“I liked it” 5 of 5 stars

Key West, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“I liked it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

First let me say I am from Key West and at the moment it is being run over by crowds, too much of everything. So for me and my husband finding Cauley Square is a quiet little reprieve. My husband and I ate at the Village Chalet and the food was very good, service excellent and half of the cost for the same in Key West. We actually enjoyed the cats and seeing racoons. They were never a problem and kept their distance. I never smelled cat urine. There are art studio's where you can meet the artist that make their work. I happened to fall in love with the hand made wooded pens made by Joe Dion. The artist that owns the studio, The Children's Gallery and Art Center, Natalie, and her husband have several different artist's work there, along with their own art.
Ivana's Artisan carries very nice handbags and other accessories from Colombia, all priced very reasonable. The trees and plants reminded me of a tropical hammock in the Florida keys. For me and my husband, Homestead and the Redlands is always a great place to get away for a weekend, away from the crowds of cars, scooters, bicycles, trash and loud drunks in Key West. Cauley's Square could be better, but it is still worth a visit.

Coconut Creek, Florida
24 attraction reviews
“Misses the mark”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I got the sense that there might be some good music at night, but that's just from all the posters they had up promoting the fact that there's live music at night. We were there mid afternoon on a Friday and there was nothing going on.

There are a few odd art shops that all seem to basically have the same sorts of wares, an exotic bird store, one little frozen drink shop, and a couple restaurants that were completely empty. The buildings are all run down and it's not always immediately obvious about what's open and what's not. As it stands the most interesting thing are all the fat raccoons and cats all over the place. One place we couldn't get within 20 feet of without being overwhelmed by the smell of cat urine. There are a few really interesting sculptures scattered about if you venture off the road just a little bit.

This place is a little far from more major attractions like the Coral Castle and there's really nothing else touristy around, so I'm sure it's hard to draw a crowd, but it has potential. It needs way more diversification in the types of shops. Maybe some sort of small museum to tie in to the history of the place. It needs fixed and cleaned up a little. The empty shops need filled. Parking areas need defined. It could be a really cool place to shop for unique items and have a nice meal, but as it stands, it's not worth stopping.

Visited February 2013
Oxford, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“Nice place for a day visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is an interesting destination, the place is truly “Old Florida”, dark, musty with a lot of old buildings in a colorful setting. The shops are an interesting mix of local and imported art, antiques and eclectic items. We had lunch at the Village Chalet and sat outside with Abbey. The waiter was polite and the food was prepared and served quickly. The fish sandwich was excellent, fresh and tasty. The burger was also great with Buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil. After lunch, we stopped in an antique store. The owner was very friendly and gave us lots of local history (and color) of the Square. All around the square were cats and raccoons just watching the world go by. Unfortunately, there were many places vacant, perhaps a sign of the times but Cauley Square is worth at least one trip while in the area.

Visited February 2013
Lake Worth, Florida
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I brought my girlfriend here, as I remembered it as quaint with good food and service. It's still quaint, but that's all that's the same.

We had a simple order; coffee, tea and ambrosia. The teapot contained lukewarm water. As my girlfriend later said "how can you mess up hot water?". By not heating it sufficiently. The coffee was also lukewarm, frankly just this side of cold.

My girlfriend takes her tea with milk. Our server said they didn't have any. Really? A restaurant that had NO milk? I find that hard to believe.

The ambrosia was "marshmallow soup", again in the words of my girlfriend. At close to $11, you'd think they'd at least make an effort.

I don't know what happened to this place, but save your money. There are so many better places in Miami that deserve your business. The food is unacceptable, the prices are out of line for such poor quality, and the service was lackluster at best.

What a shame. It was once a very nice place.

Visited January 2013
Cutler Bay, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“Excellent slice of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This used to be where railroad workers lived. Today it is little shops full of unique items. There is an antique shop, a tea house, a salon, pet store, food stand. It is a place for OUtdoors Weddings and has a small chapel. Plus about 40 raccoon live by the antique shop. Come on out and browse, stay for dinner have lunch. They usually have live music on the weekends.

Visited February 2012