“Location in the Key” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Location in the Key”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here back in July to attend UF's Preview Orientation. I booked this hotel because it is literally on the corner of campus and location is the key! I was in contact with the hotel before my arrival because I wanted a late check out (which I was granted). Upon check-in, my room was ready. I went up to my room but my key didn't work.I made my way down to the lobby to let them knowand they gave me another key, which did work. My room was on the 6th floor looking out towards buildings, not a great view but you could see downtown Gainesville in the distance. I noticed right away an awful musty smell so when I went back down to the lobby, I informed them and they said they'd have someone come in and spray. This did cut down on the odor but wouldn't not be good with anyone with strong allergies. The plus side of the room was the large and comfortable king size bed, the flat screen tv, and the mini refridge and microwave. The bathroom was average hotel size but with nice products. Despite these postitives, the hotel room did feel old. They offered two different types of pillows but they were tiny (yet comfortable). The weather was not that great when I was there so I did not get to use the pool.It seemed like a good size but did not have many loungers. I did use their workout room, it was tiny but I was happy to get some type of work out in. The plus of this hotel is its location. I wanted to be able to walk to campus and this was possible. There were plenty of restaurants in walking distance. The front staff was very friendlly and I really appreciated the late check out. I got a good deal and would stay here again if I could get the same price.

Tip:As a former Gainesville resident, I was happy to see that Burrito Brothers was still in business, just in a different location (with nice outside tables). You have got to have one of their burritos with guacamole!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center. I do apologize about your key not working, I know how frustrating that can be when you get up to your room then have to come all the way back down. This is a ongoing battle with all hotels, new and old. Next time you stay with us we can put you on an even side where you have a view of the University. I apologize for the musty smell with the onset of new carpet and fresh paint we hope to eliminate a majority of the musty smell. I am glad you found our staff friendly. Customer service is a strong focus for the hotel and our guests. We hope to have new loungers by spring of next year. Gotta love Burrito Brothers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Made the trip from Daytona to Gainesville in order to take my Mom to University of Florida Shands hospital. Warm friendly staff made me feel welcome from the time I arrived until I checked out. I was offered services I didn't even realize they had when I booked (shuttle to hospital). Bright clean rooms and Beef O'Brady's being on site was very convenient. I will return.

Room Tip: I booked 2 rooms on the 4th floor and both were excellent as I'm sure they all are
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and pleased that we met your needs during your stay during a sensitive time. We look forward to welcoming you back and if you did not book your reservation under the Shands special discount please make sure you let the reservationist know that you are here for medical needs at Shands and they can adjust your rate.
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at the hotel on November 6, 2012. The best part of the experience was the shuttle service to and from the airport, and also to my business meeting nearby. It seems that more and more hotels no longer offer this service, so it was a welcomed plus. The driver both days, Robert, is to be commended for excellent customer service. He looked professional, acted professionally, was very prompt, and just a nice person. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are glad the shuttle service met your needs and most important was available during the times you needed it. I am very pleased that you mentioned Robert the bellman. I will ensure that he is recognized for his Excellent Customer Service! We look forward to welcoming you back. If you need anything please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just an overnight on one of our bi-annual visits to Shands as the Hampton declined to honor a discount agreement. We had stayed in this particular Holiday Inn before, many years ago, when our eldest son entered the U. This stay we found an upgraded hotel with excellent, clean, bright rooms and a very comfortable bed. We agree that the old-style in-window A/C was noisy and we too, shut it off to sleep.

But the other negatives expressed in the reviews from other members were outside of our experience. We had a great room, marvelous and prompt room service service and all the staff we met )on a Sunday) were very welcoming and pleasant. Good value too!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Welcome back! We are glad you have noticed some of the changes. We still have many more to come in the upcoming months. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your experience. This allows us to address concerns, and to continue what we are doing right and adjust what we are doing wrong. Again thank you for your wonderful comments.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in Holiday Inn hotels in the past, I was expecting a certain standard of the Holiday Inn at University Center, Gainesville.

Negatives: dated room, no main light switch just a large lamp, small bathroom for a double room, gym was basic and cramped, air con unit was so loud that we had to turn to turn it off which defeats the object in such hot climates.

Positives: friendly and helpful spring desk staff, free shuttle bus service laid on by the hotel to the airport for the festival we had attended in Gainesville which was a nice touch.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on the Hotel. Yes, we are an older hotel and understand there are many choices when visiting Gainesville from brand new hotels to older hotels, motels to Bed and Breakfasts, limited service to full service brands. As with older hotels there only lamps in the rooms, so not too much I can do about the light switches nor any older hotel, same with the smaller bathrooms, most older hotels do have smaller bathrooms. Window unit AC's are noisy than central Units which you will find in newer properties. Gym, basic and cramped...We are looking to relocate the center to a larger location in the near future. It appears that a brand new hotel would better fit your needs. Please contact me directly if you have any other details you would like to discuss. 352-376-1661.
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Headed to Gainesville for the football game on October 22, 2012. Tried to book a room on-line and it said no rooms available after it let me purchase room. I called the hotel and Linda was more than helpful in getting us a room at the last minute. Once we arrived the hotel guests were only allowed one parking pass per room and we had two cars. Linda once again went out of her way to allow the room to have two parking passes. I spoke with Linda and thanked her for everything she had done and she made it seem like it was nothing. As small as it was to her everything she did for us that weekend was a huge deal to us and made our stay quite enjoyable. The hotel was clean and the rest of the staff was friendly as well. If you are ever in Gainesville and need a place to stay, I highly recommend the Holiday Inn and see Linda, she will take care of you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
We appreciate your feedback. Thank you so much. I will be sure that Linda is recognized for her excellent customer service. As a supervisor Linda does an excellent job modeling the behavior for all staff members. I am so glad you had a great experience from a clean room, friendly staff and great service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The overall hotel was great. I am a Part time MBA student and come up one weekend a month. The service here is absolutely wonderful. Each time I walk in, they are friendly and helpful. Mike, from the front desk, is always especially helpful. On non-gameday weekends the room rates are typical for such a great location. I choose this hotel because it is within walking distance to campus, restaurants, and the stadium.
On gameday weekends, the prices are double. The rooms themselves are severely outdated. They remind of an hotel from the 90's. While the rooms are clean, they definitely are not worth the 200 or more dollars they charge on gamedays.
Overall, the hotel is great. I would recommend it for anyone staying in town and doing anything with the University. Go Gators!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kimberly C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. MBA's are a huge part of our hotel and we welcome each program. I am glad our service met your expectations. That is very important to us. I will be sure to share your review with Mike. Our location is key as you mentioned. You mentioned our rooms being outdated. This year alone we have replaced all in room carpet, added microwave and refrigerators and added flat screen TV's which include Cox cable and HD channels. As far as the rate variance as with most products there is a supply and demand. During peak times we do offer premium rates as well as every hotel in the Gainesville area. There are many choices to stay while in town and every guest has the right to shop around and choose a hotel that fits their needs. Rates are not hidden and are publicly published. We look forward to welcoming you during your classes and understand if you choose not to stay with us during peak times based on your rate concern. In Closing thank you so much for your kind words and recommendation!

Been to Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center? Share your experiences!