“Beautiful springs, disappointing experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Attractions in High Springs
Type: Caverns/ Caves, Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Scuba diving, Canoeing
More attraction details
Owner description: This diver's paradise offers shallow spring, river and cave diving.
Port Orange, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful springs, disappointing experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Wow! The pictures look great and the springs itself are beautiful. But since this is not a state or county run park there are some serious issues. It was crazy, wild, and overrun with beer-drinking college students. No order to the place at all. It was chaos! It's expensive, disorderly, and was not family friendly. Perhaps going during the week would be much better. Here is my official review:

Save your money and go 10 minutes down the road to Poe Springs!

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Nice float down the river on a sunny day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We went mid week which was a good idea as it was quite quiet. Floated down the river a couple of times which was very relaxing. There were some static bbq's but we had packed lunch at one of the picnic benches. Not sure it would be so relaxing on a weekend though!

Chumuckla, FL
“Should've Went To State Park Springs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hubby/I took our teenage boys on a Sunday for 1/2 day of tubing during short visit to Alachua. We passed signs for State Park springs and Blue Springs--should have gone there! Trip was a last minute "let's go there", based on brochures at our hotel. Office was packed when we arrived around 11a. (about 45 mins to leave office and get tubes). We decided to park halfway between put-in and take-out points so the walk would not be too long after we were done. The "tube trail" took us through the camping area. Ginni Springs does not charge per camper, they charge per person---and there's no limit to the number of people per campsite. I'm glad I had boys because my girls would not have walked any where in this camping area by themselves (or with another girl friend) Tents, cars, sleeping bags EVERYWHERE; there didn't seem to be specified site boundaries. Some "sites" had 30 people standing around. Also the brochure stated no nailing, swinging ropes, etc to trees -- NOT enforced at all. There were ropes hanging from trees all along the river and you could tell some had been there a while. We passed a large group of college kids placing a satellite receiver in the trees. The river is beautiful, but without the sounds of nature; it's drowned out by loud music battling with other loud music.

I'm not a fuddy duddy. I like to drink and have fun and I don't think all the large groups were obnoxoius, but the way the owners advertise the place is very deceiving. It's not the family friendly, natural paradise you might think you're going to see. my impression was its a local hangout, esp for college kids, to camp, tube, swim, hang out--which is fine. But don't advertise yourself as nature-friendly, family-friendly when you are not making the effort to maintain it that manner.

Visited August 2013
“Don't go camping here unless you have a death wish!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

First things first springs are awesome. That being said don't stay here.

Loud drunk beyond anything I could have ever imagined. We were kept up till 330 am by screaming and music. Loud blasting stereos. I had on noise canceling head phones and I could still hear them.... I live in philadelphia I'm use to sleeping in noise. The bathrooms are disgusting as are the people who chose to camp here (local drunks) the staff is rude and unhelpful. We asked how to navigate to our site and were given a map and told you will figure it out.

People drive around drunk and no one cares. I don't see how this place stay open. I will be calling to lodge a complaint with the state.

I saw kids drinking as young as 12 and driving around atv and golf carts drunk.

Private property doesn't mean all laws can be broken but here they don't care. They won't inforce any rules because the drunks are their bread and butter. It's clearly all about money. It's a real shame cause the springs are amazing and it could be a nice place to go.

I can't stress enough DON'T GO HERE.... Unless you are a drunk frat boy with no dignity.

Pennington, NJ
17 attraction reviews
“Our experience was worthy of made-4-TV movie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We will never forget our afternoon at Ginnie Springs. My 80-yr old mom, sis and I made this our destination spot for our annual drive from NJ to Fla (there's only so many times you can stop at Savannah, right?) We arrived around 3PM with only 2 hours left to tube. Checked in with Corby who gave us our tubes, life vests and string to tie our sandals to our big pink tubes. He warned us to heed the signs as the exit point was coming up and we got the feeling we didn't want to know what lies beyond. Also recommended staying away from the banks.

LOVELY -- picturesque springs, bluer than blue. Slowly rambling waters that felt like the Big Bird's Lazy River at Sesame Place. We tied our tubes (cough-cough) together with Corby's string so we wouldn't lose mom. None of us could really steer our tubes as only our fingertips and toes reached the water.

We finally saw the "Exit" signs and we were positioned on the correct side of the river. Cool! 300ft...200ft...100 ft to go. Then, the current took us to the opposite bank just as the exit approached. No maneuverability and mild panic was combined with hysterical laughter. Finally sis and I jumped out of our tubes and swam like Navy Seals who had missed the 6-month intensive training. Blew our safety whistles and shouted out to no avail Finally, ended up standing in muck up to our thighs wading into the exit area. Mom floated along comfortably during the commotion feeling secure that her 50-something daughters would figure it out.

We all survived and got unimaginable laughs out of this story for months. We saw no drinking or rowdiness and none of the strapping youngsters seemed to have the trouble we did. So, if you are of a certain age, be sure to wear your life vest. Seek out the beauty but be prepared for a little extra fun. We did film a reenactment in the resort pool and it's coming soon to a theater near you.

Visited May 2013