“Mediocre Overnight Stay in Gainesville” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Mediocre Overnight Stay in Gainesville”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family's overnight stay at the Gainesville Courtyard for the night of June 8, 2013 was not one of the more memorable Marriott visits we've had. While this hotel stay was only intended to be a way-station on the drive down to our final destination of Bradenton, FL / Bradenton Courtyard (which turned out to be great and comfortable stay), I must say that I felt more tired after our night's stay at this hotel.

While the room was quite spacious and had space for my wife and two small children, the room itself felt outdated and worn. The toilet and tub area smelled musty, and the bathroom door would not open completely, bumping into the toilet. The set-up of the outside sink area felt awkward and old.

As far as our sleeping arrangement was concerned, I ordered a roll away bed for my 8 year old son to sleep on. We could feel the mattress springs coming through, which my son complained about.

Overall, the overall feeling of not being comfortable in a hotel room was what distinguished this Courtyard visit. I would not rate this Courtyard very highly, although the Tripadvisor reviews are fairly decent. On the other hand, the Bradenton Courtyard Riverwalk is a property that has mediocre Tripadvisor reviews, and was the portion of my family's Florida trip that I was not looking forward to. The Bradenton Courtyard actually turned out to be a gem, and it's one property that my wife and I wouldn't mind going back to!

I realize that hotels along the interstates probably have a tough time of keeping up with appearances and cleanliness, as they're mainly used for one night visits, but I assume if a hotel has the Marriott and Courtyard name, the quality of the hotel and room will be of the same high standard throughout. Unfortunately, the Gainesville Courtyard will not see us returning when traveling through Florida.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AsstGMA, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Gainesville, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
I'd like to thank you for your honest feedback regarding your stay with us. I do apologize that we were unable to provide you with a more positive experience during your stay.

Our goal is to always provide the best possible experience for our guests, and I regret that we were unable to do so during your time with us. Your comments are taken very seriously and please know that I will work with my team to prevent a similar instance in the future.

Though I cannot reverse your experience, please know that I value your loyalty to Marriott and to the Courtyard brand of hotels. It is my hope that you will continue to use us for your lodging needs in the future. If your travels ever bring you to Gainesville in the future, I would appreciate the opportunity to provide you with the type of stay you've come to expect from a Marriott property.

Again, I aprpeciate your feedback.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Overnight stay for high school reunion, the Courtyard was perfect. Super clean and efficient, helpful front desk, conveniently located. At $140/night, seemed a little expensive. Only complaint might be the number of unsupervised kids running loudly through the halls.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel! I will most certainly share your feedback with my team. They work very hard every day to provide a great experience for our guests, and I know they will appreciate your review comments.

Please come back and visit us again in the future!

Thank you!
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This property does have the upgraded lobby which are nice additions to the MC brand however the room was dated and was in need of an upgrade. Just off the UF campus the room just felt like it had seen it share of Gator weekends, not that it was shabby or unclean, just due for a makeover.

Nice staff but at $160/night with tax, I think without the upgraded rooms, the value is just not there. As an aside this was a bit hard to find...its across from the Target plaza tucked behind a steak and shake.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your comments completely. My team and I take every opportunity to learn and grow the way in which we serve our guests. It is from feedback like yours that we can accomplish this!

We would love to welcome you back again in the future if your travels should bring you to Gainesville again. We would appreciate having the opportunity to have you stay with us again.

Thank you!
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here in late April 2013 because we were taking my daughter to visit the University of Florida. Great location to restaurants and campus. The area that this hotel is located in is a very busy area with a lot to do, and traffic can be fairly intense, so plan accordingly by allowing some extra time to get to your destination. I was a little concerned when I booked this hotel that its close proximity to the interstate might make for a tough nights sleep, but the hotel is actually nestled in a secluded cul de sac, surrounded by trees, which gives it sort of an oasis feel. In addition, the fan in the room masks any external noise and so we had a great nights sleep. Highly recommended for families visiting the college.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AsstGMA, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Gainesville, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! I am very pleased that your experience with us was a pleasant one. My team and I strive to provide a "family feel" for all of our guests, specifically our fellow GATORS! If there is anything that you think we can do better, please feel free to share it. Our guests feedback is very important to us. Again, thank you for your comments.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We decided to try staying at a Courtyard, having just become Rewards members. The price was a little high, but we figured that's because it's a college town. We've been spoiled by all inclusive hotels, so we were surprised to learn that breakfast is not included in the price of the room. The consolation was they they serve Starbuck's coffee, which we don't like anyway. The staff was friendly. Even though the hotel is just off I-75, the room was quiet-the pool area not so much. The toilet in the bathroom was very loud when flushed and the handle had to be "jiggled" to stop the water from running. The bathroom door stuck, and made a loud noise when opened or closed. The next time we travel in the area we will probably continue onto another exit on the interstate.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front quieter than those in the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AsstGMA, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Gainesville, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I'd like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent stay.
I am very sorry that you encountered issues in your room while you stayed with us. We strive to make every guest as comfortable as possible each day, and each stay. I apologize that your experience was affected.
I value all feedback from our guests and appreciate your kind and honest review. If your travels bring you to Gainesville again in the future, please consider joining us here again at the Gainesville Courtyard by Marriott.
Tarpon Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here on business. I am a frequent Marriott customer with Platinum Status. Over the last year or so I have seen a decline in the quality of the Courtyard properties. This hotel had an upgraded lobby as many of the Courtyards do, however the rooms need updating. The room was clean, just dated. The staff was friendly and have not complaints from customer service. I don't think I will be staying in a Courtyard hotel as my first choice anymore. Spring Hill Suites, Residence Inn, and even Fairfield Inn's are a better choice. I will be returning to the area soon and have already booked the Residence Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property.
Though I am sorry to hear that you have made alternate arrangements for your travels to Gainesville I would like to sincerely thank you for your input. I take great pride in the team we have here on property and am pleased that we were able to provide you with excellent customer service during your stay.
We are currently in the process of fully converting our property to the Courtyard "Refreshing Business" concept, including our guest rooms. I would hope that in the future you would think of choosing my hotel again once this conversion is completed.
Again, thank you for your kind and honest feedback!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

From the moment I walked in the door, I was greeted with a warm smile. Every person from the 1st floor maid to the Asst GM was smiling and very pleasant. I would recommend this CBM to anyone staying in Gainesville. The 2 room suite is the way to go with kids.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AsstGMA, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Gainesville, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post about our Hotel!
I'm very glad that you experienced the best that our team can offer travellers in Gainesville. We definitely try to achieve a "family" feel in everything we do!
Whenever your travels bring you back to Gainesville, please know that we would be happy to have you stay with us again.

Thank you again!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Gainesville? Share your experiences!