the standards of their Jupiter property. If they did, this could easily be a four or five star facility.

Jorgemb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your previous stay with us. Having our own private beach is a unique aspect of the resort we take pride in, and I am glad that you enjoyed it too. I will speak with our maintenance manager about the a/c unit and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay. As you mentioned Jupiter Beach Resort and Spa is our sister property. While only two lounge chairs are included in the resort fee at both our properties, policies do vary in regards to parking. We are a valet only resort, as our parking is limited. Jupiter Beach Resort and Spa does allow self-parking and offers valet at an additional fee.

We hope to welcome you back soon and again we appreciate your feedback.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My 7 year-old twins and I recently stayed in a standard room with two queens. We were merely looking for a comfortable room and a decent pool to swim in between visits with my grandmother who lives in Delray Beach. The Delray Sands was running a special where we paid less than $100 night (plus a $25 resort fee), so we thought we'd give it try.

Although the Delray Sands Resort has "resort" in it's name, do not expect a true resort with lots of amenities and luxury. However, as a beach hotel, it is attractive and a good bargain.

Our room had been recently updated and was bright, contemporary, and comfortable. The bathroom was nicely decorated, although there was just a small vanity and only a shower (which wasn't an issue for us, but might be for those with small children). In our standard room, we had just a view of the side parking lot with a glimpse of the beach - which was what we expected, given what we paid.

The pool was basic, but pleasant and a comfortable temperature with plenty of loungers. The hotel has a "towel card" system, by which you trade in your card for a beach towel and get the card back when you turn it back in. This system wouldn't bother me, but we had several instances where the towel station was not manned, so it made the process of getting and dropping off towels more of a hassle.

There is a nice stretch of beautiful beach behind the hotel. It was relatively shallow for a great while and had waves that I felt comfortable having my children play in (despite a yellow flag indicating a "moderate hazard"). However, when we were there, the ocean was bringing up tons and tons of dead seaweed. I don't know if this a regular occurrence (I didn't see it mentioned in other reviews and we swam at the public beach in Delray in years past without it being an issue). But it's just something to keep in mind if you enjoy swimming in the ocean. The hotel provides loungers (although you have to pay a fee - I believe $10/day - for an umbrella).

We ate at the restaurant on three separate occasions. The food was good and view of the ocean was divine. Service wasn't particularly fast, but it was friendly and problem-free. One thing that the Delray Sands could do to make itself more of a true resort is to offer pool-side and beach service. This would make things more convenient for guests (and might even cause them to buy a few more drinks and snacks when they don't have to get up for them!).

Although the location of the hotel is quite pretty, do note that you really should have a car to stay here. It is located in a residential neighborhood and you're a couple miles away from restaurants and shopping. However, it offers direct access to the beach - which the vast majority of hotels "in town" do not.

All in all, I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a simple and relaxing vacation who is looking to save a little money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Stephanie L, Front Office Manager at Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dushman,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Delray Sands. We truly appreciate your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the design of our newly renovated rooms. Our beach is conveniently located just steps from our rooms and is definitely a feature of the resort to take advantage of. During the summer months, seaweed does tend to invariably wash onto the South Florida shoreline and is typically seen when there are storms in the area. As you suggested, Delray Sands does in fact now offer pool and beach service to our guests on the weekends.

Our location set us apart from other hotels. Guests are able to relax in the quiet town of Highland Beach and take advantage of our uncrowded private beach, but are only a few miles from the shops and restaurants of Delray.

We hope to see you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

If you wanna have a relaxing weekend getaway this is the place! The hotel is very nice, the rooms are very clean and comfortable! We got the ocean view room and was AMAZING! The beach area is very quiet and the stuff very friendly. We are gonna go back soon! ;)

Stayed June 2014
Paula G,

Thank you for such a great review! It is wonderful to hear that you had an amazing experience at our resort. As you noted, and we also agree, you can’t beat the view from our newly renovated ocean front rooms.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

after reading some of the other reviews I knew I had to post..
let me start by saying how picky I am! to the point of annoying most anyone who knows me.. and I could pick this hotel apart on tiny details but why? its not rated 5 stars and it is a former holiday inn that is in the process of being totally remodeled.. soooo that being said I thought this hotel was wonderful!
staff: from the housekeepers, front desk, pool attendants, waiters to bartender- AMAZING! very nice and friendly at all times. they treated you like you were at a 5 star resort.
room: we had a room on the 6th floor. very newly renovated. comfy king bed with great pillows. we had a pull out couch but never used it. the room was large with a nice balcony (2 chairs and a small table) over looking the ocean. great view!!
the walls may be a little thin- or we just had THE most annoyingly loud jersey couple beside us- use your best guess on that one..
bathroom: shower was extra large with a separate hand held sprayer and large shower head. very pretty tile work and plenty of counter space ( keep in mind there were only 2 adults staying in the room)
restaurant: we had amazing meals at each visit. we ate breakfast / lunch and dinner here - great service and delicious well prepared meals.
pool / beach: always were clean and busy enough but not crowded. plenty of chairs/ umbrellas. don't forget your towel card! they are very nice about it but it is a policy that you must abide by..
location: perfect for relaxing and just getting away... short 2 ish mile drive to delray where you can party it up or just have a nice evening walking around enjoying this lovely little town..

cons: and im being very picky!!
no shuttle service to delray or boca (this would be nice since the taxi service was kinda slow)
the permanent nightlight in the bathroom.. for those of us who love to sleep like a vampire this was kinda annoying.. I improvised and shoved some towels in front of it :)
resort fee- 25 / day and all the amenities it includes are still people who expect to be tipped.. but hey.. this seems to be the norm at most hotels ..
no wifi in the rooms.. :( I actually was never able to connect to wifi but had no problem getting service

Room Tip: as of july the 6th floor has been redecorated.. rumor has it that the bar/ restaurant and all other...
Amarieb23,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Delray Sands and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I made sure to pass along your compliments to our staff. We strive to go above and beyond to exceed guest expectations, and your comments served as great motivation. We do have wifi in all guest rooms, I will be sure to address your concerns with our engineering department. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We hope to see you back soon!

Decatur, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

They rescued us! We stayed one night at Seabonay "Resort" and couldn't get out fast enough. Thank goodness Delray Sands had a vacancy. We took a short drive up the coast, and they even got us an early check-in at 10:00 a.m. We were so thankful after being exhausted from researching hotels until 2:00 a.m. on the first night of our vacation. This place is excellent and a good value for the money. We got an oceanfront room with a private balcony for $200 on a holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for oceanfront. Worth every penny!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Stephanie L, Front Office Manager at Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
LynnfromAtlanta,

Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment. We understand that there are many different lodging options in the area and are appreciative that through your research you chose to stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay over the holiday weekend and we hope to see you back soon!

Stephanie L.

Been to Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach? Share your experiences!