“terrific value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
florida
“terrific value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Even with a $2.50/day resort fee and taxes, my room was under $60 using AAA discount. It's been a number of years since I stayed at this property and I believe it was a Sheraton then. I was very pleased with our stay. Excellent service, nice size room with a lakeview balcony. The pool is resort size and only had a few people in it when we were there. I had noticed some reviews complained about wireless. I asked when we checked in and we stayed in the 1000 building with no problems at all. Looking at other Gainesville options, the only thing close to this price would be a mom and pop motel or a budget hotel at the interstate and I much prefer something closer to town with some character.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our location. We strive to provide the best value for our guests in Gainesville while still providing all the latest amenities (wireless internet, business center, shuttle service, and fitness center.) Many of our guests do thoroughly enjoy the Paramount Plaza's scenic location on the lake and I am happy to read that you were able to get a lakefront room. I was also thrilled to read that we will be your hotel of choice when in the Gainesville area. Again, thank you for staying with us and sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor community.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Oneonta, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

My Fraternity brothers met up in Gainesville over the forth of July weekend and had a great stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful with information about the area. We enjoyed having drinks out by the pool and just being able to hang out and socialize in a comfortable setting. My thanks to Dan and his staff for setting us up with a nice reception area at the last minute, the food was fantastic!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for spending your 4th of July weekend at the Paramount Plaza while visiting with old friends. Our staff works to provide excellent customer service to all of our valued guests and I am glad to read that we were able to set up a reception for your reunion at the last minute. If you are ever in need of lodging in Gainesville, I hope we will be your first choice.
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Came in town for the weekend to visit some friends and couldn't be happier with my experience at the Paramount Plaza. The front desk was friendly and got me quickly checked in. They also let me know of some fun events going on in the area for the 4th. The room was immaculate and very comfortable. Nothing beats the view of the lake outside our window! The breakfast in the morning was delicious and the staff was very friendly- especially for being there so early. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone- it's close to downtown yet far enough away that you don't have to deal with traffic and the interstate is easily accessible! Thanks Paramount for making my weekend so wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
It makes me happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our property. Our front desk staff is trained to provide the quickest check in and check out process as possible and to assist guests with suggestions of things to do while visiting the area. I am also happy to read that the room was clean and the view was lovely. I look forward to your staying with us again in the future.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Very large old run down hotel in old part of town. Great place to find a hooker or a drug deal. Stay away unless this is what you want. I am telling it like it is This property is misrepresented by the pictures and reviews on the internet. Sorry but I am telling it like I saw it. I checked in apprehensively and then left immediately because I did not feel secure or comfortable there. I only hope I can get my money back, but I would have paid to get out of there..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
The Paramount Plaza is located less then one mile away from the University of Florida and Shands hospital, which is not a run down part of Gainesville. We do not allow local residents, nor do we allow hookers and drug dealers. We are staffed 24 hours a day and feature well lit parking lots, hallways and rooms. We also require a key card to access any guest building, no matter what time of day. Many guests do throroughly enjoy the property and do not feel it is misrepresented. Either way, any guest who is not happy with their room is always allowed to check out without penalty.
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Just when I think it can't possibly get any better; each time I visit, it somehow does! This is by far my number one hotel to stay in for the outstanding service, the elagant rooms, fantastic restaurant, and beautiful pool and lake view. I'm honestly so impressed with how wonderful this last weekends stay was that I'm finding it hard to put into words. This hotel has such a welcoming staff that you feel at home. Paramount is by far the nicest, most affordable place and I would highly recommend it! Whatever your reasons to travel may be, you must check out this outstanding hotel, and I can promise you that you will wish that you could stay longer!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Thank you so much for staying with the Paramount Plaza and taking the time to share your thoughts with other travelers. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the scenic view and our customer service. If you are ever in the Gainesville area again I hope that you stay with us.
Asheville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Wow. Just awful. I stayed here for two nights after I won a Priceline bid, and it makes me think long and hard about ever using the Priceline "name your own price" option again. At least in Gainesville. If I hadn't paid in advance I would have left immediately. After reading a bunch of other reviews, I have come to the conclusion of a few other reviewers: if you have booked through Priceline or have any other discounts, you will be placed in the old building where the walls are paper thin, the toilets clog regularly, and you shower in standing water b/c the drain is clogged. I was happy that they had wireless internet until I tried to log on, and could not. I called down to the front desk and reported the problem, and they claimed it was the first they've heard of it. It was never fixed and I ended up having to drive around to find a wireless Hotspot. When I got home and read more reviews I found out that many people in the "discount" building had trouble with their internet...as well as a mysterious charge of anywhere from $2.50 to $10 from the hotel. I immediately checked my bank account and sure enough, the hotel had charged me $5.60 for...???
I called and was told that it is an "amenity fee" charged per night. I asked what kind of amenities and was told : "Oh you know, the shuttle, the business conference center, the wireless internet. Stuff like that." I told her that I didn't use any of that stuff AND as a matter of fact I hadn't been able to use the internet. The lady was very nice and told me that it's a charge they charge everyone, but she'd connect me to the manager to have the fee refunded since the internet didn't work. The manager did call me back to let me know he had refunded the fee, and he was very nice as well...but to me this REEKS of scam. One of those fees that they don't explain to you at check in, and then hope that you'll never notice or do anything about b/c it seems too much hassle to dispute a small amount. Let's say they are fully booked: that's 197 (rooms) times the $2.50 amenity fee= almost $500 per night!!! Plus...how exactly do you advertise that something is free and then sneakily charge for it?? Can you say false advertising???
Very low -rent Paramount Plaza! Penny wise/pound foolish.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
I apologize that your stay was not enjoyable. However, I can promise you that we do not assign Priceline or any other third party bookings to a specific building, or room. The room assignments are done as the guest checks in and the clerk assigns a room and no consideration is given as to the origin of the reservation. We did have an internet issue in one our buildings which has since been fixed. Additionally, the amenity fee (which is disclosed by Priceline) is also explained to each guest at check in and the registration card signed by our guests also explains this fee. It is similar to a resort fee, but is only $2.50. However, we will always refund this fee to any guest who asks.
Pembroke Pines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

I have stayed at the Paramount several times because the location is excellent; close to everything yet secluded enough to be relaxing. The staff are all friendly and extremely helpful and seem to enjoy guests staying at their hotel. Great value for your money.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Paramount Plaza and taking the time to submit your thoughts. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. We try to provide the best value for our guests, while still providing excellent customer service and I am happy to read that you received both.

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!