“Unbelievably Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Marietta, Georgia
“Unbelievably Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The Paramount Plaza Hotel and Suites in Gainesville, Florida, gets my highest recommendation. In fact, I make it a point to travel to Gainesville (about a 6 hour drive from my home in Georgia) about twice per year just to spend a few days staying at the Paramount Plaza!

I first visited Gainesville in 2009 on work-related business and made the fortuitous choice of choosing to stay at the Paramount Plaza. I immediately fell in love with the serene beauty of the place. The lakefront rooms are so beautiful and peaceful. They have balconies that overlook a peaceful lake where you will see lots of wildlife such as exotic birds and alligators as you sit on the balcony and enjoy your morning coffee. The great thing is that this hotel is right at the southern edge of Gainesville and only about a mile from the University of Florida campus. I have walked to the campus many times from the Paramount Plaza but, for those who don't want to walk, there is a very reliable free shuttle that the hotel provides that will drive you to the campus, the airport, or anywhere in town. All of the hotel staff, from the management to the desk staff to the restaraunt staff to the cleaning staff are extremely courteous and friendly. I have had experience after experience where staff people have gone out of their way to provide above and beyond service - such as the time that one of the cleaning staff chased me out to my car as I was about to leave the hotel to give me something that I had accidentally left in my room when I was checking out. On my most recent visit, which was the weekend after Thanksgiving 2014, management staff Marcel, Mark and Billy really went above and beyond the call of duty to make my visit very enjoyable.

During 2010-2014, my daughter was a student at the University of Florida and that gave me a good "excuse" to go to Gainesville twice per year. She has graduated this year (May 2014) but I don't need any excuses to keep travelling to Gainesville. I will keep going there to enjoy the great experience of staying at the Paramount Plaza!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I'm glad others have had good experiences, but sadly this was not the case with us.

The building is clearly quite old and in need of updates and repairs.

Minor mistakes I understand and can accept (they left two roll away beds in the room instead of one). But to be on hold for over five minutes waiting for the front desk to pick up the phone is unacceptable. I even called the other extensions to no avail, and the lady who was at the restaurant (ten feet from the front desk) said there's nothing they can do to help.

This went on for forty five minutes and no one answered. Finally i walked to the front desk and had someone call the front. He simply ignored the phone. I waited for my turn and he didn't seem bothered this place was not providing service.

I then got the blankets, but instead of apologizing, when I forgot my room number, he derides me loudly and in front of other guests, scoffing and saying "wow." We stayed the night of the 19th of December and it happened at 23:00.

I've managed a front desk of a 600+ room hotel. Things get busy but above all, customer service. This was my first stay here, and certainly my last.

It's disappointing mostly because the catering and food service was excellent.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had to make a sudden trip to Gainesville to Shands Hospital for a sick family member and I needed a hotel for the night. I checked reviews on the available hotels close to the hospital and I was very discouraged by them. Then I found the Paramount Plaza and took a chance. Glad I did!! It was very reasonably priced (discounts for Shands Hospital family members) and when I arrived in my room it was so spacious and a little surprise .. a balcony - not that I needed it but it was nice to see. I quickly crashed and was pleased to enjoy a comfy bed and a clean bathroom for my quick exit the next morning. Thank You.
I hate to say but there was a "funky" smell in the lobby..scared me a little but glad I overlooked as room was fine. Hope they fix that.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is perfect. The room was spacious, spotless, and a small balcony overlooking a little lake surrounded with moss draped live oaks. The courtyard along the lake has a fire pit and benches. The bar/restaurant was great. I have never said that about a hotel before. It smelled like my mom's kitchen and had a simple, affordable delicious supper special (shepherd's pie) along with happy hour drinks. It is perfect because of priorities...the carpet is not brand new, the restaurant is not steak and lobster, and the staff are not abundant. Everything that is important is attended to and the hard-working staff who are running around are also a bunch of comedians! Such cheerful, quick-witted staff at this hotel. Even staff coming in from the parking lot going to/from work were cheerful and polite, all-the-while opening doors. It was almost surreal. Did I mention it is crazy affordable and a great location a minute from UF? I am racking my brain trying to think of a reason I need to go stay in Gainesville again.

Room Tip: They have rooms with lakeviews and small balconies.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I am originally from Gainesville , Florida and this hotel used to be the cream of the crop and still is! First and foremost: My Girlfriend and I arrived 5 hours before check in and were told if we came back within an hour that we would be able to check in early! (I actually called beforehand and was told that if we arrived around 12pm then we would be able to check in , instead of the standard 3pm).We went shopping and came back and our room still was not ready (Standard king with a view of Bivens Arms), So intern they upgraded our room to their largest King Sized Room with a view of the lake for no extra charge! At first I was a little disappointed because they were planning to upgrade us at an additional charge, but The desk clerk made it clear that there wasn't an extra charge! They upgraded us to a room with a living room, sleeper couch, which was well welcomed! I had a very nice experience and so did my girlfriend (Her first time ever visiting Gainesville). If you plan on finding a hotel to stay at in Gainesville for the holidays, or Travel? This would be the one!

Although Im late on posting this review: We actually stayed here during Thanksgiving. After finding a discount coupon online , the room was more than feasible and only an extra $10 for a lake view.

Room Tip: If you have children, I would suggest a 2nd floor room, just because Bivens Arms does have alligator...
Green Features: I noticed the maintenance man cleaning the pool on Thanksgiving day (having a CPO license and knowing that pools have to be serviced 3X a day , speaks in numbers!) Which is well welcomed
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Had our Christmas dinner here again this year. Mark McClain and his staff are wonderful. They treated us far better then expected. We will be holding our dinner here again next year if they will has us. Several of us stayed in the hotel the night of the dinner and rooms are clean and neat. Food at our party was great and service was outstanding. Thank you again for a wonderful night.

Stayed December 2014
Middletown, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Staying at Paramount was not a planned thing when coming to Florida, but it has been an awesome place to stay and i highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the area. The staff is very welcoming and friendly from the front desk, restaurant staff, housekeeping and the maintenance end. As soon as we came here we were greeted by a very nice man name Travis at the front desk. He has been very helpful while leading us to places to see and go around Gainesville. Billy the front desk manager was also very sweet and helpful during our stay. The housekeepers are as sweet as can be and never a bother! The hotel also has a shuttle van that can take you around Gainesville area to the places you need to go. Marcel, the driver of one of the shuttles has been our savior throughout our stay! He has led us to all the great places to go and places to eat in the Gainesville area. Marcel is very high spirited, personable guy who has been a pleasure to be around :) Once again I highly recommend Paramount Plaza as a place to stay, you wont be disappointed!

Green Features: All staff from all ends are extremely friendly! I highly recommend Paramount Plaza as a place to stay, you wont be disappointed! The staff is very welcoming and friendly from the front desk, restaurant staff, housekeeping and the maintenance end.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!