“Fabulous Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 35 Restaurants in Gulfport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Barbecue
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fabulous Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We ate outside at this wonderful restaurant. The food was outstanding. Crabcakes were unbelievable! Would highly recommend.

Visited April 2014
Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for visiting Backfin Blue Cafe. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and our food. Hope to see you again soon!

“Best Crab Outside of Maryland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had a gathering of 30 family members to celebrate my Uncle's birthday at the Backfin Blue Cafe. We enjoyed our dinners outside on the porch. The food was very good. I had the Crab Martini and was very impressed with the lump crab meat in this appetizer. The combination of flavors was terrific. My husband had the Grouper Oscar and I had Macadamia Nut Crusted Fresh Catch. Both were very good.The staff was helpful and friendly. We were pleased we could bring a birthday cake for the dessert. We live in Maryland and I wish we had a similar restaurant nearby. Compared to restaurants in the DC area, the food was reasonably priced for the quality.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
It was our pleasure to host your Uncle's birthday party. Our outdoor deck is a great area to have large gatherings. Glad to hear you enjoyed our crab cakes, especially coming from Maryland. I often tell folks wnen I see some Maryland plates pull up for the first time, the people usually have a dubious look on their face on the way in and s big smile on the way out. Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again.
Islamorada, Florida
“Not my best meal.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Let's start with the positives. Cute place and the porch is lovely although I don't know how it would be in the summer. Service was good but if you don't want to relax and enjoy your meal this is not your place. Salad was good, caramel brownie fantastic. Negatives were my entree which was the bacon wrapped bar-b-que shrimp. I specifically asked the server what size the shrimp were and she told me medium to large....reality was small. Sauce was out of a jar and couldn't taste the bacon. There was also a table next to us with a 2-3 year old who screamed constantly. Unfortunately the parents and the grandparents seemed to think it was cute.....it wasn't. I may return to try prime rib which did look good. Maybe it was just a bad night for them.

Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thanks for visiting us and sharing your review. Sorry you had some 2-3 year old distractions during your visit. As far as the size of our shrimp, your server was almost right, we use the 21-25 (per pound) which are typically classified as jumbo shrimp ( there's that dang oxymoron!). I hope you get to visit again and try our prime rib (remember the Monday night special). Thanks again.
Hernando, Florida
“BEST CRAB CAKES EVER”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Don't let looks deceive you. In this little frame cottage is a special seafood restaurant that makes the best and freshest crab cakes ever. Service is pleasant and friendly. Has a large outdoor dining area. A must if in Gulfport.

Visited April 2014
Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Yay crab cakes!! My friends had the same impressions when I showed them the little cottage that I wanted to open a restaurant in, "I don't know about a restaurant, but I would like to live there", was one's comment. But we soon found out many things, including even with a tiny house kitchen, we could make great crab cakes and people would come from all over Florida to eat them! Thanks for visiting us.
virgina
“Can't agree with other reviewers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I really hate to give a bad review..... so I will start with the good. The restaurant has a nice porch, that has lovely atmosphere. The wine I ordered was delicious. The service was adequate, but there was a very large group, next to us, so all the waitresses were pretty busy.
The meal....not so great. I will say, that my husband and I are on vacation, and have been to some really wonderful restaurants in the last few days. Even if we hadn't been to great restaurants recently, this meal was at best mediocre. We started off with a stuffed portobello mushroom with blue cheese. The stuffing seemed to be bread crumbs that you get at the grocery store, in a can. The sauce, tasted to me like canned gravy, my husband disagreed. We then had an artichoke and tomato salad. The artichokes were clearly from a jar of marinated artichokes. Our main course was a trio of lobster ravioli, shrimp with bottled barbecue sauce, and a crab cake. The lobster was overcooked, the shrimp tasted okay, except that it tasted like shrimp with bottled barbecue sauce. The crab cake was pretty good, but not even close to warm. This meal was really a shame, because the atmosphere was very nice.....unfortunately, the meal did not live up to my expectations.

Visited May 2014
Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
I hate to say it, but your husband was right (but we can keep that between us). I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit. Worst part is, the night you described, I know l was cooking! Some disclosures, portobello app bread crumbs: our house made croutons ground and mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with panko and fresh basil and sage. Our BBQ sauce, Sweet Baby Rays. The artichoke and tomatoes, I don't like it, but it's something we've done for 17 years and for some reason, a lot of our customers like it, a lot. If you visit again and I make something you don't like, please tell me and I'll make you something else. Thanks for sharing your concerns.