“A trip - and worth the trip” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Greenacres
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
boston
“A trip - and worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

From Althea's first greeting to the warm good-bye, Kersmon Caribbean Restaurant is a most delightful experience. The food is terrific -- delicious, carefully prepared, and lovingly presented. Kersmon is a perfect example of the futility of judging a book by its cover. The location, in a small strip mall, is not at all fancy. Neither is the decor of the restaurant. But the meals are great, the atmosphere superior to that of far more expensive restaurants. This place is a trip - and worth the trip.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax, Virginia
“Best Caribbean food in or outside of Jamaica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Kersmon is in an unassuming strip mall that is easy to miss but you want to make sure you don't miss it. Althea, originally from Jamaica, is warm, kind and makes you feel like you're eating at your Mom or Grandma's house. If you're new to the restaurant she will ask you to sign her book and will always remember you.

We didn't even bother looking at menus, we told her to bring us whatever she wanted and we were not disappointed. As usual in Florida during the summer it was raining a bit so she started us out with the best chicken soup ever. The depth of flavor was amazing and I could have eaten just that. Next she brought us ox tail, jerk chicken, rice, vegetables, plantains and finally goat. I am a strictly "beef, chicken or pork" kind of gal but I tried the ox tail and it was AMAZING. It was so tender, flavorful and certainly not what I expected. I was so glad I trusted Althea and tried it. The jerk chicken was spicy but not so overly spicy you can't eat it. Again the chicken was tender and better than I had in Jamaica. If it's a little spicy for you, she serves sweet plantains with it and it helps cut the heat. I didn't try to goat but my husband and son said it was amazing. Althea explained that at any celebration in Jamaica there is always goat and if she couldn't open her doors each day if she didn't have goat, everyone loves her goat that much.

Althea is a lovely woman who I could talk to for hours and she is more than happy to not only share her stories but to hear yours as well. She genuinely cares about people and you hate to leave. Come as you are (we came straight from the beach) and she will welcome you with open arms. If you're looking for a cookie cutter place, please still go to Kersmon but enter with an open mind. You literally feel like she has brought her own plates and everything from home. By the time we left we had overly full stomachs from feasting on food you dream of and overly full hearts from the hugs and conversation. I cannot wait to return to Florida to eat here again and get a big hug. Seriously you MUST go here.

• Visited September 2013