“Pleasantly surprised.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Englewood, Florida
“Pleasantly surprised.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Decided to stop for an impromptu visit to see our daughter as we were passing through. We had no reservations and our regular hotels were full since there were some sporting events in town so we had to search for a place to stay. We have never stayed on this side of town due to most of the hotels being seedy. We were pleasantly surprised that Paramount even had a room let alone one that was updated, clean, and very comfortable. They are in the process of replacing the carpeting and furnishings in some of the rooms so it will get even better. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for being "PLEASENTLY SURPRISED" at our property. We love it when we can capture a new guest. The Paramount Plaza has a lot to offer our guest llike, lower rates, full serivice restaurant & Bar, Room Service, shuttle service, late check-out, complimentry news papers, and the list goes on. Oh and not to mention our great SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. Again, we would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

693 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Dayton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My mom unexpectedly went into Shands Hospital (about a mile away) and we ended up spending a week here. Considering my aunt had found the hotel, we did not know what to expect, but the Shands hospital rate was good so we said we'd try it... and we stayed!

PROS:
-extremely friendly and helpful staff, from the shuttle drivers to housekeeping, desk to maintenance
-for an aged property - on a lake- in Florida - very clean premises! saw just one indoor ant in 8 whole days. Hallways were getting new paint during our stay. Lovely landscaping. Lobby has a beautiful floor.
-every room has a balcony and two chairs (yeah they're plastic, but they're comfy plastic Adirondack-style chairs)
-comfy beds and very decent decor (some rooms are more updated than others but they're apparently all going to be modernized soon - every room had a flat screen on a swivel table at least)
-shuttle will take you just about anywhere you need to go, if you arrange ahead of time
-within walking distance of Chopstix Cafe which is freakin' delicious :-)
-great pool if it's warm enough (air temperature was 80 one January day and the pool was pretty cold, but would be great other times of the year)
-completely non-smoking property. So if you go out on your balcony, you won't smell your neighbors smoking on theirs.
-wifi! works well in both buildings, too! my husband was able to work remotely the whole week we were there.

CONS:
-No free breakfast, and the (admittedly) inexpensive breakfast offered isn't very good
-No (free) coffee in the lobby... there is in the rooms, but sometimes you just want a big cup with real creamer, ya know?
-Parking can get pretty competitive on weekends, but nothing is too far from either building and Gainesville is very safe
-Room Buildings are separate from the main lobby/conference building, so if you wanted to wander down in your PJs you have to go outside
-a lot of the doors don't close smoothly. We were in four different rooms during our stay (for reasons that had to do with our family, not the hotel) and two of them needed to be slammed in order to close properly. Which makes for noisy neighbors. I chatted with a guy who had been coming to stay there for years and he said they've always slammed like that. It is an older facility, but we were cursing our neighbors one night thinking they were jerks, when really they were probably just trying to get the door to shut!

The only reason I do not rate this place "Excellent" is that if I had to pay the full room rate, I would not have been satisfied at the value. The Shands rate we received was equal or better to what a Priceline bid probably would have gotten us, and I felt very happy with that. For the $2.50 "facilities fee" I wish they'd have free lobby coffee :-)

Room Tip: As of our stay (Jan/Feb 2013), the even-numbered rooms in building 1000 did not have refrigerators a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did while staying with us. It is not offten that we get to hear the positve. We like that you pointed out your Pros and Cons of the property. Let me assure you that we take every comment seriously and will address each of your issues. We hope that when you are back in the area again that you will choose the Paramount Plaza for your accomidations.

Cocoa Beach,Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a deceptively large hotel close to the University of Florida in Gainesville Florida. No doubt that location drives a lot of the visitors as it did me. The problem is this hotel is old, overused and under maintained. It has that 1960's beat feeling about it. The rooms are dingy. The beds and pillows are not comfortable. It was marginally clean. The hallways smelled like mold . The staff was doing the best they could given the product. Our phone didn't work. They apparently just went non smoking in January 2013. The hotel has a restaurant , the food was average. There is a pool but again old and stained. Stay here if you need a cheap place to stay near UF and you don't mind dingy.

