My mom unexpectedly went into Shands Hospital (about a mile away) and we ended up spending a week here. Considering my aunt had found the hotel, we did not know what to expect, but the Shands hospital rate was good so we said we'd try it... and we stayed!
-extremely friendly and helpful staff, from the shuttle drivers to housekeeping, desk to maintenance
-for an aged property - on a lake- in Florida - very clean premises! saw just one indoor ant in 8 whole days. Hallways were getting new paint during our stay. Lovely landscaping. Lobby has a beautiful floor.
-every room has a balcony and two chairs (yeah they're plastic, but they're comfy plastic Adirondack-style chairs)
-comfy beds and very decent decor (some rooms are more updated than others but they're apparently all going to be modernized soon - every room had a flat screen on a swivel table at least)
-shuttle will take you just about anywhere you need to go, if you arrange ahead of time
-within walking distance of Chopstix Cafe which is freakin' delicious :-)
-great pool if it's warm enough (air temperature was 80 one January day and the pool was pretty cold, but would be great other times of the year)
-completely non-smoking property. So if you go out on your balcony, you won't smell your neighbors smoking on theirs.
-wifi! works well in both buildings, too! my husband was able to work remotely the whole week we were there.
-No free breakfast, and the (admittedly) inexpensive breakfast offered isn't very good
-No (free) coffee in the lobby... there is in the rooms, but sometimes you just want a big cup with real creamer, ya know?
-Parking can get pretty competitive on weekends, but nothing is too far from either building and Gainesville is very safe
-Room Buildings are separate from the main lobby/conference building, so if you wanted to wander down in your PJs you have to go outside
-a lot of the doors don't close smoothly. We were in four different rooms during our stay (for reasons that had to do with our family, not the hotel) and two of them needed to be slammed in order to close properly. Which makes for noisy neighbors. I chatted with a guy who had been coming to stay there for years and he said they've always slammed like that. It is an older facility, but we were cursing our neighbors one night thinking they were jerks, when really they were probably just trying to get the door to shut!
The only reason I do not rate this place "Excellent" is that if I had to pay the full room rate, I would not have been satisfied at the value. The Shands rate we received was equal or better to what a Priceline bid probably would have gotten us, and I felt very happy with that. For the $2.50 "facilities fee" I wish they'd have free lobby coffee :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Paramount Plaza Hotel and Conference Center stands out amongst the best accommodations in Gainesville, Florida. Bordered by the picturesque Bivens Arm Lake Nature Preserve, the hotel is Gainesville's only lakefront hotel, offering a taste of Florida the way it used to be. Renovated in 2012-13, the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Conference Center offers full-service Gainesville hotel lodging at surprisingly affordable rates. Convenient Gainesville Hotel Location The Paramount Plaza is ideally located only minutes from Gainesville's most important and popular attractions and venues, such as the University of Florida, the Butterfly Rain forest, Paynes Prairie State Park, the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, and Shands Teaching Hospital at The University of Florida. The hotel is a short drive North of historic Micanopy and antique shopping, and just a few miles from downtown Gainesville. Each of our 197 large NON-SMOKING, comfortable guest rooms and suites are designed to meet your Gainesville accommodation needs. Our guest rooms are larger than most hotels in the area, which leaves you with plenty of space to create your home away from home. In-room guest amenities include coffee makers, wireless Internet access, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards. Unwind on one of our comfortable pillow-top beds and catch up on your relaxation with remote controlled cable television. The Paramount Plaza offers free shuttle services from 7:30 a.M. To 5:30 p.M. Daily upon scheduling at check-in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paramount Plaza Hotel And Suites
- Paramount Plaza Hotel Gainesville
- Paramount Gainesville
- Gainesville Paramount