“Excellent Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Diplomat Parkway, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009   |
Toronto
“Excellent Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our 1 week stay at the Westin Diplomat (we're a couple in our early 30s).

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a relaxing resort. Having said that -- keep in mind that it's quite pricey (but we both feel it's worth it...especially when using SPG points).

One of the major pros is that you are on the Beach..and the beach staff are great (see below).

We also saw Vince Vaughan in the lobby as it was the big College Football game in Miami...so that was exciting :)

Pros:
*The hotel is beautiful and very grand.
*Lobby is wonderful -- a nice place to hang out (except it's pretty cold...too much air conditioning for us considering we're coming to Florida for the heat) :)
*Rooms are great. LOVE that you can choose to get 500 SPG points instead of having your room cleaned (but you can still order new towels etc).
*The Beach Staff are the BEST I've ever encountered. They are friendly, professional, and attentive. The manager (I can't remember his name but he's the one in the blue top) was excellent and the service was fantastic. The chairs are not cheap...but it's well worth it (we spent almost everyday hanging out on the beach).
*Once you pay for your beach chairs...they are yours for the day. Works well when you go for lunch or go to your room and come back. Another pro to paying for the chairs is that you are guaranteed a spot vs at some resorts where people save chairs for their entire group.
*The pool is gorgeous and I love that they are open 24hrs (we would do a sunset swim which was really nice).
*I appreciate that you can take as many beach towels as you need and you don't need to hand one in to get a fresh one (I find that irritating)
*there is a convenient little cafe in the lobby called 'Ingredients'. It's perfect for Breakfast, a light lunch, and snacks. The Yogurt Parfait and the Fruit smoothies were our staples.
*I didn't use the gym...but it looked very nice. They say there are classes...but I don't know how frequent those really run.
*You're 20min from everything relevant.
*Downtown Hollywood was very cute. The weekend is when they have more live music.
*Downtown Fort Lauderdale was also cute..but a little more boring in the evening.
*it's convenient that you can charge everything to your room.

Cons:
**Note: most of these are nitpicky and would not prevent me from coming back. The main issue is that the place is expensive. Once you accept this...then it's not a big deal.

*We're vegetarian so there weren't many options (and if you are vegan...there is essentially nothing). The pizzas & quesodillas were amazing....but not great for the waistline. It would have been nice if the outdoor restaurant (splash) offered the Veggie Burger or Cobb Salad (no bacon) that the indoor 'Cafe' offered. A grilled Veggie Wrap (not the cold one at Ingredients), is another idea for the hotel.
*we noticed another guest had charged their food to our room (twice). There were over $100 in charges that were not ours. It's important to review your bill. The hotel retracted the payment...but if I hadn't checked that would have sucked. Although it's convenient to charge things to your room...the downside is someone might do this as well.
*Beach chairs cost around $10/chair and the umbrella is around $15/day. It's definitely worth it in the end as they are super comfortable...but it can definitely add up.
*movies in the room are expensive.
*again...nitpicky...but i think the concierges should know more about the area and places to recommend if you want to go out for dinner etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Victoria, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed there twice. My Husband played golf with other Managers, while I stayed at one of the Pools. We had a great View down on to the Beach and the Pools. We also cruised along the Canals in a Tour Boat, to see the Sites.

Appleton, Wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This place is great, Both pools are wonderful. The week we were there it was crowded with lots of families, very crowded week before Christmas, but we still enjoyed it. The area also has a ton of things to do. Beach was beautiful. You can watch sunrise by the pool, it is beautiful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at the golf location for the past six years on and off. We just stayed their and found out it was closing January first. The rooms were not up to par to say the least. It seems as though they have already cut back on staff as well as the service we have been used to when we have stayed at this location. The staff always remembers us as soon as we check in. The staff told us upon arrival that the hotel was closing on the first of January and asked us if we knew, we did not. Our stay was for 6 nights (Dec. 7 thru Dec.12). The room was not clean, hair in the bathroom bathtub was peeling wood finish and the linens smelled old. The carpet had spots in the room as well as the hallway. Behind the furniture was all dusty and dirty. We have stayed in the suites as well as their superior rooms, this was a superior room this time. Since our departure I have called Starwoods and told them how upset we were that we were not told before our booking, we love this property, and how the room was not up to their standards as well as what we were accustomed to with all of their hotels and villas we have stayed in the past 12 years of being a loyal SPG client. The customer service rep I spoke with said they are not closing but going thru a renovation, what's the truth??
Jan

Plantation, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I stood here on December 7th for a company Holiday party. The Grand ball room was so well done, the food was fantastic... now on to the room... 15th floor wrap around balcony beautiful decor. This was very romantic and relaxing. The rooms as well as the entire hotel was spotless and decorated so beautifully. The only draw back is there is no place to get food service after midnight. The bar area will not serve guests after 12 pm. I found this odd, we were told we could order room service to the main lobby but couldn't eat at the tables in the bar where we were drinking and socializing with friends.
Overall I want to go back. This was perfect for my marriage!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

My fourth stay at this Westin. Overall a very nice hotel, with very comfortable rooms, great spa and swimming pool and right on the beach. Even by Westin standards this is a superior hotel. The only negative is that the Internet is far from satisfactory: iffy even on a good day, and terrible on a bad one. I've had problems with it every stay.

The conference facilities, which are located in their own building but connected to the hotel are very good as well.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Went to the Diplomat today to play golf and it was my first time there. This place is beautiful. From the second you pull in valet to the last putt on the 18th green you will not be disappointed. The clubhouse is nice. The locker room is unreal. I was amazed how nice this place was. Have played the Blue Monster at Doral and it is not as good as here. In the area it is a must play. If you dont play here it is your loss! The staff is wonderful. Absolute A++++++++

• Stayed December 2012

Been to The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!