“Clean and friendly stay in Gainesville” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 25%
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Carolina
“Clean and friendly stay in Gainesville”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center during a recent visit to UF for an interview.

Pros: Overall the accommodations are clean and comfortable. My king bed had new-feeling, clean white linens and the room also had a large flat-screen television. All of the employees that I interacted with were friendly and helpful. The free shuttle service is very convenient - I used the shuttle to get to the hotel from the airport, to get to Shands Hospital in the morning, and to get back to the airport from Shands Hospital; you are encouraged to give advance notice of when you may need the shuttle in the morning. (I noticed that this shuttle service does not appear to be advertised on the hotel's website.) The hotel is located within very easy walking distance to a great local pizza place (right across the street), a Chipotle, and a number of other local eating establishments. I didn't check out the hotel's fitness room, but I did jog near the property and felt safe (and Gainesville is pretty flat, so it was easy jogging around the hotel and campus).

Cons: As other reviewers have noted, the hotel feels old and the walls of my room were thin - I could hear my next-door-neighbor's conversation word for word and I could also hear their television. Fortunately this was in the mid-evening, but by bedtime I didn't notice any noise.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback on the hotel. This surely helps new customers with making a decision to book a room as well as the hotel to assist with making every stay a positive experience. I will follow up with getting the shuttle service information on our website. Thank you for mentioning that. I see you mentioned the hotel feels old, I want to let you know each room has brand new carpet and we are completing 4 more floors of corridor carpet. We have new desk and lounge chairs coming as well as new curtain panels and valance. We are pleased that you would stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I was really impressed by this hotel, much to my surprise. The staff was great, the shuttle from tha airport and to my appointment was very nice, the room was comfortable and spotless, and it was conveniently located. Had great Thai noodles just down the street. I would definitely return.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our staff, convenience shuttle service, clean room and location. On behalf of the staff we agree that the Thai Noodles are great. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The staff was great. They will answer an question, get you a menu from the resturant of your choice. They are really great people. They are working hard to keep up a really old facility. The room was cleaned every day. the lobby was sparkling.

I got locked out of my room becaues of a older door lock.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I believe the word Closed in your title is supposed to be Close? We appreciate your positive comments to our staff. Thank you. We apologize for your door lock concern and will address immediately.
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had a very nice experience at this hotel - very convenient to historic downtown and there is a free shuttle service from the hotel, so i was able to not only have a nice dinner with a cocktail and glass of wine, I did not have to worry abour driving or parking. The staff was very friendly, and gave great advice on local restaurants and places for entertainment. Would recommend this particularly for folks traveling on business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
We appreciate your feedback and wonderful comments. I will be sure to share with our staff. We are pleased that you had a positive experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Gainesville and the Holiday Inn.
Gainesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We recently stayed 3 nights here. Visited with
family from out of town and wanted a hotel close
to Shands Hospital with good restaurants close by.
One family member needed a room close to
an elevator. Our rooms were very nice and
comfortable. The staff was great. Beef O Brady's
is located next to the lobby. Pool is pretty but not
heated. This is a nice hotel for anybody wanting
to be close to the hospital or University of Florida.
(Shuttle to hospital if needed.) If you stay here,
you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to list your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back any time.
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The thing about the Holiday Inn in Gainesville is that the staff are so friendly and always trying to make your stay better. I felt like they were really sincere. We had a few little problems like the hair dryer was broken, but they took care of it immediately. They saw us coming and right away started making cookies for our kids. They just really seemed to care.

Now sure, the place is a little older, but it is well maintained. The carpets were clean. No bad smell. The pool looked really nice, but it was too cold to use while we were there. You could probably stay a little cheaper out on Archer Rd. and we all know the Hilton over by the museums is nicer, but the Holiday Inn has heart and it really is a great location. Only down side is that awful Beef O'Brady's that serves as the hotel restaurant. Go to Noodles and Bagles for breakfast!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WOW! Great Review! Thank you. I am so glad our Team efforts are showing. I apologize for Beef O' Brady's I will let their Management and Owners know. We look forward to welcoming you back any time.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

The staff was great. The hotel provided transportation to and from dinner and was very courteous and helpful. The location is great - close to the University and the airport. The big strike is that it's an old hotel. Wile it looks like it has had some recent work done, it still has older looking decor, small bathrooms (very small), low drop ceilings in the bathroom, cracked wall plaster, stains on the furniture, and an old musty smell in the room. They are doing pretty good with an old building, but there's only so much you can do. Wifi was a bit week and there aren't enough convenient electric outlets. The property was, at best, average.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. Location and Staff is definitely a strong strength for the property. Appreciate your recognition of our staff! We are working on continued renovations for the upcoming year. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center? Share your experiences!