“Close to UF and Shands, but well-worn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites

You added Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2900 South West 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608 (Formerly Sheraton Gainesville)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Florida
“Close to UF and Shands, but well-worn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Hotel/front desk staff VERY nice, friendly and helpful, and the hotel is a good price, but the reason is it is very worn - old everything - nicked furniture, old carpets, old, very slow elevator, very lumpy pillows, foam mattress without much support, super thin towels (I know this is pretty standard anywhere you go these days). The shower didn't drain so we ended up standing in inches deep water by the time we were finished, the water took a very long time to get warm. The worst was we had a HUGE Palmetto bug in our room the first night. For those of you who don't know what they are, they are giant flying cockroaches that Florida is famous for. They don't indicate dirtiness, but still - we wondered about pest control. That was awful. My niece was with my daughter and I and she killed it for us, otherwise we would not have been able to sleep.

Good location very close to UF (we went to my daughter's preview/orientation there) so that was a plus. I don't think I'll stay again though.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. Our property is undergoing major renovations at the moment to improve the experience for the guests. The new rooms include new carpet, mattresses, furniture, flat-screen T.V.'s, microwaves, and mini-fridges. Our property also has many amenities for the guests to utilize including a shuttle service, a fitness center, a business center, and a lakeside pool. Contact us directly to book your next stay!

Richard@paramountplaza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The service that we received was outstanding! The cleaning and maintenance staff were friendly and courteous. The waiters and waitresses in the onsite restaurant were friendly and helpful. The front desk staff were friendly and informative. The room was clean and had everything that we needed in it. The location was convenient to Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park and Downtown Gainesville. The onsite restaurant was incredibly convenient and we enjoyed every meal that we ate there. We also enjoyed shooting pool right outside the entrance to the restaurant. The swimming pool was enjoyable on Saturday afternoon. What I liked best was the friendliness of the staff. What I liked least was the low water levels in Bivens Arm Lake next door. Hopefully it will rebound soon. Overall, a great visit!

Room Tip: We were very happy on the ground floor. Our room was convenient to the swimming pool. Both parking...

gainesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have been very pleased with my stay at the paramount. Its an old resort so it gives you the pampered feel without an outrageous price. Evan the bartender makes the bar a fun place to relax and have nice time. The excellent menu of great food can either really, really good, or not so good depending on what cook is working. The in house music they have during happy hour, makes a great environment as well, with the mellow jazz the artist plays will truly take your worries away for the moment.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Saipan, Mariana Islands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights and was put on the 1st floor which is 2 floors below the actual lobby. The lobby was located on the 3rd floor. Getting to my room required some work. Need an access card every time you go from lobby/parking lot to the elevator inside. The halls reaked of food because of people throwing them in the trash bins outside the vending areas. The room itself was quite spacious. The desk chair was a bit too short so I felt like a kid sitting at a high-top. A bit too dim for my liking.

Now onto the staff. The front desk just did not seem to care about me or the other guests. It's as if there were just killing time. Another thing was the cleaning staff. They were loud and swearing when they were cleaning out the rooms every morning.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

ft.myers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Had a Great Stay. I will be back again! The employees went over the top, to make you feel Welcome. The resturant menu was supurb. Plenty of parking.

Lake Wales, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We had a wonderful time in! Our check in process was smooth and the room was perfect. The view and balcony were like no other room I have had in Gainesville. We got to see the sun rise on the lake, breathtaking! We enjoyed drinks and appetizers at the Lakeside Grill with a fun and very nice bartender. The bed was so soft and we slept like babies! The pool was wonderful with a view of the lake and relaxing. Parking was always available close to our room and luggage carts were also easy to find.
We look forward to staying again and again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
RKGM1, General Manager at Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and wonderful comments. I will be sure to share with our staff. We are pleased that you had a positive experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Gainesville and The Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites.

Robert Knight
Pensacola, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was very impressed with the size of the room. I had read several reviews about the hotel before booking so I was not surprised when the fan in the bathroom didn't work, or when we rode in the elevator and it was stuffy and a little scary. I was shocked however with how rude the front desk staff were. Several of the reviews I read said how wonderful and helpful the staff was. That was not my experience. I stayed Saturday through Monday. On Sunday afternoon when I returned to the room the key let me in the building but would not let me in the room. It was raining outside so I decided to venture through the inside maze to get to the front desk to inquire about my room key. Apparently I inconvenienced the lady by asking why my key wouldn't work and if there was a more direct route to my room. Then upon check-out on Monday morning the man was a bit annoyed when I asked for a total of my charges. When I got home Monday night I realized I had made a mistake by leaving a charger in the room. I immediately called the hotel to ask about it and was told I could leave a message with housekeeping or call back in the morning because the front desk doesn't have any knowledge of items left behind. When I called back Tuesday morning I was transferred to a voice mail so I hung up and called again. This second phone call completely annoyed the lady who answered the phone who then yelled at me and slammed the phone down. All of that to say that the rooms are nice for the money paid but don't expect any courtesy from the front desk staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Richard@paramountplaza.com

Been to Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!