“Nice enough” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Booking.com Expedia.com
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
SANTA FE
“Nice enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

It was OK, but not anything special. The pool is really nicer, but was not heated so did not use. Grounds are pleasant, but unsure why the lake is fenced off and trees hide it from view to a certain extent. Glad it was a quiet period; this is a big complex and could see it being very busy at times. Checkout seemed to take longer than it should in this computer age. Not sure what the extra "amenity fee" really got us; we were on a long trip and this is the only place that charged that, yet we got similar facilities at other hotels without an "amenity fee".

Room Tip: Stay on a top floor for the views, light, and to avoid noisy neighbors above.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you Robert L for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay was. The Paramount Plaza Hotel is built next to a nature preserve that is protected by the state of Florida, that is why it is fenced off to the general public. I apoligize for the staff not explaining our amenity fee. If you are back in the area ever again please contact me direct, I would like to offer you a upgraded room. Thank you

622 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
West Palm Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I highly recommend the Paramount Plaza in Gainesville, FL. I have experiened multiple stays. Most recently, the staff member, Mr. Willie Jones gave us an extra special hand with our needs and was so professional and gracious. What an exceptional employee!!
Thanks Paramount....

Room Tip: Get a lakeview room without a doubt!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hi Donna!!
Thank you so much for your glowing review. It literally made me say "Awww! I love willie too!" when I read it. He hold the door for me every day when I come to work, as my arms are always full. But he does the same for every guest as well. He is a kind hearted soul and a perfect example of how our staff shines! Thank you so much for acknoledging him!
See you on your next visit!
Tracy Ryan
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

scheduled the stay for family members on their first vacation in over 10 years ... the Manager Robert Knight was very helpful in everything from planning ... booking to almost daily checking in to make sure everything was going well ... he chose the perfect room for them .. great view ... excellent service for the entire stay and always helpful and friendly staff ..

Room Tip: My family members stayed in a lake view room in the 2000 building .. it was wonderful for someone wh...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Robert Knight is one our shining stars and we are proud to have him a member of our team. Thank you so much for your glowing reviews. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Gainesville. Happy Holidays!
Bedminster, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I was staying at the hotel for a clinic at Shands. The staff were cheerful and helpful. From Travis and Marcel in the vans, to Holly and Patrick at the front desk, to the morning buffet waiters, to the housekeeping staff, they were responsive and friendly.They even went out of their way to open doors and help patients feel safe and comfortable.

Although a cliche, they made you feel like home and they even suggested I could not leave. The only negative was a change in the router which caused some inconvenience for Internet junkies. The problem is Cox, not the staff.

Thank you.

Room Tip: I did not rate the Spa because I did not use it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that we met all your expectations. It is not offten enough that we hear kind words like yours. I would like to apoligize for the internet while you were with us. We have started renovations of the hotel and upgrading the internet is just one of the many changes we have made. Please contact us direct for your future stays at 352-377-4000.
The Villages, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

For the price ($49 for people with family in Shands Hospital) it was great! Clean, comfortable beds, and quiet. The restaurant was fair and the breakfast buffet inexpensive. Sufficient parking and personnel. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Tima was especially helpful. Rooms were larger than most hotels and everything inside worked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay in Gainesville. Please dont hesitate to contact us again regarding your needs for any trips to Gaiensville. Tima will be here and will be happy to help! :-) Happy Holidays.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

The staff I dealt with on a daily basis for two weeks that I was staying there while waiting to deliver my baby at Shands were Robert the manager he went above and beyond to make sure I had a comfortable stay... the front desk staff Patrick, Tima, and Jason were very kind and courteous and always willing to lend me a hand... Shuttle drivers Travis and Marcell were alway kind, generous, prompted with pick up times and easy to talk to... Café staff Evelin, Racheal (young girl with cool earrings), then the two men servers were an older man with longer hair and glasses I think his name was Ron and then the other guy worked at night too kinda sandy blonde hair and really tall, they were all great servers... And last but not least I can't forget my room service lady Desirea she was very warm hearted very concerned with my health and the baby and the only room service person who knew how to clean a room and kept me accommodated with everything I needed and comfortable during my stay... I will have to be returning to Shands frequently due to a disability my daughter was born with but I will never hesitate on which hotel I will be staying in... Paramount Plaza 100%!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking time out to let us know that we met all your expectations while you stayed with us. We will share all your kind words with all the staff that you had contact with while staying with us. We pride ourselves on great southern hospitality and making each guest stay a memoriable one. If you are traveling back to the area again please contact us direct to book the best price.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Some quirks that need fixing, but a decent two night stay here, thanks to a reservation made by my university hosts when I couldn't find a decently priced room for a Friday night during a football weekend. Large hotel that requires you go outside again to get to your room. Elevators did not really work: sometimes would not come, or would require you to keep pushing the button, sometimes would go down and then go up, or vice versa. Rooms of nice size, no complaints there. They gave me a room with a "lake view," which might have been nicer if the weather had not been overcast/chilly all during my stay.

Breakfast was either 6 dollars on weekdays or 9 dollars on weekends. (The hotel gave me coupons for "continental breakfast", that meant I could have paid 3 dollars more on the weekend for the "full" cooked breakfast. But for some reason, juice was additional cost for either option.) Free shuttle to airport and UF (by appointment) did work.

There was some confusion between the university and the hotel about my arrival date and my reservation. To the credit of the hotel management and front desk, they did make sure to accommodate me and to ultimately give me the lower priced rate I was led to believe I would be paying.

Seems to be extremely popular during UF athletic events, and the UF football team stayed there overnight the Friday I was there.

Room Tip: Ask for a "lake view" room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We know that when travling to the Gainesville area you have many choices for accomidations and would like to thank you for choosing the Paramount Plaza Hotel Suites & Conference Center. I can assure you that we have taken steps to correct the issues that you have mentioned. We are currently undergoing major renovations to our guest rooms which also include our elevators. Our property is built on Bivens Lake Natural Preserve which make for a intresting layout of the buildings, The 3 buildings do adjoin on our first floor level by covered walkways. I am sorry there was confusion with your breakfast arrangements. The Paramount Plaza has undergone great managment changes and you will see many great new things coming. I would like to offer you a free upgrade to one of our Lakeside Suites which includes our full hot breakfast. Please contact me direct to book your next stay with us 352-377-4000 ext 3301.

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!