“Affordable and” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Aruba
“Affordable and”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

In an effort to flee the less than par accommodations at another hotel, we drove around in the middle of the night from hotel to hotel to find an affordable and available hotel Thanksgiving week. This Best Western luckily had rooms available. We booked the room and couldn't check in until the following morning, unfortunately. There were apparently some misunderstandings because the night front desk attendant did not book our reservations so when we showed up the following day, they had no record of us. The front desk personnel was nevertheless very friendly and helpful and partially honored the rate we were quoted the night before. We let this pass as the night front desk clerk was a very young guy so we dismissed his quoting us the wrong rate as youthful negligence; this also taking into consideration that the regular rate (which included breakfast) in and of itself was very affordable in the end.

The hotel was clean, had a very nice lobby and a surprisingly updated decor. The rooms were also very nice, comfortable, and typical hotel room size (just enough for the two queen size beds, dresser, desk with chair and two-seat corner table.) The parking lot had more than enough spaces for all cars to park on hotel grounds. The hotel also has a gym and a pool, neither of which I used.

There were two computers with internet access and printers in the lobby. Mornings are high-traffic times so it'll be best to get to them early.

The breakfast. Coffee, juices, danishes, scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, etc., toast, a limited selection of cereals, etc. They also provided some fresh fruit and yoghurt. In my view, more than enough to fuel you for the morning. Although, they wouldn't win any culinary awards just yet. The service in the dining room was very friendly and helpful. I arrived for breakfast one morning just 5 minutes shy of the end of breakfast so there were no eggs left. Noticing the disappointment in my face, the lady offered to get me some more. That just made my day!

The location is just perfect. The rooms were quiet so you couldn't tell the I-95 was practically above it. Also, it was near a gas station which made getting gas before heading out very practical. In addition, the Hallandale/Aventura area is a shopper's dream with the Gulf Stream Village, Aventura Mall, Wal-Mart, Burlington, Big Lots and many other big box stores all in close proximity. Not to mention all the restaurants nearby, incl. fast food chains, franchise restaurants and higher end places.

Security. Having a security guard on the outside premises gave me quite the peace of mind. Being right off a major highway, notwithstanding its obvious perk, can be a bit nerve-racking if you think of the possibility of those who want a quick drive away after committing a crime. I admit, I may be somewhat paranoid on this issue.

In sum, this hotel is affordable, clean, and has a great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Cheers297,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that you encountered some inconveniences at the time of your arrival and I sincerely apologize. It does delight me to hear that you found our location convenient to your needs and that the rooms met your expectations. It was great to hear that you appreciated the measure we take for the security and safety of our guests and I am glad this gave you a peace of mind. I do hope that you wil visit us again soon.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Deltona, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The staff was so rude and unaccommodating. I had booked a reservation in July of 2012 because i was having hip surgery. I live alone with my dog and at the time they were a pet friendly hotel so they told me it was absolutely okay to have my dog stay. So 4 days before i was set to stay there, I had called the hotel to make sure everything was set and to make sure my name was still in the system. When i called the front desk the woman who answered was so rude and not personable at all!!! I wanted to confirm that my dog was staying as well and she told me that it was no longer a pet friendly hotel, i asked to speak to the GM and he was just as rude and told me there was nothing he could do, nobody had even called me to tell me that it was no longer pet friendly so i had to cancel my reservation. Very disappointed!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Tina L,

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review. I am very sorry that we were not able to accommodate you and your pet and for the inconvenience this might have caused. Unfortunately, we stopped being a pet friendly hotel in January 2013 and those rooms are no longer available, especially now that we have begun renovations. We have taken the necessary steps to make sure this does not happen again. We have made sure that our website does not state that we are pet friendly and we have also informed the central reservations center to verify. We are also looking at other reservations ahead of time to make sure that all guests are informed. Once again I do apologize and I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Tampa, Florida, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hotel was in a great location for the races and was more affordable than other hotels in the location. The only thing I had a problem with is they wouldn't let you check in a minute before 4 pm, so had to wait in the lobby. Also the rooms were very nice and they are in the middle of renovations which I think it will be better afterwards but they still have a slight bug problem as I had to kill a german roach in the bathroom but its Miami after all and this wasn't the Marriott which I'm used to staying at but it was a good substitute for the location and price. I would stay again if it were race week and everyone else wanted to charge triple what normal fees are.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Theresa A,

Thank you very much for the great review. I do apologize for the bug you found in the room. Since we are currently under renovations the dust does attract bugs but we have exterminators come in weekly to keep the problem under control. I am glad that our location was convenient for the ppurpose of your stay. We do hope to see you again soon.