• Stayed February 2013
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to let us know about you recent stay. The Paramount Plaza is currently undergoing MAJOR renovations and I am sure you could see that by all the signs that we have posted on the property. We are replacing everything from carpet, lighting, bedding, phones and case goods. We are sorry that you could not experiance our newly renovated building but I would like to offer you the chance to do so. I can assure you that we have correct all the issues that you had while you were with us. Please contact me direct to book your next stay with us. 352-377-4000
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I love this hotel, as my son and I stay here every 3 months for his check up at Shands. And I guess we have come to be somewhat spoiled by Excellent service in our 4trips in 2012. So I was a bit disappointed this trip with the staff at check in. One associate tied up with another couple, but I'd not even acknowledge us with a " I'll be with you in a moment". Just got a glance and she went back to the couple. Finally another associate came out and no mention of "I'm sorry, hope you haven't been waiting", just "have you been helped". Obviously not, since I was standing there with my son. The kicker is my key was coded for room but not to get into hotel. Thank goodness we were let in by another guest. Again, an attitude of indifference when we trekked back to front desk-no"we are so sorry"just "what room are you in?" this is not typical, maybe new associates.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
rob1302, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Ms. Robin I would like to apoligize for the poor service that you received at checkin and during your stay. You are right, we do have new associates at the front desk and are still training. I will make sure that I address all the issues with our team. I am the new manager of the Paramount Plaza Hotel and I take great pride and making sure that we meet every guest needs. We are making great changes to the property so that every guest stay is a memoriable one. I want to thank you for staying with us each and everytime that you come to Gainesville. When you return on your next trip to Gainesville I would like to offer you a free upgrade to one of our newly renovated deluxe rooms with a Lake View. Please contact me direct at 352-377-4000 ext 3420.
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have stayed here numerous times over the years and this stay was no different than any other. The price, service and quality cant be beat anywhere in the area. Its a little farther off the interstate than other hotels but is easy to find and worth the trip if you want a relaxing stay at a nice quiet hotel. Its on a lake and its worth the extra charge to get a lakefront room if possible. I would recommend this hotel to anybody that wants a good place to stay in the Gainesville FL area.

Room Tip: Get lakefront if possible for maximum view and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I would like to say " THANK YOU" for the great review. We are greatful that you chose to stay with us again. We are currently making great changes with the hotel, new guest rooms complete remodle with new flat screen t..v's, bedding, furniture and case goods. Our rooms with a view of Bivens Lake are wonderful. Each room has its own private balcony which makes each guest stay even better. We hope that when you are traveling to Gainesville again you will choose us again for your accomidations.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

but I wouldn't stay here again if you paid me! As I was waiting to get my room key, the front desk person answered the phone and told the caller, "No, we don't rent by the hour". That should have been the first clue! However, I went forward. The first room I was given smelled of smoke (this is a "100% smoke-free facility") so I asked to be moved. The second room didn't smell like smoke, but I so didn't feel safe here. I ended up staying for one night ($49.40 was way more than the room was worth), but my co-worker refused to stay. (Interestingly enough, when she went to the front desk and said "I just checked in..." the person at the front desk didn't even let her finish before he asked if she wanted a refund). I should have gone with her to another hotel!
Until they get rid of the mold, smell, dubious guests, etc., I will not return. Gainesville, you deserve better than this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. It is Dishearting to hear that you had such an experiance with us. I can assure you that I have taken great messures to correct every issuse that you had while staying with us. The Paramount Plaza is currently under going renovations to our guest rooms and part of the process is becoming
100 % smoke free, I apoligize that you had a room that was smoked by a previous guest. Our property is large and sits on 7.5 acers of land the two buildings that have our guest rooms are interior corridor with automatic locking doors, we take guest safety very serious at the Paramount Plaza and rest assured we want you to feel safe. Our staff is very seasoned staff and have been with us for many years and to hear that a staff member would address a guest with such unsatisfactory service is not tolerable. We know that you have many choices for accomidations when visiting the Gainesville area and would like to extend an oppurtunity for you to experiance our true hospitality that we are know for at the Paramount Plaza Hotel. Based on all our great reviews on TripAdvisor you can see that when we have a bad review we address the issues immediatly with corrective action. If you are ever in the area again or would like to talk about your recent stay please contact me direct at 352-377-4000 ext 3420
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very comfortable room included a mini refrigerator and microwave. Comfortable bed, plenty of towels and great wifi. Everything I needed at a great price. Staff was friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us such a rave review. Gainesville has many options for accomidations and the Paramount Plaza is honored that you chose us. If you are ever returning to the area please contact us direct and save. 352-377-4000
Robert Knight

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!