“First time staying here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #10 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“First time staying here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have traveled many times to Gainesville first time staying here pros close to hospital great shuttle service excellent nice driver nice cool room unlike a lot of hotels when u set your air condition low it stays low no sensors in this room which I hate u fall asleep to wake up in a hot room nice flat screen TV liked the bed a little hard softer is my preference nice grounds and very nice lake around the grounds overall I liked the hotel and the room cons my patio was not usable so many dead bugs once in a while it should get cleaned noise its noisy older hotel u can hear every door open and close lots of little children making noise why they are up past 12 mn who knows but I blame the parents letting them run in the hall luckily I stay up late one thing that helped me is I brought my noisy fan drowned out all noise another issue is the connecting door to another room very loose each time they went out and in their room my inside door made noise like someone was trying too get in I put the chair there solved that issue will I stay again yes the location to hospital is great the shuttle to hospital great but I would ask for maybe a room at the farthest end of hall or make sure u have your noisy fan

Room Tip: Anything quiet end of hall who knows
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for leaving us a review about your stay here at the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites! I'm so glad you enjoyed staying with us. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new carpet, furniture, mattresses, microwaves, and mini-fridges. We are also updating our lobby and elevators in our buildings. Please feel free to contact us directly so you can see our progress next time you are in Gainesville!

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
DeLand, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was in town on business and stayed for 2 nights. I found the hotel to be clean, comfortable, and well appointed. I had a lakeview room and it was enjoyable to sit out on the balcony watching the wildlife. I did not have the opportunity to use the amenities as I had a full schedule but I am sure they were as nice as the room. The front desk staff was helpful, polite, and courteous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place to stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: I had a second floor facing the lake and loved it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us but it sounds like you missed a lot of what our property has to offer. Our amenities are what really sets us apart from other hotels. We offer a shuttle service to and from the airport, the hospital, and the University of Florida. We have a newly renovated fitness center along with a guest business center and Wifi access in all of our rooms. Our lobby is also home to the Lakeside Bar & Grill, which offers a daily hot breakfast buffet and evening happy hour specials. Make sure you contact us again when you're in the Gainesville area and we'll find you the lowest available rate.

Waycross
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Nothing fancy, just a nice clean room with two queens for our family of four. The AC worked great, the water pressure in the shower was wonderful, and the TV worked. I didn't check out any of the other facilities but for our one night stay it fulfilled our needs perfectly. Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I wish you had time to check out our amenities. We have a renovated fitness center, a lakeside pool, a shuttle service that runs to and from the airport, the university, and the hospital, and a business center. I hope you choose to stay with us again because we offer the best deal in town! Contact us directly and we'll make a reservation for you in our newly renovated rooms featuring new carpet, mattresses, furniture, mini-fridges, and microwaves!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

After surviving a bed bug infestation, I never travel without thoroughly inspecting the room before settling in. I found evidence of bed bugs in both mattresses (blood stains on the mattress indicative of crushed bed bugs, dead bed bugs, and molt casts). I went back to the front desk and mentioned what I found and was told "Yeah, unfortunately that's not too uncommon down here". I received a full refund, and everyone I talked to was pleasant. I feel bad leaving this review, but I know it would be irresponsible of me to not warn others. I understand that the hotel complex has many buildings, so some may be safe to stay in. I do not remember which room I was in, but it was in building 1000 on the ground floor next to the exterior door. I only spent about 10 minutes in this hotel, so I can't report on much other than this.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I am so sorry to hear about the experience you had at our hotel. The room that you claim to have seen bugs in was actually under construction at the time of your stay. Bed Bugs are not a common occurrence at our hotel and we take reports very seriously. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can gather a little more information about your stay because I do not seem to have record of a complaint.

Daytona Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We found this hotel to be very disappointing. We bid on it on a popular web site. The category we chose was 3 stars, so we figured we were safe... But upon arrival, we found most things to be in disrepair, from the leaking entry roof on the way to check in, to the carpets, which were ragged, to the industrial hallways on the way to our room. Inside the room, it smels like big spray, there is an older air conditioning unit, upholstery in chair and headboard is ratty, wood furniture is chipped - and the metal legged desk (again, with industrial theme), are actually rusty. In addition, there is no plug outlet by the bed - AND they charged us an "amenity fee" upon check in, for Internet, among other things (even thgh they say free Internet); and I am only getting one bar of Internet w/ no reception. ...Even though we prepaid, we may still move. Oh, the night tables are also dirty and wet with stains.

