“Ok if you're in the area” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: While the building and area around us may not be new, come inside and revisit a home like environment with Cousins Cafe inspired by Grandma's Kitchen. We're celebrating almost 1 year of new Ownership. We're bringing the "fresh" back to Green Cove Springs. Open for Breakfast and Lunch Mondays-Saturdays 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. and 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Sundays. Enjoy a late breakfast on the Weekends until noon! Join us at the counter to place your order or call for takeout. Keep the Green in Green Cove Springs. Support your Local Businesses!
Jacksonville, Florida
“Ok if you're in the area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We drive by this place at least three times a week but never thought to stop based on the location. The strip mall is rather old, and we never noticed that many cars near the place. So based on some reviews we thought we would give it a try.
When you enter the diner go to your right as that is the counter to order your food. There are menus in a holder and a board on the wall. We took a menu and found a place to sit. We decided on biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, pumpkin pancake special for hubby. I had the veggie omelet with home fries and rye toast, we both had coffee. I would have had the corned beef hash but it was not made in house. Hubby asked about gravy and they stated they used to use canned but now they make their own. You place your order pay, get your coffee cup and go to the self serve drink area to your left. I thought the coffee was empty because I had to keep pumping the container. the owner stated it was finicky and you had to keep pumping it. This is one of my pet peeves for places...the container costs around $12 at Sams club, please get another one instead of customers being forced to work for a coffee they pay for!
The food was ok. The B&G were very good, fluffy biscuits and tasty gravy the eggs were cooked right and the bacon was crispy. The pumpkin pancakes were good and not over spicy, kind of a pain to get up and share the syrup, individual containers would help. My omelet was good but a little watery as the veggies were put in to soon or just overcooked. The omelet egg part was a little more brown then I would have liked, but not dry. The home fries tasted like they were seasoned boiled potatoes barely put on the fryer. No crispness or color at all, but the seasoning was tasty. Main problem was everything but the omelet was barely warm. I would have sent some things back but hubby said he didn't want to wait. Everything does seem to be made to order, I don't mind waiting if the food is worth it. The bill was around $25 for two of us which I thought was high for the quality but it was mainly because the hubby wanted to try a variety and the ad-on's added up. Most meals were around $8. The coffee was good and the people operating everything were as nice as could be. Place was kitschy and seemed pretty clean. If I was in the area I would go again, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“A great diner! A rare gem of a find in Green Cove Springs.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

If you want to find your moms cooking at a cafe, come here. This is a rare find and it has an awesome atmosphere with Coke memorbillia on the walls. But let's talk the food. It was excellent, biscuits homemade as well as the gravey which was better than mine! Eggs and potatos cooked perfectly. And the desserts make you want one even at 10 in the morning! Can we say almond joy pie!! Thank you we will be back!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Green Cove Springs, Florida
“Great place for dinner!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have been to Cousins quite a few times for breakfast and recently decided to try to them for dinner, since they starting serving it a few days a week. Just like the breakfast, dinner was good as well. Everything is home cooked and excellent. Will definitely be back!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Sylva, North Carolina
“Really surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Tried two other places in Green Cove Springs for breakfast. One was so loud that we walked out. The other was strictly coffee. Then I saw Cousins' Cafe at the intersection of US17 and Fl. Rt. 16 (southeast corner). The outside doesn't NOT give an impression of what's inside.

Fun decor and absolutely great food. I had the orange/cranberry pancakes with sauce and the were the best ever. Wife had scrambled eggs, grits and sausage (called breakfast bowl) which she said was wonderful. DO NOT BE IN A HURRY to eat here. I believe nothing is prepared ahead so your food comes fresh, hot and delicious. The staff was courteous and prices are just right for the little town of Green Cove Springs.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Great breakfast place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We always look for authentic home cooking places. This was a good find. We visit every month or so and it always meets our expectations.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere