“A nice bargain in Gainesville.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Deltona, Fl
“A nice bargain in Gainesville.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I was nervous about winning this hotel on Priceline after reading some of the negative reviews, but my husband & I were very pleased with the hotel.
Parking was at a premium on Saturday night & one may have to walk a bit to their room. Although the hotel was packed, we didn't feel crammed except in the parking lot. It is true that some of the furniture & carpets are older, but we found everything to be clean. Some complained the TV’s are not flat screens, but we rarely watch TV when traveling, so this was fine with us. We did stay in the 1000 bldg. & perhaps this building is reserved for folks that use the discount sites, but we found everything ok. There are several different buildings & at first confusing.
My one complaint was that the rooms seem to be mostly 2 double beds, with a shortage of queens & kings. We adapted to this & it was not bothersome enough not stay here again.
The palm trees surrounding the pool are decorated with white lights around the trunks & look very tropical at night. There were a couple of weddings & family reunions taking place, but we barely noticed the crowds or any noise. We bought a bottle of wine at the bar & went outside on the terrace & enjoyed watching the parties & listening to piped in music from the "Sinatra era". Be aware that room service & the restaurant/bar prices are HOTEL prices. We did not eat here, but the restaurant looked inviting.
There is a lovely lake by the hotel, but taking a walk down by it, we noticed a gap under the gate area & then saw a sign advising us, “Do Not to Feed the Gators”, thus deciding to go back up by the pool.
There is not much around this area & you may have to drive to your destinations. My husband did take a walk on Sunday a.m. over to the University & thought it was about a mile each way.
We took a drive to Micanopy on Sunday. I recommend this as a look at what Old Florida was like. There is a restaurant/gas station/convenience store called "Pearl Country Store" that I highly recommend for the best BBQ. I have written a longer review on this site under Pearl's.
Also want to mention the staff was very cheerful, accommodating, & helpful.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2010
Thank you very much for staying at the Paramount Plaza and taking the time to write such a nice review. Our parking lot does sometimes get crammed on weekends because of events and guests staying with us, but our guests can always find a spot. Our hotel restaurant is putting out a new menu this week that will be much more affordable for our guests, while still providing excellent quality and a variety of choices. Many of our guests do enjoy the scenic view our pool provides and the classic music that is played on the veranda and poolside. Again, thank you very much for taking the time to submit this survey and have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

We pre-paid for our 2 nights in advance to get the best deal. When we checked in, we were "upgraded" to an end room with a balcony that overlooked the lake; what a beautiful view from room 1204. We watched through the live oaks with Spanish moss as the alligators swim by, the herons feeding, and even saw a pilleated woodpecker one morning. Th only bummer these days is that there was no continental bkfst, although the $2.99 charge for continental buffet is not too bad.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
It is nice to read that you were given a complimentary upgrade during your stay, we try to randomly choose a few guests each day to upgrade as a surprise for them at check in. While we do not provide a complimentary continental breakfast, we do strive to make it as afforadable as possible. Thank you for the review!
Lake Worth, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I was hoping to have a better experience in this hotel. Though the website photos accurately depicted the room, the carpet was digusting and felt dirty on my feet. i wore my flipflops the whole time. Also, the tub had stains, the towels were tiny, hard and stained too. I stayed in 1000 building and it needs renovation. The long hallways were not air conditioned and were musty. If there was a better option that night, i would have left.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
I apologize that your stay was not what you had hoped and that your expectations were not met. I can assure you that dirty carpets and unairconditioned hallways are not the norm for our hotel. We are in the process of renovating different sections of the hotel, and I can gurantee a much more enjoyable stay next time.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

During my stay I was greeted by a very friendly staff in a very timely manner.
I was given my key and was told where my room was
When I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised the size of the room and the comfort of the bed.
It was a bargin for me because I own my own business.
I will stay there every time I'm in Gainesville

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your kind comments about our property. Our staff works to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable experience, and I am glad to read that our staff did not disappoint. Our standard rooms are some on the larger ones in Gainesville, and I am happy to read that you enjoyed the pillow top mattress. Hopefully next time you are in Gainesville you will consider us again.
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

The Paramount Plaza has many things I like when traveling: employees that are considerate and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable, a wonderful bar and restaurant so food is within close proximity while recovering from surgery, and the housekeeping staff is very detail oriented and thorough. The hotel has a nice pool area as well, and is protected by a fence from a large lake that alligators frequent. This is important to me because I love to take photographs. Overall, I have stayed there twice in three years, and it is my favorite hotel in Gainesville.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Respectfully,

Richard Arnold
Rooms Division Manager
(352) 377-4000
Richard@paramountplaza.com
Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

Close to everthing in gainesville, 3 mins from UF, beds are pillow top and you hardly want to get up in the morning. Bathrooms very clean.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Your review is greatly appreciated. Many of our guests do enjoy our close proximity to UF and Shands hospital. I am also glad to read that you enjoyed the room and bed. Have a great day!
Oak Hill, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

I have travelled to Gainesville for the past year and stayed at many of the local hotels and recently was refered to the Paramount Plaza. I normally dread my stays because I am unable to get a good night sleep, but i must say the beds here are awsome. This allows me to rest and finish my business and not be fatigued when I return home. The desk has been great for finishing paperwork. The water pressure is great, like isaid rest and erejuvination you will get with this place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
I am glad to read that you were able to get a good nights rest during your stay with us. Many guests throroughly enjoy our pillow top mattresses. I was also glad to read that you enjoyed the water pressure in the room and that our Front Desk staff was able to help you with your paperwork. If ever you are in the Gainesville area again, I hope that you stay with us.

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!