“What an unexpected surprise!” 4 of 5 stars

The Historic Peninsula Inn & Spa
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   2937 Beach Blvd S, Gulfport, FL 33707   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gulfport
Lyme, Connecticut
“What an unexpected surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I wasn't looking for a 'home away from home', but since I discovered the Peninsula Inn and Spa, I believe I've found one. My daughter and I stayed at the Peninsula for several nights as she was settling into a new apartment in the area, and it turned into such a nice occasion in and of itself. Because of the location in Gulfport one feels immediately pulled into the community and a very charming one at that.....music on the Peninsula's veranda, the Art Walk, dancing, shopping and one hasn't even left the block yet! The inn keepers Jim and Alex are very interesting people and fortunately one of their interests is providing a comfortable and lovely enviroinment for their guests and helping them to experience the best of Gulfport. The inn is very tastefully decorated and the attention to detail apparent . Our room and its amenities exceeded our expectations . We had not planned to eat in so often, but it seemed to be pouring rain at dinner time each evening, so Isabelle's it was. We were pleased each time, and breakfast in the same dining room or on the veranda was really enjoyable. I will look forward to my future visits to Gulfport and the Peninsula Inn (hope my daughter will too!?), and I would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Klamath Falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Rooms are gorgeous with varied decor and themes. Two restaurants which are elegant and nicely appointed. Six tables Restaurant is an exquisite dining experience. On a nice evening, the veranda offers a magicial atmosphere for cocktails and dining. Chef has experience in preparing many diverse dishes. He prepared the trout we caught two different ways that melted in our mouths. Lodging & meal prices were very comparable to market prices.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

The Peninsula Inn was a wonderful bed and breakfast treat in the St Petersburg area. The owners, Jim and Alex, were wonderful hosts and what a treat to stay in a comfortable inn versus a cold hotel. The food was fabulous, the room was very cozy, and the spa was so relaxing. I would recommend the Peninsula Inn for anyone looking to get away from it all and relax just down the street from the beach and nearby to nightlife in St Petersburg and Tampa!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
St. Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

My husband and I spent a couple of days at The Peninsula Inn and Spa. We enjoyed a trip down memory lane....being in "Old Florida," represented perfectly by The Peninsula In and Spa. The building itself is a treasure and has been beautifully restored to its former glory. Each suite is special and unique. The first floor rooms: bar, 2 restaurants and lobby area are charming. The wrap around veranda holds it all together. Our meals were delicious and beautifully served. The weather was chilly, and we loved being in the small, cozy dining room with a fireplace. The members of the staff were accommodating, helpful and pleasant. After dinner, we were joined in the bar by quite a few other visitors, who came to hear the owner play the piano. She is a dynamo!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
west palm beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I just need to stay for one evening, but I found the staff extremely helpful and woke up to an excellent homemade breakfast by the owner. The staff was waiting on me when I arrived an hour after I told them I would. My room was nice and the next morning, I discovered that the owner had made homemade banana nut bread. They also allowed the rest of my family who lived in told to join me at no charge. Excellent experience!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

No wow factor. Where do I start first... The staff is extremely rude; the rooms are okay, nothing fancy. We stayed in the Princess room and the shower did not have hot water, really sucked since the weekend we stayed it was 50 degrees outside! They should change the name from Bed and Breakfast to just beds.. The breakfast they offer, isnt really breakfast. They offered fruit that looked like it came from a can, cheerios, and mini donuts. We made reservations to eat at the 6 Tables, we had to wait for over an hour for our table, the food was okay, but nothing exciting. Its sad because this place could have a lot of potential, but the staff sucks, even when we checked out, all the front desk said was, "Key?", “Were done.” There was no, how was your stay, thank you for your business..Nothing. Not too mention, every time me and my boyfriend came into the bed and breakfast we got the third degree as to why we were there, I lost track on how many times we had to tell the staff we were staying there. So if you’re in your late 20's this place isn’t very welcoming. The weekend we spent here was supposed to be a special weekend and it ending up being more of a headache. This place isn’t worth the price you pay

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Hamden, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

The hotel front desk person never sent a confirmation and when I arrived my reservation was not found in the system, even though the person taking the reservation requested all of my credit card and other information. The room I requested (Katmandu) was available but when I arrived in the room it did not look at portrayed on the internet. The wall paper was coming off the walls in the bathroom. The bedding and room was very dusty with dustball hanging off the ceiling fans. The TV was very grainy and the remote control did not work. The front desk person did not provide me with the internet access code to be able to do the work that I needed to do. There is no one at the front desk in the evenings at all. There is no hair dryers in the rooms. I found out later from the owner that you have to request them at the front desk. The Katmandu room is located on the 3rd floor right next to the elevator and you can hear the elevator ticking loudly all night long. I ended up getting no sleep at all the night I stayed. After all the rave reviews I was expecting a wonderful experience and ended up very disappointed. When I mentioned the problems to the owner she was completely unresponsive and made no offer to compensate me for the inconveniences. I wanted a relaxing and restful environment and didn't receive it. If you decide to reserve a room here, my advice would be to make sure to ask when you arrive for extra toilet paper, a hair dryer, the internet code, and the front door code, because you will have no support or assistance after probably 6:00 in the evening until the next day when the owner and staff arrive back at the inn.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Historic Peninsula Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!