“Our Gainesville visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 44 hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
The Villages, Florida, United States
“Our Gainesville visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

For the price ($49 for people with family in Shands Hospital) it was great! Clean, comfortable beds, and quiet. The restaurant was fair and the breakfast buffet inexpensive. Sufficient parking and personnel. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Tima was especially helpful. Rooms were larger than most hotels and everything inside worked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay in Gainesville. Please dont hesitate to contact us again regarding your needs for any trips to Gaiensville. Tima will be here and will be happy to help! :-) Happy Holidays.

693 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

The staff I dealt with on a daily basis for two weeks that I was staying there while waiting to deliver my baby at Shands were Robert the manager he went above and beyond to make sure I had a comfortable stay... the front desk staff Patrick, Tima, and Jason were very kind and courteous and always willing to lend me a hand... Shuttle drivers Travis and Marcell were alway kind, generous, prompted with pick up times and easy to talk to... Café staff Evelin, Racheal (young girl with cool earrings), then the two men servers were an older man with longer hair and glasses I think his name was Ron and then the other guy worked at night too kinda sandy blonde hair and really tall, they were all great servers... And last but not least I can't forget my room service lady Desirea she was very warm hearted very concerned with my health and the baby and the only room service person who knew how to clean a room and kept me accommodated with everything I needed and comfortable during my stay... I will have to be returning to Shands frequently due to a disability my daughter was born with but I will never hesitate on which hotel I will be staying in... Paramount Plaza 100%!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Robert K, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking time out to let us know that we met all your expectations while you stayed with us. We will share all your kind words with all the staff that you had contact with while staying with us. We pride ourselves on great southern hospitality and making each guest stay a memoriable one. If you are traveling back to the area again please contact us direct to book the best price.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Some quirks that need fixing, but a decent two night stay here, thanks to a reservation made by my university hosts when I couldn't find a decently priced room for a Friday night during a football weekend. Large hotel that requires you go outside again to get to your room. Elevators did not really work: sometimes would not come, or would require you to keep pushing the button, sometimes would go down and then go up, or vice versa. Rooms of nice size, no complaints there. They gave me a room with a "lake view," which might have been nicer if the weather had not been overcast/chilly all during my stay.

Breakfast was either 6 dollars on weekdays or 9 dollars on weekends. (The hotel gave me coupons for "continental breakfast", that meant I could have paid 3 dollars more on the weekend for the "full" cooked breakfast. But for some reason, juice was additional cost for either option.) Free shuttle to airport and UF (by appointment) did work.

There was some confusion between the university and the hotel about my arrival date and my reservation. To the credit of the hotel management and front desk, they did make sure to accommodate me and to ultimately give me the lower priced rate I was led to believe I would be paying.

Seems to be extremely popular during UF athletic events, and the UF football team stayed there overnight the Friday I was there.

Room Tip: Ask for a "lake view" room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We know that when travling to the Gainesville area you have many choices for accomidations and would like to thank you for choosing the Paramount Plaza Hotel Suites & Conference Center. I can assure you that we have taken steps to correct the issues that you have mentioned. We are currently undergoing major renovations to our guest rooms which also include our elevators. Our property is built on Bivens Lake Natural Preserve which make for a intresting layout of the buildings, The 3 buildings do adjoin on our first floor level by covered walkways. I am sorry there was confusion with your breakfast arrangements. The Paramount Plaza has undergone great managment changes and you will see many great new things coming. I would like to offer you a free upgrade to one of our Lakeside Suites which includes our full hot breakfast. Please contact me direct to book your next stay with us 352-377-4000 ext 3301.
Thomasville, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

What a wonderful surprise!! The room was much more than we expected.

It was my husband’s 70th birthday and we surprised him. He knew that the two of us were going to Gainesville, but had no idea our daughter and grandson were meeting us for dinner. Brenda went above and beyond to help us surprise him (and he was surprised). Without her help on my several phone calls I made to check on different things, it would not have worked as well but it did. .

My husband and I drove 3 hours to get there, our daughter drove 4 hours. They couldn’t spend the night, but all of us loved the room. We will make it a hotel that we would meet at in the future.

Clean rooms, helpful and friendly staff makes this a perfect place to stay when in Gainesville.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Aww Thank you for the kind words! We love Brenda too! I'm glad your event and weekend was fantastic!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Recently me and my boyfriend stayed here for the "fest" weekend, everything was fine until the last night when we arrived back to find $700 STOLEN!!!! from our room.

Any member of staff we approached for help dismissed us saying they were not liable. No one cared about what happened to us and no one helped us! An absolute disgrace! They actually said to my boyfriend that if he didn't calm down then they would removed him from the premises, (maybe if you had helped him then he wouldn't have had to start yelling) this is not what i deem as customer service. He had all of his money robbed from him for the remainder of the holiday and all the manager could say was that in the small print states that the hotel is not responsible for what goes missing in the room. You're probably thinking why didn't we use the safe, well the safe didn't work.

They showed no compassion or sympathy towards us which made it all feel worse, they said they would send someone to out room to read the door lock to see if anyone could have got into our room, we waited an hour and no one showed up.

This just felt like the icing on the cake for us because we still didn't have a bag that had gone missing because the airport had it and just refused to deliver it to the hotel.

All of this together was beyond pathetic and it looking back at the holiday I'm struggling to find what the highlights were. Paramount Plaza you ruined my holiday and what should have been the best weekend. I hope people read this and if they still chose to stay here are very careful with there belongings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PlazaMgmt, Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
I'm so sorry for your problems on your stay with us. I can guarantee you that this is not by any means tolerated and definitely not common practice at our property. We have a zero-tolerance policy towards theft and have not had any problems with this in the past. Our hotel is proud to provide above satisfaction service to over 3,500 rooms a month and have never had this as a problem. We simply would not be in business if this was the case. While there is a disclaimer that is signed by every guest upon check in, stating that hotel management is not responsible for lost goods, we still are very dishearten to hear that you had a problem. This is never our goal and it not our way of doing business.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I travel to Gainesville FL for The Fest from Australia. The hotel was everything I needed for a short 2 week trip. The staff helped a lot with random questions and directions. A man named Patrick at front desk did everything he could to make my stay very enjoyable

• Stayed October 2012
PlazaMgmt, Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our staff. As a senior reviewer for Trip Advisor, you opinion means a lot to us and I'm glad to see we exceeded your expectations. Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit!
Best Regards,
Tracy Ryan
Bloomingdale, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Two friends and I stayed for 3 nights during the Fest' this year. The bartenders Evan and Rachel were extremely gracious and good company for some out-of-towners (from New Jersey) looking to see some good music and eat some delicious food. The shuttle driver Travis pointed out and delivered us to a Mexican food joint called El Indio that was unforgettable. Also the man working the desk personally called me to let us know a room had opened up that they hadn't anticipated opening. We will be staying at Paramount if we return to Fest next October. The shuttle was a fantastic perk of the hotel but if it ran until the shows got out it would have been far more convenient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
El Indio is a favorite local place for Gainesville! I'm so glad you got to enjoy not only the Fest, but also some of Gainesville's local tasty cuisine! Thank you for your kind words on our fantastic staff. We love Evan, Rachel and Travis (along with the rest of our staff)!! We will see you next year!
Many Thanks!
Tracy Ryan

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!