Topeka, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here the end of January 2013 with one other couple for one night prior to a cruise out of Port Canaveral. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. We had a large flat screen tv. When I told the front desk our blow dryer didn't work she immediately called maintenance to have it replaced. The only minor thing I would mention is the highway noice and it wasn't that distracting to us nor the other couple. The staff was very helpful and courteous. They were more than willing to call us a cab when needed or share information of the area. There were several restaurants nearby that we walked to for dinner. Also a grocery store across the street as well as a quick shop on the corner. The continental breakfast had numerous items to choose from and was very good. I might note that I used Best Western reward points for both rooms and was not charged additional charges...yahoo!! We will stay here again!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NGA246,

I want to thank you for your kind review. I do apologize if the highway noise cause any problems for your party. We are aware of the issue and are currently working on replacing the windows on that side of the hotel so that all guests can receive a good night's sleep. On the bright side, it is always great to hear that guests find our rooms clean and comfortable and the staff helpful. I am also glad that you found our location convenient and did not have too trouble moving around. We are very happy to know that we can expect your visit on your next trip to Hallandale and we will be waiting with open arms.

Best reagrds,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Altuough the first impression of the place was not good (the location is too close to the hwy and the area itself is not as nice as the surrounding areas) the staff is very good here. Alicia in particular - at the front desk - is great! She helped me whenever I needed it, gave me good tips about the place and made my stay there very pleasant. Ask for her when you go to Bw!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Tatianila,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. It delights me to hear that you found our staff to be warm, friendly and most importantly helpful. I noticed that you pointed out Alicia for us I will go ahead and let her know of the great job she is doing and the great reviews she is receiving. We will be waiting to welcome you back on your next visit to Hallandale.

Sacramento
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here last year and listed several negative issues. Management responded to my prior review saying that they were correcting the problems, yet while staying here again one year later, I found many of the same issues remain.

Negatives; Musty, moldy carpeting; I-95 traffic noise. TV cable signal is the old fuzzy analog quality, not HD. Worn bed sheets. Slow WiFi (from 5th floor).

The mold problem in my room was bad and triggered my allergies, nearly ruining my trip. The carpeting was the main problem. After walking barefoot around my room and then stepping into the bathtub, I noticed the black mold wash off the bottom of my feet. Ugh! Also, mold was growing inside one of the picture frames hanging in my room.

When checking-in, I requested a room facing away from I-95 because of the noise issue, but was told they did not have any available! This problem was magnified by the fact that the window in my room did not shut completely, leaving a slight gap of an opening from which the noise from I-95 was made even worse. When I complained to the front desk, I was told that they were aware of the problem, and that the windows were scheduled to be replaced. Ha! Last year when I had complained about the I-95 noise, management responded that they would "expedite" the replacement of windows with new sound proof ones, but where are they? So don't bother setting the alarm clock, because early morning rush hour traffic will do the job.

Positives: Affordable room rates (for Miami); Easy I-95 access by car; free breakfast; nice furniture (microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker); TV has a HDMI port you can hookup to your laptop (pack a cable) and playback your own videos in HD; Lobby computers with printers; Laundry room ($2 wash/$2 dry)

Room Tip: Reserve a room facing away from the Interstate 95 at the time of booking. Otherwise I would not reco...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Jason72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you still encountered isues during your second stay with us. I also do apologize that it has taken us so long to get started on the windows. There are many permits and procedures that need to be approved before construction can begin; however, renovations have officially started February 4th 2013 and the first item on the list are the windows facing the highway. The constructions workers will begin to put the windows in on Monday. Once the renovation is completed there will be no need for guests to request a room on the parking lot side. As for the carpet it will be completely replaced on all rooms so this will no longer be an issue either. Once again I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we do hope that you can visit us again when all renovations are completed.

Stafford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The staff here are wonderful. I arrived early to the hotel and the young lady at the front desk named Alicia immediately found a room that was ready for my family to use. She realized that we had come a long way and she did not want us to wait. Alicia has made sure that our stay in the hotel has been very welcoming.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
bestwesternHallndale, Administrative Assistant at BEST WESTERN Hollywood/Aventura, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Nikkitoyya I,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this wonderful review about Alicia. I am glad that we were able to check you in efficiently. It also delights me to hear that you also found the rest of the staff very welcoming, friendly, and helpful. I hope that next time you are in town you choose to stay with us again.

Best regards,

Been to BEST WESTERN Hollywood/Aventura? Share your experiences!