I was nervous about winning this hotel on Priceline after reading some of the negative reviews, but my husband & I were very pleased with the hotel.
Parking was at a premium on Saturday night & one may have to walk a bit to their room. Although the hotel was packed, we didn't feel crammed except in the parking lot. It is true that some of the furniture & carpets are older, but we found everything to be clean. Some complained the TV’s are not flat screens, but we rarely watch TV when traveling, so this was fine with us. We did stay in the 1000 bldg. & perhaps this building is reserved for folks that use the discount sites, but we found everything ok. There are several different buildings & at first confusing.
My one complaint was that the rooms seem to be mostly 2 double beds, with a shortage of queens & kings. We adapted to this & it was not bothersome enough not stay here again.
The palm trees surrounding the pool are decorated with white lights around the trunks & look very tropical at night. There were a couple of weddings & family reunions taking place, but we barely noticed the crowds or any noise. We bought a bottle of wine at the bar & went outside on the terrace & enjoyed watching the parties & listening to piped in music from the "Sinatra era". Be aware that room service & the restaurant/bar prices are HOTEL prices. We did not eat here, but the restaurant looked inviting.
There is a lovely lake by the hotel, but taking a walk down by it, we noticed a gap under the gate area & then saw a sign advising us, “Do Not to Feed the Gators”, thus deciding to go back up by the pool.
There is not much around this area & you may have to drive to your destinations. My husband did take a walk on Sunday a.m. over to the University & thought it was about a mile each way.
We took a drive to Micanopy on Sunday. I recommend this as a look at what Old Florida was like. There is a restaurant/gas station/convenience store called "Pearl Country Store" that I highly recommend for the best BBQ. I have written a longer review on this site under Pearl's.
Also want to mention the staff was very cheerful, accommodating, & helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Paramount Plaza Hotel and Conference Center stands out amongst the best accommodations in Gainesville, Florida. Bordered by the picturesque Bivens Arm Lake Nature Preserve, the hotel is Gainesville's only lakefront hotel, offering a taste of Florida the way it used to be. Renovated in 2012-13, the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Conference Center offers full-service Gainesville hotel lodging at surprisingly affordable rates. Convenient Gainesville Hotel Location The Paramount Plaza is ideally located only minutes from Gainesville's most important and popular attractions and venues, such as the University of Florida, the Butterfly Rain forest, Paynes Prairie State Park, the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, and Shands Teaching Hospital at The University of Florida. The hotel is a short drive North of historic Micanopy and antique shopping, and just a few miles from downtown Gainesville. Each of our 197 large NON-SMOKING, comfortable guest rooms and suites are designed to meet your Gainesville accommodation needs. Our guest rooms are larger than most hotels in the area, which leaves you with plenty of space to create your home away from home. In-room guest amenities include coffee makers, wireless Internet access, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards. Unwind on one of our comfortable pillow-top beds and catch up on your relaxation with remote controlled cable television. The Paramount Plaza offers free shuttle services from 7:30 a.M. To 5:30 p.M. Daily upon scheduling at check-in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paramount Plaza Hotel And Suites
- Paramount Plaza Hotel Gainesville
- Paramount Gainesville
- Gainesville Paramount