“They try really hard” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lafayette, Louisiana
“They try really hard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The thing about the Holiday Inn in Gainesville is that the staff are so friendly and always trying to make your stay better. I felt like they were really sincere. We had a few little problems like the hair dryer was broken, but they took care of it immediately. They saw us coming and right away started making cookies for our kids. They just really seemed to care.

Now sure, the place is a little older, but it is well maintained. The carpets were clean. No bad smell. The pool looked really nice, but it was too cold to use while we were there. You could probably stay a little cheaper out on Archer Rd. and we all know the Hilton over by the museums is nicer, but the Holiday Inn has heart and it really is a great location. Only down side is that awful Beef O'Brady's that serves as the hotel restaurant. Go to Noodles and Bagles for breakfast!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
WOW! Great Review! Thank you. I am so glad our Team efforts are showing. I apologize for Beef O' Brady's I will let their Management and Owners know. We look forward to welcoming you back any time.

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

The staff was great. The hotel provided transportation to and from dinner and was very courteous and helpful. The location is great - close to the University and the airport. The big strike is that it's an old hotel. Wile it looks like it has had some recent work done, it still has older looking decor, small bathrooms (very small), low drop ceilings in the bathroom, cracked wall plaster, stains on the furniture, and an old musty smell in the room. They are doing pretty good with an old building, but there's only so much you can do. Wifi was a bit week and there aren't enough convenient electric outlets. The property was, at best, average.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. Location and Staff is definitely a strong strength for the property. Appreciate your recognition of our staff! We are working on continued renovations for the upcoming year. Thank you again for your feedback.
homeless
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This Holiday Inn has some great features and very professional and courteous staff. I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last couple of years and I don’t stay anywhere else when I go to Gainesville. Great location right next to UF and you can walk to a lot of places or they have shuttle service. There is guard to watch your car at night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on the Hotel. We are pleased with your comments and are glad that we continue to showcase our Service. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel with my parents multiple times. We've also patronized other hotels in the area, and this is the one we keep going back to. It's the only hotel in Gainesville that you can walk to campus from, which is AWESOME, especially on gameday! (Even though if you don't want to walk, the complimentary shuttle will take you anywhere you need to go, on campus and off!) The other best thing about this hotel is the staff. Top notch, always super helpful! I know the hotel is housed in an older building, but the employees know that and are always trying to work around any issues that they become aware of. Plus, they just recently replaced the carpets- one step at a time!

Room Tip: Let the front desk staff know of your preferences, and if the hotel isn't full, they've alwa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Awesome! We appreciate your positive feedback for the Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center. Yes, your tip was right on. If we know your preferences ahead of time we will do everything we can to accommodate your requests to the best of our ability. Service is our primary goal next to cleanliness. Again thank you so much for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Everything positive written about their customer service is right-on. Great and very welcoming group of people, along with it being an extremely clean and well kept up hotel. The prices were excellent and was an all-in-all pleasant experience. I'd strongly suggest giving this hotel a shot, I will definitely be back myself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
I am so pleased that you found the customer service right on! Thank you so much for expressing your experience while staying at the Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center. We look forward to welcoming you back. Please contact me directly and I will ensure on your next stay that your experience is just as great. gm@theuniversityhotel.com - Kimberly Cason - 352-376-1661
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here back in July to attend UF's Preview Orientation. I booked this hotel because it is literally on the corner of campus and location is the key! I was in contact with the hotel before my arrival because I wanted a late check out (which I was granted). Upon check-in, my room was ready. I went up to my room but my key didn't work.I made my way down to the lobby to let them knowand they gave me another key, which did work. My room was on the 6th floor looking out towards buildings, not a great view but you could see downtown Gainesville in the distance. I noticed right away an awful musty smell so when I went back down to the lobby, I informed them and they said they'd have someone come in and spray. This did cut down on the odor but wouldn't not be good with anyone with strong allergies. The plus side of the room was the large and comfortable king size bed, the flat screen tv, and the mini refridge and microwave. The bathroom was average hotel size but with nice products. Despite these postitives, the hotel room did feel old. They offered two different types of pillows but they were tiny (yet comfortable). The weather was not that great when I was there so I did not get to use the pool.It seemed like a good size but did not have many loungers. I did use their workout room, it was tiny but I was happy to get some type of work out in. The plus of this hotel is its location. I wanted to be able to walk to campus and this was possible. There were plenty of restaurants in walking distance. The front staff was very friendlly and I really appreciated the late check out. I got a good deal and would stay here again if I could get the same price.

Tip:As a former Gainesville resident, I was happy to see that Burrito Brothers was still in business, just in a different location (with nice outside tables). You have got to have one of their burritos with guacamole!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center. I do apologize about your key not working, I know how frustrating that can be when you get up to your room then have to come all the way back down. This is a ongoing battle with all hotels, new and old. Next time you stay with us we can put you on an even side where you have a view of the University. I apologize for the musty smell with the onset of new carpet and fresh paint we hope to eliminate a majority of the musty smell. I am glad you found our staff friendly. Customer service is a strong focus for the hotel and our guests. We hope to have new loungers by spring of next year. Gotta love Burrito Brothers!
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Made the trip from Daytona to Gainesville in order to take my Mom to University of Florida Shands hospital. Warm friendly staff made me feel welcome from the time I arrived until I checked out. I was offered services I didn't even realize they had when I booked (shuttle to hospital). Bright clean rooms and Beef O'Brady's being on site was very convenient. I will return.

Room Tip: I booked 2 rooms on the 4th floor and both were excellent as I'm sure they all are
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and pleased that we met your needs during your stay during a sensitive time. We look forward to welcoming you back and if you did not book your reservation under the Shands special discount please make sure you let the reservationist know that you are here for medical needs at Shands and they can adjust your rate.

Been to Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center? Share your experiences!