“Serendipity in Miami Lakes” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Novillo Restaurant

El Novillo Restaurant
15450 New Barn Rd, 110, Hialeah, FL 33014-2169 (Formerly El Novillo)
+1 305-819-2755
Cuisines: Latin, Steakhouse, Central American, Grill
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner
Detroit
“Serendipity in Miami Lakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Because we were attending a performance at the Miami Lakes Theatre we decided to find a spot to eat that allowed us to indulge in our tendency to "park once." We discovered the charming area called "Main Street" where there is an interesting grouping of shops, services and restaurants. The latter include Japanese, French, Italian and a somewhat out-of-the-way spot called El Novillo, featuring Nicaraguan food.
The facility is lovely - "appropriate" architecture and decoration and music to set the atmosphere. The staff greeted us warmly and carefully directed us to a quieter area away from a large group that was having a celebration.
The food was traditional Nicaraguan nicely prepared and presented. The wait staff was eager to clarify the items on the menu and make suggestions when asked. The ceviche was one of the best, if not the best, that I have ever had. The churrasco was perfectly cooked at the requested temperature, flavorful and tender.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
“This Place Makes Me Happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I want to mention that I am rating based on more than one dining experience. While the steaks here are not prime, the establishment does not market them as such. Instead, you get delicious Latin food; steaks with chimichurri sauce and very friendly at tentative service. The staff is very hospitable. I was surprised at how delicious the chicken chimichurri was-try it. Go with friends and have fun.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Waiters are trained well, for the good of the Owner and the Bill.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We are regulars at El Novillo, but there is one problem I have with the place.
when you are in the Process of Ordering, and for Example...you say..ok I want the Baby Churrasco....right away, they ask you/Tell you " Do you want Shrimp with your Churrasco"? or usually it will be like this "Shrimp with your Churrasco.......( second Example is not even a question)
For us Regulars, we already know that that tricky question/non question" Shrimp" will cost you $9 !!!! (4 Shrimps)
For people , who doesnt know, the Question is being asked the very "Wrong Way"....because the correct way to ask that is saying... " Would you like to Add shrimp to your entree for $ 9..??
Here is a perfect Example....I went there Yesterday with 3 people who just got here from Spain, where Beer, Tapas , Ceviche and Seafood is cheap in most places, even by the Ocean......
And whithout hesitating at all ,and not even asking any questions, they all said...Yes , of course.....and the Baby Churrasco end up costing almost $28......
I dont care paying good $ , but I want it to let you people know, how incorrect this is being asked at the table.....
I will bet, that every single Tourist or new people to the area, when they see the bill, at the end....they will ask the same question...." wait a minute, they ask me if I want it this...but never gave me the real Explanation...
my issue with this is: 4 Old Frozen Shrimp for $9......................!!!????Wow........pretty cold punch.....

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Great food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

First a 10 min wait for a table became 25 mins. And while never offering our group a drink, we waited another 20 mins after we were seated before taking our drink orders followed by 30 mins before our dinner orders. The place was not busy and there were many waiters running around. We had to ask the bartender each time for a new order of drinks rather than being offered before the glasses were empty. I rarely complain but I thought they need to know about this experience. CS

Visited May 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Excellent churrasco.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Some of the best churrasco I've had, with a Costa Rican theme. Sides include gallo pinto, mariquitas and sweet plantains.

Visited March 2013