Room Tip: Dont book this hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that you disagree with the AAA rating of our hotel. We have met all of the guidelines and regulations to be classified as a 3 star hotel and have for many years. Per your description of the furniture in your room, it sounds like you were in (or are currently in) one of our older style rooms. Our property is in the middle of major renovations and, unfortunately, not all of the rooms have been completely finished. Our new rooms boast new carpet, furniture, mattresses, mini-fridges, and microwaves and I'm sorry that you were not able to experience one of them. We have taken great care to avoid a "industrial" look in our rooms. The hallways have all been completely redone with new carpet, paint, drop ceilings, and light fixtures and are not "industrial" in the slightest. As for the leak in our portacashe, that has happened recently and we are in the process of repairing it. I am sorry it occurred during your stay with us but rest assured that we are addressing the issue.

The amenity fee that you mentioned does not cover just our internet. It allows access to all of the amenities our hotel has to offer including our renovated fitness center, our shuttle service, our business center, and our lakeside pool. Our property offers a wide range of amenities to make our guests feel right at home. I hope you will you will hear about all of the positive changes we are making at the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites and that you re-book with us to experience them first hand. We would love to have you stay with us again.
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here because it was a host hotel for my daughters gymnastics camp. It was also a host hotel for a basketball tournament. They have 3 buildings! Why would you put gymnasts in the same building as basketball players. The kids were running up and down the halls all night long. Going in and out of the stairwell slamming that door. Yelling in the acting like fools in the stair well. To top it all off the last night we were there some of the boys were fighting in the hall outside my door. Cursing, slamming each other around, throwing things. It was ridiculous! My poor daughter had to get up at 6:30am every morning to go to the gym and do gymnastics for 8 hours.
We had to sign a noise agreement that we would be quiet after 10:00, I guess that rule didn't apply to everyone. I will NEVER stay here again! When I complained about it all the said was "We are sorry for the Inconvenience we are aware of what was going on and we are taking care of it". Please. They did nothing to make me want to stay there again!

Room Tip: Make sure there are no kids tournaments going on if you stay here.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Nicole,
I am sorry to hear about your disappointment in your stay with us. Unfortunately, we cannot control nor would I hope you would hold us accountable for the actions of the other guests in our hotel. We did receive complaints about the children in the hallways and immediately sent our houseman to the hallways to patrol and keep kids in their rooms. Once the houseman's scheduled shift was over, I personally came back to the hotel and patrolled halls until 1:30 am. We did the best we could to reduce the amount of activity in hallways and did not receive any calls following the initial calls when we sent our houseman to patrol. The noise agreement that you signed at check in was also signed by the basketball teams and they were charged an additional amount according to the agreement. If your group had been an issue, they would have been charged the same fee, regardless of their athletic association. I am glad it did not come to that in your case but it is unfair for you to assume that we do not hold all of our guests to the same standards.

You were correct in saying that our property has 3 buildings but only 2 of them have hotel rooms. The lobby building houses our banquet and meeting space as well as our restaurant and bar. The weekend you stayed with us we had multiple groups with us; a basketball tournament, a wedding, a state-wide bridge tournament, and the individuals involved with the gymnastics camp. When assigning rooms to our groups in house, we do our best to place like groups near each other so as to diminish the amounts of issues with our guests. The basketball tournament AND the gymnastics camp fell into the same age category so they were placed in the same building. The other groups clearly fell into a different age bracket and were assigned rooms accordingly. Again, I am sorry to hear about your disappointment in your stay with us but our hotel should not be held accountable for the actions of our guests when we actively did all that we could in successfully quieting the situation that arose. Our property is focused on 100% guest satisfaction and it's sad to see that hotel reviews have strayed away from the actual hotel to the opinions of other guests that stay at the hotel.
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Arrived with my hotel coupon in hand..greeted by a nice young man (Monday July 1 at 5pm with a sincere hello. He gave us a nice room, with a king size bed. We thoroughly enjoyed our bartender Jake during happy hour with a buy 1 get 1. He makes a fabulous martini. I believe this little treasure is forgotten, due to its location..,but it is just a mere 2+ miles off of Rt. 75 and well worth the stop. A Beautiful lake and a lovely pool round out a great get away or an overnight stop.
Plenty of parking s a plus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to leave us a review! I'm so glad to hear you were able to enjoy our daily happy hour specials in our bar. Jake is an excellent employee and it's great to see some public praise for his hard work. I hope you made use of the hot breakfast buffet in the morning as well. Please feel free to contact us again so we can book you into one of our rooms directly overlooking the lake!

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!